Learn more

Abiqua Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,397 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Parking: Parking is located in small nooks along the single lane dirt road. If parking where this page directs you, you’ll be walking along the road for the majority of the hike. If you have an SUV/4WD/something with high clearance, you can follow the mapped trail via car and get much closer to the trails actual start. The further down you go, the sketchier it gets. There is a big wash out and some huge craters about 3/4 of the way down the road. The road heads down hill. So, when you're leaving you'll be climbing out of the valley, and that washout with the craters is at a hairpin turn, so you can't get much of a run at it. Note: There is a new gate blocking the current starting point for this trail. However, you may leave your car and continue past the gate on foot. Here are some tips for this trail: 1. At the very end of the road, you'll notice a trail to your east located about 2 car lengths back from the gate (dead end). There will be a big black and white sign explaining that this is private land and to play it safe. 2. Shortly after that big sign, the trail will seem to split. One path has a fallen tree crossing the trail. The other path, to your right, looks well-traveled. 3. STAY TO YOUR LEFT. WALK OVER THE FALLEN TREE. Shortly after you cross over the log you will see an identical black and white sign. You'll also see a long knotted rope anchored to the base of a small tree. This is the trail you want to be on. Further down the correct trail, you'll get to a point where two large trees have fallen down parallel to one another, leading straight down to the river's edge. There is a rope which leads down the entire length of these logs. This is the easiest way down to the valley floor. Back at the Y, if you chose the trail to your right, you will see the following clues that you are on the wrong path: 1. There will be a nice clearing covered with short grass. This spot has a great view of the valley. The path leading to this point seems very well used. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. 2. Shortly after the grass clearing, the trail will narrow down to a single path of loose sharp stones and dust. The topography will become very steep. The path will make several very quick switch backs. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. 3. You will see a rope tied to a dead tree trunk about 4 feet above the ground where notch has been hacked into the tree trunk for the rope to nest in. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. 4. The rope tied to this dead tree has no outer sheath and looks very old. It also happens to be just long enough to lead you to think you can make it to the next rope tied to a root, but you can't, and by that time you'll find it hard to retreat. TURN AROUND YOU'RE ON THE WRONG PATH. At this point you should turn around and head back. Don't be foolish! When users reached the second rope tied to the root they reported that it was nothing more than a 3 foot long nub. The entire area is made of loose jagged rocks anchored by nothing but dust. The trails leading down the falls are not marked at all.

The whole time to the trail was spent wondering “are we going the right way? Are we on SUPER private property?” then we got to the trail and we said “okay this is just a muddy... not quite cliff... cliff... with ropes I guess...” but it’s beautiful and honestly once you just accept that it’s a mess, it’s really fun. The falls is also so stunning it took my breath away and I didn’t worry about how I would get my fat ass up the hill. Spoiler alert, I made it, and I’ll happily do it again.

SO worth it!!!

Easy to find with others’ directions. I would give the falls five stars and the hike itself 2 stars. We took our time and the whole thing took about two hours, most of which was spent on the road (“hiking” on roads is a personal pet peeve). Just wanted to make that clear—I couldn’t tell by other reviews that the majority of the hike was on the road, and the trail to the falls is very short.

recorded Abiqua Falls Trail

Very steep and slippery rocks for .25mi but the rest is pretty easy!!! You can park a lot closer on the map if you want to make it a shorter trip.

the most beautiful fall in Oregon I've seen. I cry every time

Spectacular waterfall!! Thank you to all who wrote up reviews and provided guidance so that I was able to easily get to the trailhead and find the trail. I used Waze and it led me right to the trailhead, and followed the trail on AllTrails to make sure I didn't veer off course. Some additional tips I'd contribute. I brought gloves which was nice given the rope down and occasional rock scrambles. If you're hoping to take serious photographs I'd avoid ~11:30a this time of year as the sun is directly above the waterfall. Photos were easier to take a bit earlier and after I waited it out for a bit and the sun went behind the trees. I took a video of the ride from Crooked Finger Road to the trailhead in case anyone wants to determine if/how far they should drive (see below). Road to Abiqua Falls: https://youtu.be/XQxZv15KVT4

One of my favorite falls of all time! It was so fun to get down and back up, definitely use the ropes...and DEFINITELY wear the appropriate shoes. Oh, this waterfall is breathtaking! I can't wait to do it again. My boyfriend did it by himself, then took me the next weekend because he liked it so much!

I couldn’t risk getting stuck so I decided to park up at the top where AllTrails starts their map. (After the run I probably could of got maybe 1/2 way down.) I don’t recommend taking a 2WD vehicle down unless it’s been lifted. The Trail it’s self wasn’t too bad. Nice who ever added the ropes. Pretty short and peaceful (I went early, 7:00am. No one else was there.) Its well worth the trip just to see the Falls. NOTE: This Trail is not for people w/ bad knees, hips or back. * No parking fee. * GPS works. * No toilets.

went yesturday and it was well worth it. you can actully take your car down for half of the "hike" make sure you do that couse going back up is killer. The trail to the hike is at the 1st sign befor the gate. DO NOT GO BEYOUND THE GATE for the falls.

Fantastic hike and beautiful falls at the end of the hike. My husband and I did this hike with a 2 year old and our 2 dogs and it was quite difficult. Our toddler was throwing a fit during the rope part but if you have a calm cooperative child it’ll be easier. Side note: Please be mindful of where you park!! On our way down there was a van parked next to a giant boulder in the road blocking cars from passing by. A car had to wait a couple of hours for them to get back and move their vehicle so he could get out.

The alltrails mileage is way off. the trail is about a half mile long for a total of one mile.

Some things I wish I would have known.. 1. If you start hiking at the trail GPS starting point, you’ll be walking along the road for the majority of the hike. If you have an SUV/4WD/something with high clearance, you can follow the mapped trail via car and get much closer to the trails actual start. If you don’t have an off-road vehicle, you’ll have to ditch your car at the top and all the off-road people will be passing you on a thin road. 2. Once the paved road ends, you’ll take a slight right..there’s a yellowish sign with the #2 on it and a brown bulletin board marking it. This road goes the majority of the hike and stops at the true start of the trail. 3. There’s multiple rope options to get down. We didn’t realize this and took the sketchiest one. 4. This map accounts for you parking at the top, and the trail is much less than 5.3 miles if you can keep driving (which most people do). 5. I almost made it to the end of the road with a 2WD Jeep Liberty. I wouldn’t recommend trying if you’re sensitive about tree branch scratches or don’t know how to avoid bottoming out. 6. If you follow the first/main dirt road to the end (in front of a white gate) you might see people going back there to hike/shoot. That’s not the trail and you missed the right turn. 7. If you have seasoned hiking dogs, they will have no problem. I took my dogs off leash to get down/up the ropes. There are drop offs and some good sized falling rocks, so if your dog would make bad choices, maybe don’t bring them.

The ending is amazing! Loved the falls and it’s now one of my favorites, but a few words of caution. This is not a dog-friendly hike. The last 3/4 of a mile is very steep and parts of the trail have ropes for you to hold as you go down/back up so you can stabilize yourself. This part of the trail is also a scramble across rocks to get to the falls. Despite the physicality required to do this hike it was sooo beautiful! Hiking boots are a must! The road leading to the trail head is also very rough and would need a vehicle with clearance to drive on (I drive a Honda Civic so we parked it up the road a few miles and walked down). Also saw larger vehicles having a difficult time navigating the road. Happy hiking friends