Abiqua Falls Trail

Abiqua Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

off road driving

Abiqua Falls is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Oregon. While located on private land the falls are currently accessible to visitors but getting to the trailhead does require some off-roading. Finding the turn off is tricky so it's not wise to simply rely on your phone's GPS for directions.

Was able to get my honda all the way down to the second trailhead, if just barely. Strongly not recommended if you do not have four wheel drive and it has just rained a lot. Fun little hike, pretty technical, but short, and the reward was huge! Had a great time.

Beautiful fall, so worth it! HIGHLY RECOMMEND 4-wheel drive vehicle, not completely necessary. With 4wd, does allows you to get a closer parking location near trailhead! Which is at the end of the gravel road! So keep going! You’ll see various parking locations along the way, but for easiest parking, I suggest the very end. The trail itself wasn’t too bad some steep areas down/inclines. There’re some ropes posted along trail for assistance. Will climb over and under fallen trees, nothing terrible! From the trailhead it’s about a 15 minute hike down then about 10 minutes along the riverbank.

The weather conditions: Clear skies/sunshine.
The day before had rained, caused for conditions to be muddy and slippery.

Driving directions: Once you get to the RockCreek Road once you get to the end of the paved road take that until you see a sign on your right. Then follow that and after sometime you’ll see a fork -take the ATV trail- which is pretty much a straight. Take that, and that road will lead to the trailhead at the end of it. There are multiple parking areas: a large gravel area(vehicles w/o 4wd- it is a long walk), pull offs on the side of the road(3-4), one right before trailhead, one right after trailhead (preferred parking).

Hope that helps! Happy adventuring!

I make it a ritual to visit this little bit of heaven every year. It changes each time I visit. Beautiful doesn't even fit the description of this waterfall. It is so much more. Not a hike for the timid. Respect the beauty of the forest and leave no trace.

Just did the hike/drive in late December. The drive was not bad but having lots of ground clearance and 4WD is advised. Some technical spots on the hike, but ropes were in place for steep muddy parts of the trail. You have to hop over some downed trees and traverse over a short but slippery rocky section where it would be easy to twist an ankle. Poles were helpful. Having said all that, seeing the falls for the first time was pretty cool. There is a lot more water going over the falls this time of year than what you see in the pictures.

My absolute favorite waterfall in Oregon. Last year I totaled my car trying to see it all snowy and icy. That was AFTER I got stuck and had to be pulled up the hill. It’s a bit tricky to find and instagrams Location finder is not accurate. It’s so worth it and the trail is crazy. I went when it was pouring down rain on Christmas Eve. Difficult to say the least and I’ll upload some pictures to show how amazing it is. Go check em out and follow me on IG @robdoesitall #Robventures

This hike definitely kicked my A** but it was completely worth it the waterfalls and the views were breathtaking i recommend this to anyone who hasn’t been to go.

My favorite waterfall in Oregon. It can be difficult to find if you’ve never been, but the All Trails app will help. Road conditions today were considerably better than I expected, it looks like someone has gone through with dirt and smoothed over a lot of the holes. That said, I would still recommend a high clearance vehicle. The trail itself isn’t hard, as there is rope to help you climb down, but it can be slick so take your time.

Magical is how I would describe this waterfall. Truly something out of a movie. I'm surprised this is rated as hard. I thought it was pretty easy overall. Yeah you have to deal with some mud but really there was only one difficult section. Just take it slow over it and you'll be fine. There's ropes around for some of the steep parts. We ended up parking at the gravel pit because we were afraid of the potholes. The drive up before that was actually much nicer than I was expecting. In any case that adds about 1.5 miles or around 45 minutes to the hike 1 way. From the trail head (a white sign stating this is private property but open to public use) go left. It felt very short maybe only a mile perhaps a little more. The waterfall was flowing strong when we went. I'm glad that we got there early because as we left tons of people started to show up and the road past the gravel pit is very narrow.

The hike takes you on a forest road with a decline the entire way up to the waterfall. Nothing too spectacular until the last .3, which has you scrambling along the river to the site. Make sure to cut left where there will be a sign stating you're on private lands, instead of going straight and around the bend going right. That is around the last .4~ mile.

The only thing that makes it hard are the steep hills but there are ropes to guide you down and climbing on the rocks was fun. It’s not family friendly but I’ve seen people carry their 4 year olds down. The mud can be slippery when wet but the view was so amazing! It was also a little difficult to find the trail since there are really no signs. Also, the drive was ok, if you have a small car then it’s best to park up the hill and walk to the trail, even though it added an extra 3 miles, my car was safe from big rocks and dips lol.

Amazing hike! A bit technical with the ropes part but still worth it! Beautiful falls, one of my favorites in Oregon. Saw numerous parties turning back with dogs because of the ropes section though, I’m glad I didn’t bring mine or we wouldn’t have made it down. Defiantly a must do!!

Rated hard due to the slick, wet rocks and tree roots that make it an ankle and balance workout. Step sections are short and not that difficult. Road was actually a good road by standards of were I’m from (MT). A Outback or Crosstrek on up in height would not have a problem. Too narrow in sections for two cars, but wide enough most of the way. Someone with good driving skills/ off roading experience could get a car down this road no problem. I posted pics of the only areas were clearance would be an issue, though manageable if you know what you are doing.

This is one by far of my favorite hikes in Oregon. It wasn't easy to find this trail but with help of other hikers who we bumped into while we were there, we were able to find it. It is a short hike but also a steep one. We went in February and it was amazing there because there were almost no one there but us. :)

This trail (the 5.3 mile one listed) is 75% gravel road. As the actual trail is heavily trafficked, numerous cars drove by and it was not the best. I wanted a longer hike, so I parked farther up, but if I were to do it again I'd park near the trailhead and just do the short hike down to the falls, which is spectacular and why I rated this trail higher. The trailhead is not hard to find; these directions worked perfectly. The tricky part is once you start on the trail. My advice is to stick to the left once you e found the trail as there are several opportunities to go right. I hiked down the river a ways on my way back from the falls and found some people who had taken a right somewhere on the trail, and it looked messy. Stay left! The trail does have ropes to help you get down, but they are well places. I'd be hesitant to hike this after a good rain as it would be slick. I would take an adventurous 5 year old, but not any younger than that.

A bit difficult to get to. Follow the dirty road all the way to the gate. Road was narrow and rough. Make sure you have a 4x4 or higher clearance vehicle. Hike was nice and short with a great payoff

The trail head is difficult to find and it is a pretty steep hike down but well worth the hike. Beautiful waterfall at a dead end with huge surrounding cliffs above you. The water is very cold even on a 100 degree day, but a few brave souls went in.
Drive a truck or SUV with 4wd so you can park at the trail head. Keep driving all the way down until the road is closed by a gate and park. The trail head is not marked but it's on the left just before you park. Or you can walk down past the gate and go left about 100 yards down, both go to the same spot. Once you hike a ways you come to an area that splits, the way the looks like the main trail (right) will lead you to a very sketchy and steep drop. You can climb down and go this way but we did not. If you go left it looks like two big bmx jumps, go that way and you will take a safer more gradual way down.

Steep hike so good shoes are a must but well worth it.

I suggest not going on the weekend and make sure you have a 4x4 vehicle. Beautiful falls and worth the adventure but be prepared. The hike is very steep in sections but ok if you take your time.

Absolutely stunning waterfall !!! Comes out of no where! Please please be careful when driving down, very large pot holes, but that being said I'm so glad we did! We also drove to the very end and went down a clif with rope lol

Very beautiful! But tons of people definitely recommend going on a day when it's not too hot out or a weekday.