Babyfoot Lake Trail

Babyfoot Lake Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kerby, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and fishing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Very nice little hike. It took quite a while to drive up to the trail head (about 45 minutes from HWY 199), but the views are stunning and the landscape is interesting. The actual hike is easy and short. The plant life is interesting with a lot of plants and trees that were new to me. And even though it was August, there were still wildflowers blooming and ripe Huckleberries and Thimbleberries. The trees that remain from the Biscuit Fire are a bit eerie, but also beautiful. I personally loved the silver trunks against the black burnt bark. At the lake, it was very quiet and still. And a lot cooler than the valley floor. I don't know that I would go to camp as it seems to be pretty popular and there were other people there the whole time we were. But all in all a beautiful place and worth a visit.

such a beautiful place

Monday, September 19, 2016

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Not much lake left, took forever to get there on the oneway gravel road.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Sunday, May 08, 2016

we drove slow on the dirt road. Took us 50 min from 199 to the parking lot. Directions from a book almost got us off track. if you see a rt cut off #042, keep going, keep letf, then keep left of next crossroads. Parking lot is not that far up hill. Nice walk, a bit more than 1.5 miles. Who is counting. Lake is nice.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

This was my first time up here since the Biscuit Fire in '02. There is a lot of regrowth but it still feels haunted. All of the standing dead trees look like grave stones to me, hinting of the wonder and beauty they once possessed. The trail is fairly easy with one rocky spot in particular that might pose a challenge for some folks. I'm a hammock camper and didn't really feel safe anchoring to any trees around. I can say that the lake has some good fishing.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

It was a cool crisp beautiful morning to hike with The Jefferson State of Mind hiking group. The hike is downhill to the lake with a few downed trees to climb over. One was quite slippery as it had no bark from the biscuit fire and I fell off as I started sliding down. Wouldn't you know it, I fell off it again going back up. It was wonderful to see all the regrowth 13 years after the fire. We enjoyed a snack at the lake and then made our way back to the top. We then drove about a mile away and hiked up to Whetstone Butte/

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Hiked around the Kalmiopsis Wilderness with Charlie Simpson, a good friend from high school and college, in search of the Kalmiopsis leachiana, a rare species of heather. We explored around the Chetco River area from our campsite at Babyfoot Lake.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Sunday, February 23, 2014

A beautiful little lake tucked back in the center of the burned forest from the Biscuit fire in 2002. Most of the hike is through these still standing dead trees that tower over you like huge needles in a pin cushion. The trail is downhill to the lake and not a strenuous uphill hike back out. We did not take the additional rim trail to overlook the lake from the ridge above as we were concerned that recent snowfall might make the trail dangerous. Some of us were hiking in the wrong shoes for snow. There are a few campsites at the lake. Small ice needles dotted the trail as the outside temperature has been below freezing at night when the ground temperature has remained above freezing. A few slippery spots in the shade where the trail looks like dirt but these ice needles are just below that.

Friday, February 07, 2014

Thursday, June 07, 2012

We stayed overnight at the shore of Babyfoot lake and it was so peaceful and relaxing. During the day there were many day hikers, but there wasn't another person around in the evening. Tent spots are very little as there are few flat areas near the lake. We set up camp and then hiked to the overlook above which was a short, moderate hike with minimal snow May 2012. As the previous reviewer mentioned the drive to the TH is also gorgeous with many photo opportunities.

Friday, March 23, 2012

This is a fairly easy hike to a wonderful little lake in the Siskiyou Mountains. The 17 mile drive up Eight Dollar Road is very scenic with views of the Illinois River and the surrounding mountain ranges. The road levels off and rd 140 to the left takes you to a wll marked trailhead. Since the Biscuit fire several areas have been burned over but there's still nice wooded areas on the way to Babyfoot Lake. The lake is fairly good sized with some well established campsites. In June 2011 I did a loop that follows a route beyond the lake to an old mining road and then to a path that climbs up to a great view point and then follows an path high above the lake and then the trail finally drops and joins the main trail between the TH and Babyfoot Lake. This route does entail some bushwhacking skills after leaving the lake until getting onto the mining road. Read William Sullinvan's 100 hikes in Southern Oregon for details on this route. I did this route in June 2011 but unfortunately much of the route at the higher elevations, as I approached the high point above the lake, was completely covered with snow and I had to create my on route through some rather deep snow drifts down to the main trail. But it was a fun adventure. I would rate it easy to lake and moderately difficult on loop.