Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Abiqua Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

Abiqua Falls Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

private property

Here are some tips for this trail: 1. At the very end of the road, you'll notice a trail to your east located about 2 car lengths back from the gate (dead end). There will be a big black and white sign explaining that this is private land and to play it safe. 2. Shortly after that big sign, the trail will seem to split. One path has a fallen tree crossing the trail. The other path, to your right, looks well-traveled. 3. STAY TO YOUR LEFT. WALK OVER THE FALLEN TREE. Shortly after you cross over the log you will see an identical black and white sign. You'll also see a long knotted rope anchored to the base of a small tree. This is the trail you want to be on. Further down the correct trail, you'll get to a point where two large trees have fallen down parallel to one another, leading straight down to the river's edge. There is a rope which leads down the entire length of these logs. This is the easiest way down to the valley floor. Back at the Y, if you chose the trail to your right, you will see the following clues that you are on the wrong path: 1. There will be a nice clearing covered with short grass. This spot has a great view of the valley. The path leading to this point seems very well used. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. 2. Shortly after the grass clearing, the trail will narrow down to a single path of loose sharp stones and dust. The topography will become very steep. The path will make several very quick switch backs. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. 3. You will see a rope tied to a dead tree trunk about 4 feet above the ground where notch has been hacked into the tree trunk for the rope to nest in. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. 4. The rope tied to this dead tree has no outer sheath and looks very old. It also happens to be just long enough to lead you to think you can make it to the next rope tied to a root, but you can't, and by that time you'll find it hard to retreat. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. At this point you should turn around and head back. Don't be foolish! When users reached the second rope tied to the root they reported that it was nothing more than a 3 foot long nub. The entire area is made of loose jagged rocks anchored by nothing but dust. The trails leading down the falls are not marked at all. Parking: Parking is located in small nooks along the single lane dirt road. The further down you go the sketchier it gets. There is a big wash out and some huge craters about 3/4 of the way down the road. The road heads down hill. So, when you're leaving you'll be climbing out of the valley, and that washout with the craters is at a hairpin turn, so you can't get much of a run at it.

This is one best falls in Oregon , according to me it has given the best experience than Multnomah falls , ONE SUGGESTION i would say please take a SVU or 4*4 if you are going to this place

Absolutely stunning hike and waterfall. The rocks surround you when you’re down by the water almost like you’re in a bowl. Not too hard of a hike but definitely make sure to bring a capable car since the roads leading up to the trail are pretty rough. Great hike and would definitely go again!

Waterfall and surrounding area is amazing! We were able to drive all the way down to the gate with no problems (4x4 Dodge Dakota).

We did find a set of keys, so if you lost any please let me know.

off road driving

The road trail beyond Abiqua trail head is what this recording is about.

Wow. Worth every step. thank you All trails friends for the helpful hints.

We went there yesterday morning and there’s a bunch of snow up there, around 2 feet. We got the pick up stuck but got out with a bit of shoveling. They’re logging up there and I haven’t been in a year so it looked completely and I almost missed the turn. We tried to drive down but we were sliding in the snow and saw a Nissan pick up down the left side of the road that went off the side of the drop off so we decided to hike down the long way. It was super pretty and we saw deer tracks and coyote tracks and even a doe around 8am. When we got to the trailhead the snow thinned out and there was hardly any snow at the falls but a few icicles on the rock walls surrounding the falls. It was twice as had hiking back up in the snow especially without snowshoes but overall not a bad hike. If you get stuck the loggers will help you out, but it’ll cost you so make sure you’ve got a fair bit of cash if you’re worried about that. Other than that it was beautiful as always and we had it all to ourselves. You turn at the sign on the left and then follow the path to the left. Once you see a large cross you’re at the right spot.

one tough hike but so worth it.

private property

First time going up here the trail head was difficult to find but I was not able to make it passed the trail head there was about 2ft of snow possibly more. I plan on going back this spring when the snow melts. There were a lot of people shooting around the area. I used the Google directions. The trail head is shortly after the pavement ends on the right. Seems like a beautiful area. I dislike hiking around a crowded area with tons of people so I'm constantly trying to find places that arent over crowded.

private property

Had to hike down the road, but was able to catch a ride back up. The snow was too high for our vehicle. One of the more beautiful waterfalls in Oregon, in my personal opinion. The ropes are helpful, but not necessary if you are able to walk up steep hills. If you hit the gate, turn around and look for a big black and white sign on a tree to your right.

It was amazing quite snowy to get to the trailhead only drove to where google mapped me even in my Subaru. But some people went all the way down. Once I got to the trail it was muddy but not difficult.

The trail was difficult to find initially. We travelled on a sedan so had to park a little farther than the trail head and walk from there. The trail head is on the left side of a white colored fence while walking towards it. The property behind the fence is private but that fence is a good indication that one has arrived at the trail head. The key is to keep going down and trying to be on the left. The view of falls was great. The hike was not long but steep!!

How do the falls look in August? Looking at this spot as a potential place to elope!

private property

I have gone on this trail every week for the past month, I put this close to the top of my favorite hikes. The waterfall is beautiful, the hike is fun and challenging, and when I decided to take my Jeep down to see the falls the off road driving is a blast. It can get very cold down by the falls especially in winter time so bring gloves or hand warmers if you are like me and plan on staying a while to take photos, or snack. I would highly recommend you to go see these falls. Just make sure if you want to drive all the way down that you have a 4WD or a high clearance vehicle as some parts of that road can be tricky, and I've had to get multiple people out from being stuck.

The waterfall is beautiful. I have gone there many times and every time it continues to blow my mind. The falls and hike change with the seasons. Beautiful beautiful.

i went out a couple weeks ago, and could not drive to the bottom. i have a lil sedan, so i just pulled off the side of the road and parked. even parking a ways up, the hike was totally worth it! the road down is a lovely walk.

Such a beautiful hike!!! I’ve done it a few times now lots of fun..

The view is the best part once you get to the falls

Went this last Sunday, it was raining and I came out muddy and wet but all worth it! I drive 2 wheel Hondai Tucson and took the road down as far as I felt comfortable then walked. Felt good about my stopping point. The last mile of the road is larger rocks and comfortable in a higher clearance Subaru but I didn’t want to chance it. The Hike is great once you get to the trail head. Stayed Left, very steep but ropes right where you needed them. Loved walking along the river, glad I had boots, lots of rocks to get they but the Waterfall is mind blowing!

Road to the trail is kinda hectic. alot of pot holes and big sharp rocks. asides from that I made it down to the gate in my honda crv. If u make it all the way to the end of the road the hike goes from 5.3 down to like 1 1/2 miles from the gate. stay to the left when u hike down the trail. STAY TO THE LEFT! if u don't want to climb down a cliff.

Difficult road to travers to the actual trail head unless you have an all wheel drive vehicle. We walked the road to the TH and the trail itself is not long but steep and appearing not formerly maintained. The hike is sleek with rock and covered in fallen leaves making it difficult to traverse in many areas. The pay off is well worth the jaunt with a beautiful falls. The drive to this falls is also splendid.

Absolutely gorgeous! made it to the white locked fence easily thanks to the directions of *always staying to the left and down hill * directions once turn off of Crooked Finger Rd. Took second trail as stated below with Abbey Foundation sign and it was a quick hike in staying left once we hit the river.
Definitely going back once every season this next year !

Completed 10-8-18
Went in the dark, still a fun hike

Beautiful

My brother & I drove ALL the way here for nothing...
We can hike like beasts and navigate well but once we got about 1/2 way done with the hike, your just left stranded and guessing.
there's a HUGE lack of signs and you just get lead to an open area of complete confusion.
We tried to find the right trail using the description but had no luck at all.
We tried to find the right way for an hour or two and just said screw all of this and packed it home.
If you want to waste your time... Come Up To This Trail!

Beautiful. Rog’s directions below are essential reading before you go.

Just beautiful. Well worth the hike.

Great hike!!!! past reviews helped big time to find the falls. once you get to the dead end it’s only .5 miles to falls but it’s a climb down and a climb back up ,totally worth though . lots of people while we were there . parking is very tight

This trail is very, very dangerous. If you are on the trail in Rog’s pictures (below), you might consider turning around and finding the easier trail a bit further down. We got pretty banged up and were told by a girl that her mom was life-flighted out due to sliding all the way down.

Under current driving conditions (9/22/18) I would say you absolutely must have a high clearance vehicle or you’re going to get stuck.

There are also people shooting guns and drinking most of the way down. Just a heads up.

The waterfall is magical and totally worth visiting.

One of my favorite hikes that I went to. Absolutely beautiful! The unpaved road definitely makes it hard to walk so hiking shoes are recommended (I used running shoes and almost slipped few times). However, the scenery is breathtaking!!!! I got to observe the nature in the most vivid ways— got to see the wildlife (bees, spiders, garden snakes, etc...).

Abiqua is a hard hike but it totally worths the time and energy !!! My friends and I felt accomplished !