Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge: Rail Trail Loop

Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge: Rail Trail Loop is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jefferson, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Take two boardwalk trails in this guide for some amazing bird watching in this beautiful wildlife refuge south of Salem This wildlife refuge just south of Salem is home to a wide variety of bird species. In this guide you will find two very nice boardwalk trails through wetlands that lead to covered bird blinds for wildlife viewing. Make sure you bring a camera with a good zoom lens and some binoculars.

Not a well maintained trail. Didn't like walking through the grass as tall as me.

Brought our 2 1/2 year old. He had fun and it was easy enough for him to walk all the way around. Fun walk with lots to see and hear.

Really beautiful and peaceful. I took my 7 year old but I think I'd like to come back alone and just soak in the scenery and birdsong.

Correction: no trail running. Hiking is a stretch, it's actually a walking environment. I took a picture of a sign at the beginning of the trail (located in the image section) that literally says, no running. It's understandable because it's a conservatory established by the Audubon society and many bird watchers come here. It might be nice to provide a more accurate description, seeing as I came here specifically to run. A bit disappointing. Fun for a possibly leisurely stroll with grandma, or finicky children.

Easy hike with little ones. Park of the trail was closed for season in mid march. Was about 1.50miles on the bridge with littles.

The boardwalk trail is phenomenal and gorgeous! Parts will flood at high waters, please use common sense during these times.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Great spot!

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Loved the bridge hiking. Needs some work on some of it but different kind of hike.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Super fun

Sunday, January 31, 2016

We went with the kids today, we have one child that has foot / ankle issues so it was wonderful to be able to include her on a "hike"

We saw lots of birds, and were in awe of the swamps. We will definitely do this one again.