Babyfoot Lake Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kerby, Oregon that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and fishing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 564 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Couldn’t make it the last mile trail was covered in snow and too dangerous. The only way to get back was go back the way we came. 4.9 miles turned into 11.2

Pretty cool hike. Great scenery and the lake is clear and beautiful. The trail is pretty good although it reminded me how out of shape I am but a great spot nonetheless. The drive however, is not great! Really great views all the way up but 10 or 11 miles of uphill gravel with (in several places) gnarly washboarding. The views are great though. I'd probably do it again.

this was a great 1.25 mile hike with a gorgeous tiny lake! it was very warm too! long drive up the gravel road and be carefull because of people coming down the road too. watch your GPS as there are turn offs while driving. no mosquitos, ticks, or bugs either. slept under a tarp and had no problems!

Awesome hike! Take the long route up over the mountains, it's a good 4 hours with a lot of going up, up, up. Lots of little oasis with Tiger Lilies, raspberrys everywhere, and interesting views of a forest regrowing. I have to give this a moderate rating with the long route, some scrambling, lots of scree, and narrow going. Well worth it, I would love to do it again earlier in the year but the weather was awesome even though the valley was in the mid 90's. Awesome!

What a great hike. I took my grandsons aged 11 and 8. Definately doing it again.

lovely hike. had the lake all to myself.

Mon Jun 03 2019

This was an awesome hike. I did it with my two kids 4 and 10 and they had a great time

Sat Nov 03 2018

Very intimate, only ones on the lake. Beautiful blue skies ❤️

Mon Jul 09 2018

Lovely hike through the 2002 Biscuit Fire burn area. Surreal white tree trunks. Some unusual wildflowers but not the Kalmiopsis, drat.

Sun Jun 03 2018

Good trail, but not for everyone since you have to climb over and go under some logs. Perfect weekend for wild flowers.

Sun May 06 2018

Snow covered some of the trail but it was a beautiful hike. We were the only two the whole time so it was nice to have the solitude. Some trees are across the path also but easy to climb over or under. It was a great hike.

Sat Nov 25 2017

Such an interesting landscape. Short hike, but lots to look at and listen to. Took a few tries to find it, now can't stay away.

Tue Aug 15 2017

Very nice little hike. It took quite a while to drive up to the trail head (about 45 minutes from HWY 199), but the views are stunning and the landscape is interesting. The actual hike is easy and short. The plant life is interesting with a lot of plants and trees that were new to me. And even though it was August, there were still wildflowers blooming and ripe Huckleberries and Thimbleberries. The trees that remain from the Biscuit Fire are a bit eerie, but also beautiful. I personally loved the silver trunks against the black burnt bark. At the lake, it was very quiet and still. And a lot cooler than the valley floor. I don't know that I would go to camp as it seems to be pretty popular and there were other people there the whole time we were. But all in all a beautiful place and worth a visit.

Wed Dec 21 2016

such a beautiful place

Sat Sep 03 2016

Not much lake left, took forever to get there on the oneway gravel road.

Sun May 08 2016

we drove slow on the dirt road. Took us 50 min from 199 to the parking lot. Directions from a book almost got us off track. if you see a rt cut off #042, keep going, keep letf, then keep left of next crossroads. Parking lot is not that far up hill. Nice walk, a bit more than 1.5 miles. Who is counting. Lake is nice.

Wed May 27 2015

This was my first time up here since the Biscuit Fire in '02. There is a lot of regrowth but it still feels haunted. All of the standing dead trees look like grave stones to me, hinting of the wonder and beauty they once possessed. The trail is fairly easy with one rocky spot in particular that might pose a challenge for some folks. I'm a hammock camper and didn't really feel safe anchoring to any trees around. I can say that the lake has some good fishing.

Sat Apr 18 2015

It was a cool crisp beautiful morning to hike with The Jefferson State of Mind hiking group. The hike is downhill to the lake with a few downed trees to climb over. One was quite slippery as it had no bark from the biscuit fire and I fell off as I started sliding down. Wouldn't you know it, I fell off it again going back up. It was wonderful to see all the regrowth 13 years after the fire. We enjoyed a snack at the lake and then made our way back to the top. We then drove about a mile away and hiked up to Whetstone Butte/

Sun Mar 30 2014

Hiked around the Kalmiopsis Wilderness with Charlie Simpson, a good friend from high school and college, in search of the Kalmiopsis leachiana, a rare species of heather. We explored around the Chetco River area from our campsite at Babyfoot Lake.

Sun Feb 23 2014

A beautiful little lake tucked back in the center of the burned forest from the Biscuit fire in 2002. Most of the hike is through these still standing dead trees that tower over you like huge needles in a pin cushion. The trail is downhill to the lake and not a strenuous uphill hike back out. We did not take the additional rim trail to overlook the lake from the ridge above as we were concerned that recent snowfall might make the trail dangerous. Some of us were hiking in the wrong shoes for snow. There are a few campsites at the lake. Small ice needles dotted the trail as the outside temperature has been below freezing at night when the ground temperature has remained above freezing. A few slippery spots in the shade where the trail looks like dirt but these ice needles are just below that.

Thu Jun 07 2012

We stayed overnight at the shore of Babyfoot lake and it was so peaceful and relaxing. During the day there were many day hikers, but there wasn't another person around in the evening. Tent spots are very little as there are few flat areas near the lake. We set up camp and then hiked to the overlook above which was a short, moderate hike with minimal snow May 2012. As the previous reviewer mentioned the drive to the TH is also gorgeous with many photo opportunities.

Fri Mar 23 2012

This is a fairly easy hike to a wonderful little lake in the Siskiyou Mountains. The 17 mile drive up Eight Dollar Road is very scenic with views of the Illinois River and the surrounding mountain ranges. The road levels off and rd 140 to the left takes you to a wll marked trailhead. Since the Biscuit fire several areas have been burned over but there's still nice wooded areas on the way to Babyfoot Lake. The lake is fairly good sized with some well established campsites. In June 2011 I did a loop that follows a route beyond the lake to an old mining road and then to a path that climbs up to a great view point and then follows an path high above the lake and then the trail finally drops and joins the main trail between the TH and Babyfoot Lake. This route does entail some bushwhacking skills after leaving the lake until getting onto the mining road. Read William Sullinvan's 100 hikes in Southern Oregon for details on this route. I did this route in June 2011 but unfortunately much of the route at the higher elevations, as I approached the high point above the lake, was completely covered with snow and I had to create my on route through some rather deep snow drifts down to the main trail. But it was a fun adventure. I would rate it easy to lake and moderately difficult on loop.