Abiqua Falls Trail

Abiqua Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

off road driving

Abiqua Falls is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Oregon. While located on private land the falls are currently accessible to visitors but getting to the trailhead does require some off-roading. Finding the turn off is tricky so it's not wise to simply rely on your phone's GPS for directions.

This is one by far of my favorite hikes in Oregon. It wasn't easy to find this trail but with help of other hikers who we bumped into while we were there, we were able to find it. It is a short hike but also a steep one. We went in February and it was amazing there because there were almost no one there but us. :)

This trail (the 5.3 mile one listed) is 75% gravel road. As the actual trail is heavily trafficked, numerous cars drove by and it was not the best. I wanted a longer hike, so I parked farther up, but if I were to do it again I'd park near the trailhead and just do the short hike down to the falls, which is spectacular and why I rated this trail higher. The trailhead is not hard to find; these directions worked perfectly. The tricky part is once you start on the trail. My advice is to stick to the left once you e found the trail as there are several opportunities to go right. I hiked down the river a ways on my way back from the falls and found some people who had taken a right somewhere on the trail, and it looked messy. Stay left! The trail does have ropes to help you get down, but they are well places. I'd be hesitant to hike this after a good rain as it would be slick. I would take an adventurous 5 year old, but not any younger than that.

A bit difficult to get to. Follow the dirty road all the way to the gate. Road was narrow and rough. Make sure you have a 4x4 or higher clearance vehicle. Hike was nice and short with a great payoff

The trail head is difficult to find and it is a pretty steep hike down but well worth the hike. Beautiful waterfall at a dead end with huge surrounding cliffs above you. The water is very cold even on a 100 degree day, but a few brave souls went in.
Drive a truck or SUV with 4wd so you can park at the trail head. Keep driving all the way down until the road is closed by a gate and park. The trail head is not marked but it's on the left just before you park. Or you can walk down past the gate and go left about 100 yards down, both go to the same spot. Once you hike a ways you come to an area that splits, the way the looks like the main trail (right) will lead you to a very sketchy and steep drop. You can climb down and go this way but we did not. If you go left it looks like two big bmx jumps, go that way and you will take a safer more gradual way down.

Steep hike so good shoes are a must but well worth it.

I suggest not going on the weekend and make sure you have a 4x4 vehicle. Beautiful falls and worth the adventure but be prepared. The hike is very steep in sections but ok if you take your time.

Absolutely stunning waterfall !!! Comes out of no where! Please please be careful when driving down, very large pot holes, but that being said I'm so glad we did! We also drove to the very end and went down a clif with rope lol

Very beautiful! But tons of people definitely recommend going on a day when it's not too hot out or a weekday.

You will need a high clearance car to get all the way to the trailhead, otherwise you can park about 20 minutes up the gravel road and walk down. The trailhead will be to the left. I accidentally took a right on the trail where it forks off and had to scale down an extremely steep cliff with ropes helping you along the way. There's an easier way to get down if you take a left instead. Once you get down to the creak you hang a left to get to the falls, make sure you stay on the left side of the creak or else you'll have to cross through water about halfway up.
The best part about the falls is it's very clean no garbage, barely any people maybe 5-10 at a time, and just the remarkable beauty of the falls. Highly recommend good hiking shoes for this trail.