Angels Rest to Devil's Rest Loop Trail

Angels Rest to Devil's Rest Loop Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Corbett, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.0 miles Elevation Gain: 3,077 feet Route Type: Loop

Starting in a fern-filled forest, the trail climbs uphill for 0.6 mile before reaching the top of Coopey Falls, a 150 to 175 foot horsetail waterfall, and the footbridge crossing the creek. Continuing on, the trail begins to switchback uphill for 1.6 miles before reaching the ridge crest. Turn left at a junction to a spectacular gorge viewpoint. Use extreme caution at the steep cliff edge. Some nice flower features of this hike are the wildflower displays (which peaks in May) of blue-eyed grass, star-flowered Smiliacina, and trillium at lower levels. Also you get a grand view of the Gorge once you reach the top. There is even a bench to rest yourself on that overlooks the entire area.

Shade most of the way!!! Really pleasant with a nice breeze. We got to the top in 45 minutes - going pretty fast.

Excellent hike! Even in the rain! Wonderful little wildflowers, varied terrain, spectacular vista views, not busy today!

I love this hike. It was long, took me 4 hours for the whole thing which my phone tracker said 11.02 miles (someone else further down mentioned their personal tracker also clocked in at 11 miles). I don't know how people do this is 3 or less hours. I literally ran the downhill parts and basically ran up Angel's Rest. The southern part of the trail past Angel's Rest is kind of overgrown but it was super easy to stay on course. DEVIL'S REST HAS NO VIEW! I mean, I always knew that, but people in the reviews were surprised by this. Angel's rest has plenty of epic views though and the northern track also has spots that show off the gorge. Enjoy!

Pretty crowded up until Angel's Rest but we started late around 10am on a Saturday. We kept going and veered left at the fork. I really enjoyed this section, it was full of wildflowers and then the trail hit a river before we started climbing up to Devil's rest. Not much at the top, after that we continued down an unmaintained trail which was overgrown to hit the main trail back down.

Although the trail head sign says Angels Rest 2.3 miles, we found it to be closer to seven round-trip. However, it seems somewhat common for the trail distances to be out of sync with our Fitbits, so we expected it. This trail offers great views of various wild flowers, not to mention the Columbia River Gorge area. It’s quite shady for the first part, then has very little shade as you climb higher, largely due to the burned off tree tops from the Eagle Creek fire. It was sad to see the devastation from the fire, but it was also good to see how the forest is re-building and coming alive again. This trail has a variety of terrain, from packed down dirt to some fairly rocky areas. Just makes it more interesting, though. When we got to the top, we probably would not have realized that there was still more to the trail. We were fortunate that someone told us to keep walking out toward the point of the rock and circle to the left on a narrow rocky path to a bench that has been placed there in memory of someone’s loved one. The view from the top of this trail is spectacular, as you can see in both directions along the gorge for miles.

Vegetation growing over the trail but still a well marked path. I enjoy running this as once you get to elevation it’s a very steady pace. Very crowded after 9AM. The loop is quiet.

Because I am an easy/moderate hiker, this was probably one of the hardest I've done. In my own opinion, I think it's better to go when cloudy, and not too hot. I usually take 2-3 stops, this took me more than multiple!! What I had read was that it'd take about 2/3 hours to finish, but glad I had it done before 3 hours. But then again, I've gone hiking about 3 times a year, and this is my fourth one of the year. Reaching the top is definitely worth it, I had never felt so alive.

Stunning views at the top! One of my favorite trails to hike.

Lightly travelled with Multnomah Falls/Larch Mtn Tr closed.

Crowded after 9am even on a weekday. Well maintained trail. View from angel’s rest was “gorge”ous! Devil’s loop was fun. Lots of trillium and dandelions in bloom right now. You can see the devastation from the Eagle Creek fire a couple years ago but the forest is recovering quickly. Switchbacks and ups and downs the whole way.

Did I miss something? The end of the trail was only denoted by a sign that says “end of devils rest trail” but there was no view once you got to the top.... The trail was good otherwise with some solid views here and there and some nice water but a seriously disappointing peak

Definitely a moderate trail and pretty busy up until you pass Angel’s Rest. The second part of the loop is relatively flat and great for trail running! Lots of sweet waterfalls, as well. We passed some volunteers clearing the path on the way down - can’t appreciate those people enough. Definitely be sure to check the map often and look for signs, as there are many ways to go - it’s easy to stray from your trail and end up in the wrong parking lot.

Would rate it moderate. Got up early for sunrise, enjoyed an empty trail and really took in some of the devastation from the Eagle Creek Fire. Finished the loop Angels was starting to get filled up with people around 9 am and the lots were all full.

Mid-50s cloudy April day, started from Angel’s Rest trailhead at 945 and finished up at 1:30. Looped gorge-side up through Devil’s Rest. Not overly difficult for a moderately experienced hiker, no obvious danger, but can see how it’d be very tough in the snow. Difficulty only really picks up in the 1.5mi before Devil’s, but is otherwise totally fine. Trail from Devil’s Rest back down to Angel’s is moderately well maintained single-track with spots of double. With a pole and waterproof boots, I had no difficulty. Fitbit tracked to 11.1mi but your guess is frankly as good as mine.

Great shape now. Pretty dry.

Moderate hike with stunning views.

Too crowded for me, loads of people and dogs. Nearly all are hiking only to Angels Rest though. If you hike on and do the Devils Rest loop you will be rewarded with beautiful silence (my second favorite hiking partner) Hiked 3/31/19 - a gorgeous sunny day. The lower trail is in great shape. On this day there was still snow up at Devils Rest but it was fine to hike in.

Got there at 7:30 am, one parking spot left in the lower lot. Busy up to Angels rest, but didn’t see anyone on the loop up to Devils rest. Brought microspikes but didn’t use them, snow was patchy enough at the top it wasn’t worth putting them on.

Loved this hike! Lots of dogs and a narrow ish trail so just be mindful when passing others or vise versa... but it was intense!!! LOVED IT!

My car got broken into 3 weeks ago here! Please be careful and don’t leave anything valuable in the car.

please be careful parking at the Angel's Rest trailhead. Our car got broken into and they stole a jacket from the trunk. we didn't have any valuable visible in the car. take everything with you!

After this recent snowfall, I do not recommend doing this trail unless you are confident in your map reading skills. This loop is best left for experts. There was waist deep snow, the trail was not marked, and you have to rely on the path others have taken. This is not reliable as at many points the previous marks end abruptly where the hiker turned back. There is also an extremely steep portion where you must slide downhill. This is risky as it ends nears the cliff. All in all, even as an advanced hiker who felt confident in my ability to find my way, I would not do this again. The trail was not maintained before the significant snowfall and is extremely difficult now with so much snow. It was beautiful and I loved every difficult minute of it, but there were a few times I wondered if I should turn around. This trail is a good example of how easy it is to get turned around and lost up there. Pick a different trail until it thaws or has been better marked. A good option might be taking the left side of the split until you can’t go any further (you’ll know, it’s straight uphill) and then going back. This allows you a view of the gorge the whole time on the clearest trail. Not sure how many miles this would be. Maybe 7?