Amanda's Trail

moderate 56 reviews

Amanda's Trail is a 5.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yachats, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,450 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

Highly populated trail. If you’re looking for seclusion this ain’t your trail.

I started this Trail from Yachats (Across from Windy Way St.) For some reason the Internet says it starts at ‘Forest Hill Street #5533’ (Actually drove down there but couldn’t find it). All Trails starts it as part of the Oregon Coast Trail. But you can start it in different places. Started here to get the up hill done first. The beginnings had a grueling, long uphill section (feel the burn). Trail itself was nice. Lots of exposed roots and elevation changes. Some slick spots. Just watch your footing. I added ‘St. Perpetua’ and ‘Giant Spruce’ Trails on to this to make the run a little longer. Great views and some history. My GPS recorded 9.6 altogether. * No fee (depending on where you start) * GPS works. * Vault toilets at Cape Perpetua parking and through the campground to the Giant Spruce.

Trail in great shape for late October as the weather has been good. All the other reviews are pretty accurate so I will just point out this is a woods hike and not a scenic view hike. The trails main star this time of year were all the mushrooms. We must have seen over 20 types. Very cool! The mossy and ferny sections are pretty too. I agree with people suggesting to do this trail in reverse and start from Highway 101 area. Then you can do the uphill first and come back downhill. Our dog did get stung by yellow jackets down by the bottom of the trail which other recent reviews have stated. That was the bummer. Otherwise a lovely and semi-challenging hike. Very enjoyable!

Let me preface this with saying that I did not complete the entire hike because at mile 2.5ish there was a sign posted that said “please keep your dogs on leash past this point. Female bear and cubs have a den and are roaming nearby” and I was like NOPE and turned around. I am young female and I do most of my hiking solo + I didn’t even think about bringing bear spray to this hike because I for *some reason* thought there weren’t very many bears along the Oregon cost. Well, turns out I’m VERY wrong and they are very common in the Florence/Yachats area. That being said, I hiked round-trip about 5 miles. This hike is beautiful and it’s like a little enchanted forest as you go further into it...just so much green! Tree roots growing every which way, lush foliage, lots of unique mushrooms, slugs, and moss over everything. This is NOT the hike for you if you’re wanting ocean views the entire way through. There are incredible views at the trailhead but other than that, there is just one picturesque view at mile 1ish. However, keep in mind that there may be tons of views past the distance I went. Remember that I am talking 2.5 down and 2.5 back up. Difficulty...I am 25yrs old and very active (plus I go hiking nearly every weekend) but this kicked my ass when ascending back. If you have knee or hip issues of any sort, I would not recommend this hike. The downhill is steep and the uphill is steep (but we all know that going downhill is what causes the kind of soreness that makes you cry the next day). If you are a regular hiker, this won’t be a problem for you. I think that most able-bodied people could make it but the ascend would need to be a very slow process. I went up super fast as to get the hell away from said bear den (bears are one thing....mother bears with cubs is another). I wouldn’t recommend this for kids, as there are narrow parts of the trail and I could just see lots of tripping hazards. Wear hiking boots/shoes. Trekking poles and other advanced gear is not needed (but do bring that bear spray for peace of mind...)

Tough up hill but not horrible. I recommend starting at the opposite (bottom) and going up first. When you reach the end of trail go right at the crossroads to see the hut and view.

Awesome trail. Especially if you take the time to hike into Yachats and stop for food and a beer at Yachats Brewery before heading back. Has a few views of the ocean along the trail. Bees no longer near the bridge from post below, however there are signs posted from near the south end of the bridge to the northern part of the trail warning of a mother bear with cubs having a den close by. No sight of them on this hike though.

BEES! 8/19/2019 Just south of the statue, over the bridge there was a yellow jacket nest. My dog and I got stung. Move quickly through this area

beautiful!! the wildflowers are out. views are amazing! we started on ocean trail off of ocean rd and our GPS on ionic clocked 10.2 miles roundtrip. May 2019.

This was such a great hike! So fun!!

Very nice hike. The tall trees maintained a cool atmosphere.

Very pretty trail with a great view at the top. Decent gain, some ups and downs, slabbing along the mountain.

Thu Feb 14 2019

Beautiful hike with interesting history

Mon Jan 28 2019

Trail along 101 is nicer than expected, ocean views. From the statue, gains 1,000ft in 1.5 miles. Nice forest, quiet, clear trail. Turned around before making the summit due to trees swaying in high winds a bit too much for our comfort. Will do it again.

Wed Jan 02 2019

It is a lovely trail. We took it into all the way into Yachats which is a good hike. According to my Garmin step counter, including the detour of the Yachats Ocean View Road, we did almost 7 miles - so know if you plan on hiking into Yachats for a meal afterwards, it's "a lot longer" than the 4.5 miles it seems to say. You walk along either 101 S. or the side trails along the road into town. We thoroughly enjoyed it for a New Year Day's hike.

Wed Dec 19 2018

Keep going, the beginning is not the prettiest part of the forest and telephone lines pass low overhead but once you get a ways in it is gorgeous deep forest and you pass a lovely stream. Some ups and downs which may be difficult for beginners.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Absolutely loved this trail. Highly recommended for those who want to keep in the shade.

Sat Aug 11 2018

Startled a white-assed elk, who was sleeping in a bush by the trail. S/he jumped, ran away 150 ft and watched us from that distance. It was near a wet area with yellow western skunk cabbage, elk's gourmet food.

Thu Jun 28 2018

Started at the public parking area near the post office in Yachats and followed the Pacific Coast Trail to the statue and back. Round trip was about 5 miles. First part of trail follows the coast line and then it follows 101, venturing across private property, so be careful to stay on the marked trail. The trail was easy to follow despite being a little overgrown in a few places and allowed for beautiful views of the ocean through the trees. Watch your step for snails and slugs and watch the trail for spider webs. Amanda's grotto was partially blocked by a fallen tree but still easy to access. (Note that the statue is now on the Yachats side of the footbridge.)

Sun Apr 08 2018

this is a fun, really pretty trail. Several switch backs, not a whole lot of people the two times I've been out there. warblers in the summer!

Sun Apr 08 2018

Loved this trail. Started at the statue (got dropped off) and ended up at Cape Perpetua Campground, where we were camping. Lots of hills and passed through the Cape Perpetua lookout area before getting back to the campground. Loved this! My hiking partner said she once seen a herd of elk on this trail. Hiked this in September, mild somewhat wet day.

Fri Mar 16 2018

One of my favorites ever!!!

Fri Feb 09 2018

Wonderful hike

Tue Dec 26 2017

quick trail from the top to the bottom. little bit of up and down at the start but overall gradual descent. Statue was cool! dropped me out by the welcome to yachats sign near the ocean cove bnb.

Fri Sep 29 2017

We started at the top then worked down to the Amanda statue and back up, parking on the Cape Perpetua road. I would say the way back from the statue is more Hard than Moderate. according to fit bit it was 50 flights in One mile. after that, mostly moderate. Very light traffic and a nice secluded area though.

Mon May 22 2017

My daughter & I did half of this. From Yachats to the Amanda statue in May 2017. So may wildflowers! And it was a well maintained trail with many vistas.

Sat Apr 15 2017

Nice trail that gets you away from so of the crowds

Sat Aug 20 2016

A solid coastal trail hike with views of the coastline in a few places. Nice trail through the woods.