Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge: Rail Trail Loop

Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge: Rail Trail Loop is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Jefferson, Oregon that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and birding and is best used from April until October.

Take two boardwalk trails in this guide for some amazing bird watching in this beautiful wildlife refuge south of Salem This wildlife refuge just south of Salem is home to a wide variety of bird species. In this guide you will find two very nice boardwalk trails through wetlands that lead to covered bird blinds for wildlife viewing. Make sure you bring a camera with a good zoom lens and some binoculars.

Easy hike with little ones. Park of the trail was closed for season in mid march. Was about 1.50miles on the bridge with littles.

Ankeny Wildlife Refuge
Rail Trail

I went here yesterday and walked to the end of the rails but not to the end of the trail and then turned around, and headed back, which on the way back, I did hear a chorus of frogs communicating with each other from different parts of the rail trail. I was really hoping to see a little bit of wildlife, but I didn't; but I did see a little bit of evidence of Beavers in the area; by seeing a few downed trees but not much else.

The boardwalk trail is phenomenal and gorgeous! Parts will flood at high waters, please use common sense during these times.

Great walk for kids!

Great spot!

Loved the bridge hiking. Needs some work on some of it but different kind of hike.

Super fun

We went with the kids today, we have one child that has foot / ankle issues so it was wonderful to be able to include her on a "hike"

We saw lots of birds, and were in awe of the swamps. We will definitely do this one again.

Nice to see water at Ankeny NWR. Last year was very dry. More people than birds. Frozen marsh was beautiful. Wish people knew to be quiet in birding areas...

Definitely for strolling. It's lovely. There is a raised wooden footpath through a marsh. Lots of birds: ducks, geese mostly but did see a bald eagle and listened to a lovely little bird singing. I have gone in the winter and early spring and I plan to return in the fall to enjoy the changing colors of the leaves.

Quaint little boardwalk, but not a lot to offer for someone who isn't very interested in birds.

It was a pleasant walk but nothing more, but there weren't many birds around, maybe because of the time of year? I'm not sure, but someone who knows birds would know for sure.

No plans on coming back. :)

A very simple walk, not a hike. Was good for a nice picnic lunch and a leisurely stroll.

I have to say it is a walk not really a hike but it is perfect for kids and families to have a nice walk and see some wonderful sites. My middle child is blind and really enjoyed the fact that she could use her cane and be completely independent and confident in herself to lead the way. She really enjoys listening to all the animals and nature sounds that you can hear out there. There are very few hikes that she can do and this is one of my favorites to take her on.