Bagby Hot Springs Trail

Bagby Hot Springs Trail is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ripplebrook, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

hot springs

old growth

This hike goes through one of the last stands of Old Growth Forest in Oregon, along windy ridges, through burned out slopes, across talus rubble fields, and past serene blue lakes. Connects Bagby Trail (544) to Twin Lakes Trail (573) to Mother Lode Trail (558) and Pansy Lake (551).

Awesome trail. Had to wait about 45 minutes for the hot spring but was worth it. Also note we went during the fall and there seemed to be less "party goers".

The Bagby hot springs are best described by the pile of strawberry mixed drink vomit that we had to avoid on the trail. 5 Star out and back trail with a -3 Stars for the hepatitis tubs.

Trail is gorgeous. Hot springs are not. Trash everywhere, graffiti, broken glass, etc. We were there mid week and saw three or four other parties in the afternoon heading up there but no line. April 23, 2018. We were very glad we had set low expectations going in because upon seeing the conditions of the springs you could not have paid me to get into them. Vomit on the trail to boot. Three star rating for the hike, but if you’re looking for a relaxing, hygienic soak, this may not be the dream spot you have in mind.

great trail. was there today, sunny and a little chilly. amazing and beautiful!

Figured it was a Friday and most people would be at work - wrong. It hadn't snowed enough, so the roads were accessible and in good enough condition for anyone to get to. I was in a 4runner, though there were icy spots, it wasn't necessary to have 4wd. Hike was beautiful, as always, but waited over an hour for a tub... As I was leaving (around 2pm) a large group of about 10 people was hiking up the last part of the trail, with 3-4 more groups on the trail. Popular for a good reason, but I still have not found the perfect, quiet time to go.

Rated 3 due to crowd size.

has it been snowed out yet? its at its most peaceful when the roads closed down and you have to walk 5 miles in! and thanks for the heads up on the plugs kasey!

Was there last Saturday, trail is good. Roads were icy near the rivers. Bring something to plug the tub drains.

If you hike this during the summer months you'll definitely have to wait in line.

For this discussion, I will say there are two types of hikers at this location. The day hiker and the night hiker, the night hikers can be volatile. I am not saying this is everyone, but they are there to party. Some drink, smoke marijuana, and some do both.
However, this most important rule I live by. There are hippies in Oregon and the last person to use that tub may have been his/her first bath in months. There are cleaning brushes there. So, clean the tub before using them. I have been there many times, 1984 to 2009.

Great hike in an out. Didn't get into the spring tubs but really enjoyed the vistas while we hiked along the river.

Beautiful hike but the tubs were anticlimactic. Not all tubs have plugs, good luck.

enchanting trail. hot springs a definite treat!

Nice easy hike. The hot springs at the top are very relaxing. Early spring/late winter when the snow is still on the ground is my favorite time for this hike.

been going to bagbe for over 20years. I prefer late fall and winter. cold clear nights, and not many people if any. high possibility of seeing naked folk, so keep that in mind.

Went on a random Tuesday afternoon and took the dogs. Nice easy trail and no waiting for a tub!

Way too many people but that was my fault for going up on Memorial Day. Kind of a let down compared to having terwilager hot springs all to myself.

soaking in the tub is fun but I wish the hike was longer.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

ABSOLUTELY the best hike of my life. Gorgeous green & lush! The springs are amazing.. so beautiful. Can't wait to go again!

Thursday, May 04, 2017

magic pure magic , don't forget you biodegradable glitter to throw on the glitter stump!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

can't use words to explain how much I love this place. I go at least 3 times a year!

Monday, March 20, 2017

I go for the hot springs, but definitely not a hard hike. The view off the bridge is amazing :) Only thing is sometimes there is heavy traffic and all the tubs are full so you have to wait for one.

Monday, April 18, 2016

beautiful!

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

The hike is beautiful and mostly easy going until the last bit closer to the springs, which is particularly steep. Abandoned camp grounds surrounding hot springs facilities, which are nifty but boarded up, most of the time. A cool water well accessible to add to private wooden baths area. Also large communal pools/wooden circular tubs. Going near snowy time is invigorating and beautiful but treacherous/icy especially over bridges/steep areas. Also advisable to have a higher clearance of undercarriage for car to handle snowy roads/tracks going in. I know the trail keeps going past the hot springs to a campground but I've never been.

Friday, September 12, 2014

Hot springs are always nice. This place had changed a lot in the pass years. $5 per person but at least no more broken glass in the parking lot.

Monday, June 09, 2014

I did the trail all the way out to twin lakes turnoff. It is very pretty the entire way. The path gets a little sketchy about 6 miles in all the way to silver king lake turnoff. Which by the way if you like salamanders in a mecca of sorts for the aquatic lizard. The path changes to eastern oregon type terrain as soon as you crest the ridge by silver king mountain. The biggest pluses to this hike is that after the hot springs the trail is essentially yours, And of course on the way back a stop at the hot springs makes everything better. If you are overnighting ask the Bagby person where to park and they usually have some safer spots ready by their camp. The Hot springs are way better then they were now that there is someone there cleaning up regularly. Just remember to pay at the trailhead.

Friday, May 02, 2014

Our family visited a few years back and found it a fun adventure. However, we haven't been back as we didn't care for the crowds which were not especially family friendly and we're not respectful stewards of the land... Lots of trash and mis use. Too bad.

Sunday, September 08, 2013

It's very crowded. The hot springs are cool, and the trail is very well-kept, but there are only a fair amount of cool things to see en route to the springs. It seems more touristy walk than hike, but is worth checking-out if you're in the area.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

It's limited as to when you can actually get to the trailhead, if you're not in a truck with four wheel drive. Sometimes, even then, the forest roads are impassible. It took three trips before I eventually made it. It was absolutely worth it, though. The trail is very well maintained and quite easy. The tubs are fantastic. I've heard that as of recently, a new management company has taken over maintenance. I need to get back and see whether there have been any improvements.

Friday, October 12, 2012

My most favorite place In oregon! Bring candles warm clothes and some trash bags to help pick up the leftovers from others. Grapes are a wonderful treat and you feel like a Greek god! I'd also suggest using some eucalyptus oil or tea tree to disinfect the tubs in a eco friendly way.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

The hike was nice and short and the hot springs were divine!