Abiqua Falls Trail

Abiqua Falls Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Scotts Mills, Oregon that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

off road driving

Abiqua Falls is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Oregon. While located on private land the falls are currently accessible to visitors but getting to the trailhead does require some off-roading. Finding the turn off is tricky so it's not wise to simply rely on your phone's GPS for directions.

The only thing that makes it hard are the steep hills but there are ropes to guide you down and climbing on the rocks was fun. It’s not family friendly but I’ve seen people carry their 4 year olds down. The mud can be slippery when wet but the view was so amazing! It was also a little difficult to find the trail since there are really no signs. Also, the drive was ok, if you have a small car then it’s best to park up the hill and walk to the trail, even though it added an extra 3 miles, my car was safe from big rocks and dips lol.

Rated hard due to the slick, wet rocks and tree roots that make it an ankle and balance workout. Step sections are short and not that difficult. Road was actually a good road by standards of were I’m from (MT). A Outback or Crosstrek on up in height would not have a problem. Too narrow in sections for two cars, but wide enough most of the way. Someone with good driving skills/ off roading experience could get a car down this road no problem. I posted pics of the only areas were clearance would be an issue, though manageable if you know what you are doing.

This is one by far of my favorite hikes in Oregon. It wasn't easy to find this trail but with help of other hikers who we bumped into while we were there, we were able to find it. It is a short hike but also a steep one. We went in February and it was amazing there because there were almost no one there but us. :)

This trail (the 5.3 mile one listed) is 75% gravel road. As the actual trail is heavily trafficked, numerous cars drove by and it was not the best. I wanted a longer hike, so I parked farther up, but if I were to do it again I'd park near the trailhead and just do the short hike down to the falls, which is spectacular and why I rated this trail higher. The trailhead is not hard to find; these directions worked perfectly. The tricky part is once you start on the trail. My advice is to stick to the left once you e found the trail as there are several opportunities to go right. I hiked down the river a ways on my way back from the falls and found some people who had taken a right somewhere on the trail, and it looked messy. Stay left! The trail does have ropes to help you get down, but they are well places. I'd be hesitant to hike this after a good rain as it would be slick. I would take an adventurous 5 year old, but not any younger than that.

A bit difficult to get to. Follow the dirty road all the way to the gate. Road was narrow and rough. Make sure you have a 4x4 or higher clearance vehicle. Hike was nice and short with a great payoff

The trail head is difficult to find and it is a pretty steep hike down but well worth the hike. Beautiful waterfall at a dead end with huge surrounding cliffs above you. The water is very cold even on a 100 degree day, but a few brave souls went in.
Drive a truck or SUV with 4wd so you can park at the trail head. Keep driving all the way down until the road is closed by a gate and park. The trail head is not marked but it's on the left just before you park. Or you can walk down past the gate and go left about 100 yards down, both go to the same spot. Once you hike a ways you come to an area that splits, the way the looks like the main trail (right) will lead you to a very sketchy and steep drop. You can climb down and go this way but we did not. If you go left it looks like two big bmx jumps, go that way and you will take a safer more gradual way down.

Steep hike so good shoes are a must but well worth it.

I suggest not going on the weekend and make sure you have a 4x4 vehicle. Beautiful falls and worth the adventure but be prepared. The hike is very steep in sections but ok if you take your time.