Abiqua Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

This is a beautiful area. But there is an easy way and a crazy way. This location is on private property so there are no trail markings letting you know which way to travel. My friend and I went down a trail which matched some of the descriptions we read below, but little did we know there are a few trails down which match the descriptions below. The trail we took was a death defying Triple Diamond decent for experts only. Here are some tips on how to avoid the nasty trail. 1. At the very end of the road you'll notice a trail to your East located about 2 car lengths back from the gate (dead end). There will be a big black and white sign explaining that this is private land and to play it safe. 2. Shortly after that big sign the trail will seem to split. One path has a fallen tree crossing the trail. The other path, to your right, looks well traveled. 3. STAY TO YOUR LEFT. WALK OVER THE FALLEN TREE. Shortly after you cross over the log you will see an identical black and white sign. You'll also see a long knotted rope anchored to the base of a small tree. This is the trail you want to be on. Further down the correct trail you'll get to a point where two large trees have fallen down parallel to one another, leading straight down to the rivers edge. There is a rope which leads down the entire length of these logs. This is the easiest way down to the valley floor. Back at the Y, if you chose the trail to your right you will see the following clues that your on the wrong path. 1. There will be a nice clearing covered with short grass. This spot has a great view of the valley. The path leading to this point seems very well used. TURN AROUND YOUR ON THE WRONG PATH. 2. Shortly after the grass clearing the trail will narrow down to a single path of loose sharp stones and dust. The topography will become very steep. The path will make several very quick switch backs. TURN AROUND YOUR ON THE WRONG PATH. 3. You will see a rope tied to a dead tree trunk. The rope is tied about 4 feet above the ground. A notch has been hacked into the tree trunk for the rope to nest in. TURN AROUND YOUR ON THE WRONG PATH. 4. The rope, tied to this dead tree, has no outer sheath, and looks very old. It also happens to be just long enough to lead you to think you can make it to the next rope tied to a root, but you cant. and by that time you'll find it hard to retreat. TURN AROUND YOUR ON THE WRONG PATH. At this point you should turn around and head back. Dont bee foolish like me and my friend. When we reached the second rope tied to the root we discovered it was nothing more than a 3 feet long nub. We were too far down to climb out. The entire area is made of loose jagged rocks anchored by nothing but dust. It is sketchy as F. Some boulders broke free while I was making my way down, sending an avalanche of rocks, dust and broken tree trunks clear down the gulch to the rivers edge. Thank God no one was below us. The trails leading down the falls are not marked at all. To me, a fallen tree crossing a trail means dont go this way. So I naturally chose the trail which looked obviously open. I had understood the trail down to the river had a rope, so when I saw the rope tied to the dead treed I assumed this was the trail. Someone needs to add some signs, or drag some logs across the bad trail and cut an opening in log crossing the good trail. Parking: Parking is located in small nooks along the single lane dirt road. The further down you go the sketchier it gets. There is a big wash out and some huge craters about 3/4 of the way down the road. The road heads down hill. So when you are leaving you'll be climbing out of the valley, and that washout with the craters is located at a hairpin turn, so you cant get much of a run at it. To be fair, there were several nice sedans parked below washout point. But I was glad that we parked above this point.

The view is the best part once you get to the falls

Went this last Sunday, it was raining and I came out muddy and wet but all worth it! I drive 2 wheel Hondai Tucson and took the road down as far as I felt comfortable then walked. Felt good about my stopping point. The last mile of the road is larger rocks and comfortable in a higher clearance Subaru but I didn’t want to chance it. The Hike is great once you get to the trail head. Stayed Left, very steep but ropes right where you needed them. Loved walking along the river, glad I had boots, lots of rocks to get they but the Waterfall is mind blowing!

Road to the trail is kinda hectic. alot of pot holes and big sharp rocks. asides from that I made it down to the gate in my honda crv. If u make it all the way to the end of the road the hike goes from 5.3 down to like 1 1/2 miles from the gate. stay to the left when u hike down the trail. STAY TO THE LEFT! if u don't want to climb down a cliff.

Difficult road to travers to the actual trail head unless you have an all wheel drive vehicle. We walked the road to the TH and the trail itself is not long but steep and appearing not formerly maintained. The hike is sleek with rock and covered in fallen leaves making it difficult to traverse in many areas. The pay off is well worth the jaunt with a beautiful falls. The drive to this falls is also splendid.

Absolutely gorgeous! made it to the white locked fence easily thanks to the directions of *always staying to the left and down hill * directions once turn off of Crooked Finger Rd. Took second trail as stated below with Abbey Foundation sign and it was a quick hike in staying left once we hit the river.
Definitely going back once every season this next year !

Completed 10-8-18
Went in the dark, still a fun hike

Beautiful

My brother & I drove ALL the way here for nothing...
We can hike like beasts and navigate well but once we got about 1/2 way done with the hike, your just left stranded and guessing.
there's a HUGE lack of signs and you just get lead to an open area of complete confusion.
We tried to find the right trail using the description but had no luck at all.
We tried to find the right way for an hour or two and just said screw all of this and packed it home.
If you want to waste your time... Come Up To This Trail!

Beautiful. Rog’s directions below are essential reading before you go.

Just beautiful. Well worth the hike.

Great hike!!!! past reviews helped big time to find the falls. once you get to the dead end it’s only .5 miles to falls but it’s a climb down and a climb back up ,totally worth though . lots of people while we were there . parking is very tight

This trail is very, very dangerous. If you are on the trail in Rog’s pictures (below), you might consider turning around and finding the easier trail a bit further down. We got pretty banged up and were told by a girl that her mom was life-flighted out due to sliding all the way down.

Under current driving conditions (9/22/18) I would say you absolutely must have a high clearance vehicle or you’re going to get stuck.

There are also people shooting guns and drinking most of the way down. Just a heads up.

The waterfall is magical and totally worth visiting.

One of my favorite hikes that I went to. Absolutely beautiful! The unpaved road definitely makes it hard to walk so hiking shoes are recommended (I used running shoes and almost slipped few times). However, the scenery is breathtaking!!!! I got to observe the nature in the most vivid ways— got to see the wildlife (bees, spiders, garden snakes, etc...).

Abiqua is a hard hike but it totally worths the time and energy !!! My friends and I felt accomplished !

FREAKING GORGEOUS!! Getting there can be tricky so definitely read the previous comments made by others. I got there and had such an amazing time thanks to the tips and comments I read on here. The unpaved road constituted half of the hike literally but once you’re at the trailhead, the hike itself is less than 2 mi. Steep hills but the ropes and fallen trees along the way made it a tad easier. The waterfall made it up for all of the hard work. A MUST SEEN! This is by far the hardest but it is also my favorite hike! Super peaceful and calm :) I’m definitely coming back

Finding the trail head was a challenge. Spent about half an hour just trying to figure out where to start. Recommend having screen shots of directions as no cell service. My Subaru couldn’t make it all the way down so I hiked about 3 extra miles, GPS put me at about 5 round trip. It felt like a ton of work for the payoff but I’m giving 4 stars due to the lack of people (I went on a weekday).
Also, I wouldn’t recommend doing this with a dog unless they are very agile. I had to carry my 60lb pit bull up a steep hill because she was struggling.

I passed the entrance and got lost for about an hour, until a really good person showed me the right road. It is true that the further you go, the sketchier it gets. I don’t think the road is meant for sedan cars, so I will recommend to drive the road as far as you can and the condition of the road allows you. When you start to see the road full of very sharp rocks, park the car in one of the several spots along the road. Then walk from that point. You will find at the end a closed white gate, then turn back and find to your left one of the trailhead with a withe and black sign (see picture). Once you’re there, as you already read from other comments, in the Y section, take the left and you’ll get to the bottom with no complications. You will use the ropes to climb down, but it is really easy. Enjoy :).

“The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves.” ~Alan Watts

I left a wonderful gift for you to find here. You'll know it was from me when you wake up tomorrow feeling magnificent almost as if something has awoken inside of you. Be prepared for the ride of your life! You're going to experience several days the most incredible love in your heart. You'll recognize the one you truly love in everyone you see. You'll be so intoxicated by the thought of that special someone that sleep and reality will blur together.

No matter what happens in your life enjoy the moment that is now! Today is tomorrows yesterday and you can never do it again. It is the reason why I'm forced to leave this kind gift for you to discover. I can no longer look back, it's time to move on, I can only hope for forgiveness because all paths lead you to where your heart wants you to be. J

Trail is very steep in certain areas. Make sure to read previous reviews on how to get there and it is definitely worth it. We followed ROG's review and saved a ton of time.

absolutely beautiful. the trail is rough and can be hard to find at times. I attempted three time before I finally found it. but it was so worth it

READ ROG’s review as well as other’s below before doing this trail!! Looks like Rog and I went the same day.

I’m going to keep it short bc others have already written detailed instructions. Scary drive across unpaved gravel and craters at hairpin turn, but I made it to the white gate. The descent is steep. Wear shoes with traction. I stupidly wore my sneakers instead of my hiking shoes and fell down the descent. Luckily didn’t hurt myself. IMHO waterfall was pretty but there are much prettier ones in the area. Oneonta Gorge is a favorite but closed now due to the eagle creek fire.

I agree with Rog's review below. My husband and I were there yesterday also and we took the wrong path down too. We had a couple behind us that almost got hit with rocks coming loose. PLEASE READ ROG'S REVIEW AND LOOK AT HIS PIC'S!! Everyone says this is a steep climb up and down. They mean it! No joke! I think it was like a 5 to 10 degree vertical climb. Also want to add that once you get to river you need to stay left also on river bank. Do not cross! You will run out of river rock on the right forcing you to cross back to the left side. Please wear proper shoes. Lastly please be respectful of others. Everyone is there to take amazing pics and take in all the beauty!

Take the correct trail!

Here are some tips on how to avoid the nasty trail.

Now as far as the falls are concerned. It is a beautiful area, it is secluded and the geology is amazing to behold. I feel that it is a great place to visit. But in my opinion, the Silver Falls area is equally as nice, if not more scenic.

amazing! absolutely worth it!

we drove as far in as we could. the first turn off the "main" gravel road was not marked by a sign but rather an empty sign frame. we kept feeling like we were going wrong but it was right. the road is ROUGH but in dry weather, our Acadia made it fine. once you've driven as far as you can, there is a closed gate. there is parking for about 3-4 cars down that far then parking along the road. you'll not want to go through the gate but rather head back up the road about 100 feet and you'll see the trail which is marked with a sign up on a tree. the trail forks, stay left then head down. the trail has steep areas but you can go up and down with the assistance of ropes someone has left. once you've hit the stream, still head left and once you see the waterfall, the trip become worth every struggle. take a picnic, enjoy your time and really take it in. There was less than a dozen people there and it was the hottest day in July - but still too cold to swim (for me) - others were swimming.
I'm a very beginner and enjoyed it. we also took a dog who LOVED it. enjoy!

Hard but totally worth it!! The view at the end is breathtaking!!

love & will always recommend this hike. although difficult, it's a fun workout and if you keep going upstream you will find at least 2 more waterfalls that are also beautiful and empty!

Great little hike (more of a walk down a road until you get to the cut down to the river)and well worth it. Falls are much larger early Spring but still impressive later in the summer.

off road driving

Took the trail down to the falls today. You can drive about half way down the “hike” as it is along a gravel road for a while and isn’t bad until you hit a fairly large wash out which I wouldn’t recommend trying to pass unless you have some experience with off road driving. The falls were magnificent and the water was gorgeous (great for a dip! Don’t be a baby, just get in quick). Will absolutely be hiking this again with my brother as the views are too great to miss it.

We enjoyed the trail down to the river, but most of the distance is on a gravel road. 1300’ down, then back up to the car.

Went towards the end of July. Water was low so the rocky hike once you reached the creek wasn't slick. But this is one amazing workout, and a beautiful view at the end of the hike!

This is one of my favorite places in Oregon. It is totally worth the steep trail! Be warned: the gravel road is not very accessible. I had to park my car 2 miles up the road due to large potholes full of water. There were tons of cars but I was alone at the falls, so I am not sure if there is something else to do nearby. Bring a lot of water, more than a waterbottle. Its hot, its steep, the road is uphill on the way back.