Abiqua Falls Trail

Abiqua Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

off road driving

Abiqua Falls is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Oregon. While located on private land the falls are currently accessible to visitors but getting to the trailhead does require some off-roading. Finding the turn off is tricky so it's not wise to simply rely on your phone's GPS for directions.

Trailhead: unless you have a Jeep, I recommend parking at the top and not attempting to drive down. The rain over the winter made the roads really rough.

If you manage to get to the trailhead driving, it's on the left side of the road, about 2 miles down. Park on the right, right before it. You'll see a clearing.

Trail: I did this yesterday, March 23, 2017. The rain has made the trail towards the water give way. Luckily, there are some ropes that you will need to use getting out. Probably for about 50 ft up.

Caution: be careful of loose rock. A girl fell 80 feet last week. A good reminder to check rocks before you plant your feet on them. I highly recommend not taking kids under 13 on this or anyone that cannot pull themselves up with rope.

Overall: despite the erosion from the rain, this fall is beautiful and worthy of a visit.

Amazing hike! It will definitely take your breath away...as in the steep hill back up to the trailhead will. There are ropes all along the trail to help you up and down the slippery parts, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I wouldn't say it is the most kid friendly trail, but I saw lots of dogs on the trail that did amazing. Maybe not a trail for an older dog, but easy for dogs with lots of energy. I absolutely recommend doing this hike, just make sure to take a vehicle there that can get you down to the trailhead instead of having to park up at the first parking lot.

Great hike, but at the end gets hard. Very steep, just gotta watch your step. But at the end its all worth it for the waterfall. Definitely read some of the other reviews before going..

It was most definitely a tough hike for the last mile, I fell which was expected, got muddy and frustrated but it was all worth it for the beautiful view at the end. Going back up was tiring for the last mile since we parked so far up. Overall the trail was amazing.

⚠️ IMPORTANT SAFETY NOTE‼️— the last section of this hike (from the road to the falls, ~1 mile) is much more difficult and technical than what has been posted here and online! This last section is NOT kid or dog-friendly and requires scrambling. I don't want to discourage people from hiking this, the falls are beautiful and worth the hike/scramble, but please do not underestimate this hike, especially if you are not a seasoned hiker! This is the third year in a row a life-threatening rescue situation has taken place here. There are multiple scramble situations, and in the rain or wet season, it gets precarious very quickly. I was actually third on the scene to an emergency situation yesterday where a person fell 100+ feet into the river on a rope-assisted section of the trail and was severely injured and would have likely drowned if not for a fast-acting hiker. The trail is not well marked from the road and there are actually two ways down, both ways have sections with ropes to aid in the descent, but I highly recommend taking the less steep (Eastern most) route down → the route listed on this AllTrails map appears to be the way I would recommend so if you stick to it you should be OK, but if you come upon a very steep (45 degree + angle) section where you can see the river below from about 100-150 feet up from the top you are on the WRONG and more dangerous descent route. Keep in mind there ARE ropes on this steep section, but it is still a very technical descent, I would highly recommend not taking it but if you do be extremely careful and watch for people above you since large boulders will be dislodged and fall on you. Our group was hit by multiple 20lb plus rocks throughout the rescue situation. If you find yourself there backtrack towards the road and you will see another trail that veers more East. Take this trail down, it is still steep with roped sections, but much safer. Exertion-wise this is a MODERATE hike (especially the first few miles while you are on roads), but in terms of technicality, especially if wet and as you get nearer to the river, I would call this a HARD or DIFFICULT hike even for seasoned hikers.

why is this marked with off road driving?

Such a beautiful and rewarding hike! One of my favorite waterfall scenes, gorgeous and serene. The trailhead is definitely hard to find. Make sure you turn down the ATV staging road from Crooked Finger Rd and several miles down that bumpy road you will come across a white sign on your left that says something about private property but public is permitted and says Abbey Foundation at the bottom, that is where the trail starts.

when you get to the end of the road area its on your left that you start to decent. when you het down toward the water, just follow the bank. totally worth the scramble.

This falls hike was a pleasant surprise. The trek from the forest road parking to the falls felt about 2 miles in length. Although there are two options for decent to the river level, taking a left at the first junction will offer a much easier trail. The other option is for experienced hikers. Scrambling and rope dependency are to be expected. Even with the crazy decent path it took about an hour to reach the falls. For those that enjoy a good hidden gem; when leaving the trailhead there is a 90 degree left turn near the crest of a small hill about 0.2 miles away that has a tree with two red squares painted on it. If you follow the trail at the tree to the first right turn about 200 feet following the turn, you will get a spectacular view of the falls from above. There is more than one level to Abiqua falls and it's worth this short little walk to experience it. There were several hikers at the bottom but nobody at the top. There was a bottle with a gold wrapper inside hanging from a tree near the red square painted tree, just as a reference.

I went on this trail last weekend and it was raining most of the time, but was not terrible at all! The dot where AllTrails starts the trail is not the actual trailhead. You can drive down further and there will be a huge open area that you can park (you will hit a big area that looks like parking and there is a wooden cross, but you can actually drive further down). I saw a couple of cars parked there so the road is bumpy but just drive slow and its not terrible. The hike was mainly a paved road and then the trail is actually short. You will see a big white sign attached to a tree at the trailhead saying that this is private land but open to the public for recreational use. There are ropes along the way to help since it can be a little muddy. Once you get to the river you can just walk along the river bank over rocks until you hit the falls! Definitely an amazing site.

This was beautiful. I went in early June in the middle of the week so the crowds weren't too bad. The trail head was a little hard to find even with the directions from this site. The markers from the photos for the trail head were overgrown with vegetation. Once we found the trail head i.e. where the road got a little rough for our vehicle. The trail was great but be wary of the steeper route if you bring your pups. The waterfall was worth the trouble and the overall scenery was once again beautiful.

We drove all the way to the trail head so it was a very short hike. Enjoyed actually getting to the falls but it was very crowded.

Absolutely incredible waterfall. Extremely easy hike if you are able to drive down the road to the trail head rather than walk. From that part only took us about 20 min. On GPS the directions say to stop up at a clearing and the hike is way down the road. The roads pretty rough but if you have any type of SUV or something of that sorts you're golden. Might be my favorite place. Highly reccomended

I went there with my three kids, summer of 2016! We truly enjoyed it. Absolutely breathtaking!!

They weren't lying when they said the road was rough. I didn't want to take my chances so we parked in the small dirt lot before things got really bad. We walked all the way down and it was pretty far and rocky. Once we got to the trail it wasn't as difficult as expected to be plus very rewarding at the falls. My partner and I met some pretty nice locals there who actually gave us a lift all the way back to our car... which honestly I couldn't have been more grateful for