Bagby Hot Springs Trail is a 3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Detroit, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 305 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

hot springs

This hike goes through one of the last stands of Old Growth Forest in Oregon, along windy ridges, through burned out slopes, across talus rubble fields, and past serene blue lakes. Connects Bagby Trail (544) to Twin Lakes Trail (573) to Mother Lode Trail (558) and Pansy Lake (551).

done this one many times good little hike with a reward at the end if you don't mind sharing it with a large diverse group

Very cool experience and there aren’t many places like it! The hot springs are great, but the forest is just as beautiful. The facilities could use a little love though so please be respectful of it for others to enjoy. Also, go early and you shouldn’t have to wait for a tub! We hit the trail by 9am on a weekday and there was only one other group there when we arrived.

icy

Beautiful Place! Definitely cold, the ground was frozen solid but most of the snow was gone. Saw some locals fixing up some pipes and cleaning trash. Thanks Guys!

this trail was amazing! 3 stars for the amount of trash strewn over the parking lot and along the forest. seriously disappointed with what I saw. there was even a double A battery left right on the trail. if anyone has the time and they plan on going along this wonderful trail, please bring a bag because there are plenty of glass bottles and beer cans

This place is awesome! The road was covered in slush but was passable in my Jeep (a lower clearance non-4WD car might have issues getting there). The trail was easy to follow in the snow with only 1 tree down across the trail, but it was not an issue to get over/under. Only the 4 small tubs were open as the other tubs were closed due to unsafe conditions. Luckily one tub was open for us when we got there but another couple that got there after us had to wait a little while. The water is super hot so we had to use some snow to cool it down. It was a gorgeous day in the snow!!

Can not get there... The Tree fell.....

Beautiful short hike way out in the forest. Some of the tubs work and some don’t (and they aren’t labeled). We had to wait for about 30 minutes for one that would work. They are a little slimy but not bad (it’s wood in Oregon...what do you expect?). All around very cool experience. The water is super hot and it is absolutely beautiful. We went Sunday afternoon on 12/8 and there were around 9 people there (and most of them were nude despite the 40 degree temperatures).

Great short hike with mild elevation. One private hot spring available, and one multi person hot spring with 4 tubs. Very relaxing and great hike.

Beautiful hike, well maintained trail to the hot springs. We continued on beyond the hot springs the trail continues for 12 miles (so we were told), we made it about 2.5 additional miles before turning back due to the rain drenching us to the bone. Beautiful hike and I would love to do the whole thing one day! We brought two dogs on leash, a couple near wash outs of the trail caused the dogs to struggle a bit but overall this was a very cool trail. A couple downed trees that had wedges cut into them for foot holds to help you climb over. Early in there is a waterfall you can walk behind. What a treat to end our hike back at the hot springs! (One semi private spot to change into bathing suits.) We hit the springs on a good day due to the rain and it being before 3pm (we hear it is least busy early AM to 3pm) very few people there so we only waited for a tub for a couple mins. It is rough around the edges very rustic but overall a good experience!! Be kind and flexible and patient and you will have a great time! The hot spring in the rain was great but the trek back got a tad chilly.

An AMAZING place!.. first time I did shrooms and I had a blast! The natural hot spring tubs were the cutest and an easy hike

Go early to beat everyone going!

Individual tubs are closed! Beautiful easy hike in and out! There is 1 individual tub available! I loved it very relaxing. But 4 tubs all under 1 roof FYI . Peg leg falls are very close !

Trail was easy, I did it after hiking Tom Dick and Harry in my Chacos. The glitter everywhere is maddening. Anyone who thinks that’s ok is a jerk. The hot springs themselves are...interesting. It’s one of those things you have to do once. Doubt I’ll ever go back...

Trail was pretty, easy, flat, looked like it was well maintained. We parked I. The parking lot even though directions took us on a side road. The hott springs themself - DISGUSTING. Garbage everywhere. Looked dirty. And let’s not forget to mention the RAT DROPPINGS in the tubs and around. We were disgusted and immediately left. Would never go back. People around us said that a long time along this place use to be very nice, but now it’s not maintained or cared for anymore.

Tue Mar 26 2019

I was unable to do this hike because the road conditions were so bad to get there. There was so much snow, you could barley see the road, there were just two track for the left and right tires. Eventually, we saw a car ahead of us stuck in the snow (and it was a subaru, so fully capable). I was driving 2 wheel mazda CX-5 and turned around before getting stuck. I would love to check back when the roads are clear again as the drive was beautiful and I am sure the hike is better

Sun Dec 09 2018

the hike was really lovely! not too strenuous, though there is a hill. I was not so impressed with the spring themselves; two of the eight were out of order and we did a lot of waiting around before deciding to bail on our dip. people who were ahead of us in line had to make trips up and down the site with five gallon buckets to fill their tub. seemed like a lot of work for an experience I was hoping would be relaxing. so we went home dry. maybe better to go on a week day!

Mon Dec 03 2018

It was brisk, so there weren’t as many people on the trail as expected. Trail was clear, only a tiny bit of snow here and there. We didn’t go into the springs, not what we went for truthfully. Not sure we’d go back. Sad to see some trash at the trailhead and up at the springs as well.

Fri Nov 02 2018

The best ever! We went early in the morning and were there by ourself for a few hours. It was blissful. Make sure to leave your glitter at home as the stupid hippies have left enough along the trail and trees.

Wed Oct 24 2018

Great easy hike to take guests. Easy trail to go in chacos or tennis shoes. This October has been more forgiving than most so it was a great day to go early.

Sun Aug 19 2018

My favorite of all

Sun Aug 12 2018

love it! had a great time in the hot tub. we were very lucky that we didnt have to wait.

Mon Jul 30 2018

The worse one. In man built wood tubs that feel slimy, water is only warm for so long before you need to leave dump&refill. Some private rooms with a single log tub. I mean it's not the greatest, crime is popular not only in the parking lot but within the trail&the tubs. Nudist is also a strong possibility to view a lot of.. Austin (keep driving past bagby) it's all natural &has the rock built walls to locate prime spot. More secluded. Better*

Fri Jul 20 2018

coolest hot springs I have ever been to. beautiful and easy hike. very fun and worth the drive!

Thu Jul 19 2018

Pretty cool trail. 2 beautiful waterfalls. There are some homeless people hanging out at the trail head but they were harmless.

Sat Jun 30 2018

Went on a Thursday late morning. Hike was beautiful and easy. The springs had only a few other people there. Tubs were kind of gross and I wish I’d had water shoes, but we still enjoyed it. The ranger at the trailhead told us to keep going a half mile to a waterfall, which we did after the springs and I’m sooo glad we did. Just a smaller fall with a small pool. The water was freezing but we had so much fun hanging out there.

Mon Jun 25 2018

We do this hike every year, always go early in the AM to avoid people. The hike is easy and a beautiful walk. We have taken our kids as young as 3 and they walked the whole way there and back.

Mon Jun 18 2018

March 2nd, don't go if you don't have Chains and a high undercarriage. several cars left stranded. The trail is covered in snow, beautiful, peaceful and just a perfect hike. Trekking poles are useful in the snow. we were the first to the tubs today. water was scolding hot! luckily my hiking gal pal is a mountain woman and shuvled snow and ice into the open air, 8 person tub to cool it off. The birds have clearly been handfed, remember "don't feed the wildlife!" Bagby is old, it is showing it's age. Folks are clearly not 100% of the time packing out. That ruines it for others. Leave no trace! Anyone looking to make a difference and a buck, take bags with you to haul out bottles and cans. bring flip flops to protect your feet!