Learn more

Abiqua Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,397 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Parking: Parking is located in small nooks along the single lane dirt road. If parking where this page directs you, you’ll be walking along the road for the majority of the hike. If you have an SUV/4WD/something with high clearance, you can follow the mapped trail via car and get much closer to the trails actual start. The further down you go, the sketchier it gets. There is a big wash out and some huge craters about 3/4 of the way down the road. The road heads down hill. So, when you're leaving you'll be climbing out of the valley, and that washout with the craters is at a hairpin turn, so you can't get much of a run at it. Note: There is a new gate blocking the current starting point for this trail. However, you may leave your car and continue past the gate on foot. Here are some tips for this trail: 1. At the very end of the road, you'll notice a trail to your east located about 2 car lengths back from the gate (dead end). There will be a big black and white sign explaining that this is private land and to play it safe. 2. Shortly after that big sign, the trail will seem to split. One path has a fallen tree crossing the trail. The other path, to your right, looks well-traveled. 3. STAY TO YOUR LEFT. WALK OVER THE FALLEN TREE. Shortly after you cross over the log you will see an identical black and white sign. You'll also see a long knotted rope anchored to the base of a small tree. This is the trail you want to be on. Further down the correct trail, you'll get to a point where two large trees have fallen down parallel to one another, leading straight down to the river's edge. There is a rope which leads down the entire length of these logs. This is the easiest way down to the valley floor. Back at the Y, if you chose the trail to your right, you will see the following clues that you are on the wrong path: 1. There will be a nice clearing covered with short grass. This spot has a great view of the valley. The path leading to this point seems very well used. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. 2. Shortly after the grass clearing, the trail will narrow down to a single path of loose sharp stones and dust. The topography will become very steep. The path will make several very quick switch backs. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. 3. You will see a rope tied to a dead tree trunk about 4 feet above the ground where notch has been hacked into the tree trunk for the rope to nest in. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. 4. The rope tied to this dead tree has no outer sheath and looks very old. It also happens to be just long enough to lead you to think you can make it to the next rope tied to a root, but you can't, and by that time you'll find it hard to retreat. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. At this point you should turn around and head back. Don't be foolish! When users reached the second rope tied to the root they reported that it was nothing more than a 3 foot long nub. The entire area is made of loose jagged rocks anchored by nothing but dust. The trails leading down the falls are not marked at all.

A beautiful destination. The hike there is challenging. You must use rope to descend and ascend. It’s pretty cool and fun to do it lol. Bring pole if you prefer. I recommend parking about 3/4 to a 1 mile from the last right turn.

If you use the map on this app, the road gets difficult at 1.5mi. I drive a Rav4 and I don’t think I could have made it. Or at least I wouldn’t have been confident in doing it. There are plenty of places to park/turn around but the roads does get narrow at spots.

I dont think many ppl know this but there is another fall on top of this fall. You can get that view with a better configuration drone. Its all worth the effort. Its like the unfiltered views and the off road journey is also exciting. AWD is always good. There was only one difficult spot where you would need clearance but can be managed

Fun trail. Would recommend getting out early before the crowds. We stopped for 30 min at the falls to take pics. This trail can be done in closer to 2:00 at a good pace.

beautiful hike! trail is much harder going down than going up, but it’s definitely do-able with the ropes they have along the trail! completely recommend going for a swim when you reach the falls!

flooded

As most reviews probably mention - the road is going to be a bit difficult if you do not have a higher clearance vehicle with 4WD. Luckily you can just park anywhere along the road and walk down without any issue. The further down the road you go the worse it seems to get so be prepared to add a bit of extra walking to this trail. There is a white gate at the end of the road where people park so just before you get to the gate look to your left. The trail goes off into the woods next to a tree with a white metal sign nailed to it saying Private Property Abbey Foundation. Not far past this sign is where the real fun begins. There are several trails that will lead down to the water but they all seem to involve ropes to help you with the steep and muddy terrain. This part might not be for everyone so make sure you are comfortable with sketchy descents and have good balance. Once you make it down to the water the trail seems to take you through a scene from Jurassic Park and then it opens up into the waterfall. It's an amazing trip for sure!

private property

If you have a vehicle that’s not a car definitely drive down to the end and park near the actual trail. I drove down as far as I felt comfortable in my car, about 1 1/2 miles from the actual start. It was like 85 degrees so was pretty tired by the time I got to the start. Definitely need to use the ropes to help yourself down to the river and back up to the road when returning. Very slippery where the sun doesn’t shine much. Very rocky when you get down to the river. When I got to the falls it was absolutely breathtaking, so beautiful. I wouldn’t do this one alone again, bring a buddy just in case you slip while going down to the water or coming back up. I’m extremely sore today after doing it yesterday but I would say this is a must do if you’re into searching out waterfalls.

Pretty difficult trail, especially if you aren't in good shape! Trail is pretty muddy and steep in most places. Once you get down to the water I would recommend just walking through the water to the falls. It isn't that far, the water is shallow and it's refreshing on a hot day! Plus the trail is pretty sketch. The falls are amazing and very beautiful! Well worth the hike for sure. Not too many that you can be so close to like these!

The trail was beautiful! I read reviews about not driving all the way down because our suv isn’t 4WD. I really regretted it. We ended up hiking about 5 miles and being jealous that cars were driving all the way in and hiking 1 Mile to the falls. Take gloves! You’ll thank me later. There’s a section where it’s steep and have to hold onto ropes. There were A TON of dogs on and off leash. We took our German Shep mix and she did great and loved the water. If your dog is well behaved I would say go for it.

It was beautiful! We got there around 11 didn’t see too many people until we got to the actual waterfall. Leaving though we saw a lot more people which was around 12-1. Swam and little and it was freezing but I would totally recommend going in a little.

I tried to research as much as I could before heading into this beauty! This was on my bucket list for over a year. Today I marked it off! Make sure to read through the reviews for the best info on how to know exactly where you're going. We got to the trailhead a little after 7am on a Monday morning and we spent a good amount of time at the falls. Total, we saw 4 vehicles and 8 people.

Really pretty spot! I recommend bringing a car that can handle off-road type of roads because most of this ‘hike’ is on the road unless you park as low as you can. The hike itself it probably no more than a mile. Be careful if it has rained recently as some places are steep. Once you turn down onto the trail, keep left & you’ll head down to the river. If you go right, you’ll get a view but not a trail.

Fun but tough trail. Water was cold but well worth the hike

Loved loved LOVED these falls! Most of the hike is walking down the gravel road to get to the mountainside. If you have 4WD you could park farther down the road. Once you get to the actual ‘hike’ down the mountain it’s definitely treacherous. (Recording this hike saved us from a few detours). You’ll literally rappel down a lot of it (there are ropes tied along the trees). Once you’re down to the river, you’ll basically climb over boulders along the riverbank to the falls. BREATHTAKING once you turn the corner to see the falls. Sooooo worth it and cannot wait to go back! This waterfall is unique in that you are literally standing at the bottom of the falls feeling the spray of it vs. having to admire from afar. I was awe-stuck. You’re standing at the bottom of an amphitheater surrounded by beautifully carved mountainsides. AMAZING photo ops. I would love to bring my boys but not sure about some spots for my 6 year old.