560 Loop Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(180)
McDonald-Dunn Forest

560 Loop Trail [CLOSED] is a 8.5 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Corvallis, Oregon that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.5 km Elevation Gain: 256 m Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. This is a loop hike, which can be done in either direction. Many hike it "counter-clock wise", and bike it "clock-wise." This is the "hike" version which climbs about 800 feet in 1.5 miles. Start at the gate and head up the 540 road about 1 mile, then take a right onto the 543 road, which is really a large single-track now. At the top of the climb, take a left onto the 560 "top" road. Note that just before the 4+1 Junction you'll pass the "Cap House" which was built in the 30's to store the blasting caps used to log and make the roads. At the 4+1 Junction, go left on the 500 road down to Cronemiller Lake junction. Go left and go along the lake and OSU Timber Team practice area back on the 540 road again and follow it back to the Adair gate.

closed

Access Update: Still Closed due to COVID. 23 April 2020

This trail is closed as of 4/10/20 when we were going to hike it. Anything managed by OSU is closed

Hiked the 560 loop with two friends on 3/16/20. Weather conditions were perfect for hiking, enjoyed the large old trees. Hiked the loop counter clockwise because this make the loop more challenging. Portions off the trail are on a old service road, I prefer the single track section, overall a good hike. Our group did venture out and explore some the single track trail to get some better photo opportunities.

Nicely groomed, easy trail. I've hiked this area a few times and there are usually a lot of people and dogs.

This was a lovely hike, going clockwise was a steady uphill followed by a quick downhill. Flat at the top. Beautiful old growth forest!

This is a nice hiking area nearby Corvallis. As a lot of other users have said be mindful of which direction you start in, I started with the uphill portion which I did not anticipate but it was a good challenge. It a well-maintained area with lots of other hikers/runners and some good views.

Great hike with offshoot trails to add in if you wish. In the description there’s a section that references going clockwise or counter-clockwise. The Clockwise direction has a more spread out incline whereas the counter-clockwise direction is steeper. If you want a nice incline challenge go counter-clockwise.

Nice hike but suggest adding the powder house loop on- if not you will miss the nicest scenery!

Great hike. The beginning is mostly up hill and is steep in spots. Passed a few people on trails, but had most of the hike to ourselves. You can see a little bit of the valley between trees. I highly recommend thus hike and will go again in the future.

This was a great trail for me and my boys. The first spot to chose which way to turn we went right and it was alllll up hill and alittle difficult for my littles. But so pretty and well maintained. Our dog enjoyed it too.

Beautiful, mostly shaded. Packed gravel with dirt paths that split off.

this is my first real use of AllTrails. so far it's a 5 star app. I used it on this hike which I know. Love this app. the map was spot on. my goal is to learn all it can do.

Love this trail.

Sun May 19 2019

We ended up biking this trail following these directions (counter-clockwise). We found ourselves walking the bikes up...up...up and up some more. When we FINALLY got the to the top, exhausted, we found ourselves relieved to find the the rest was down hill. While we hiked up a single-track like trail, we rode down a gravel service road type trail. The lake on the way down was really cool (cronemiller) and the people there were friendly. While there was limited official parking, we found them at there was plenty of space to park on the side of highway just outside the start point. Awesome trail.

Mon Apr 29 2019

Nice hiking with slight elevation at first. saw a number of people hiking and biking.

Sun Apr 21 2019

Thus was a great moderate trail, very well kept area. We were able to take our dogs and let them off leash occasionally, one is young and not sure how she acts with other people and dogs. The climb in elevation raised our heart levels, as we hadn’t hiked in a while. The weather was mild and we enjoyed the lake view too.

Sun Apr 07 2019

This is a very well maintained trail. i love that it is off leash for my pup.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Great, well kept trail. Can be a bit confusing at times if you head out to the outer trails, would recommend a map if you go that route. Absolutely beautiful hike though and with few tripping hazards so that you can stay eyes up the whole way. Some steep inclines/declines at points but not too difficult for really any level of hiker! Would recommend!

Mon Jan 21 2019

Good hike. Easy to get to and while there might be quite a few others hiking it never felt crowded.

Wed Jan 09 2019

Great hiking trail. Easy to get to. It is steep at some points. Nice being able to take my dog and to be off leash. Had a nice sunny day in late Dec. and was not busy.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Pretty good hike and easy to get to, the incline is pretty steep but a good workout! Lots of people on bikes which is cool. Not very many view-points. I think people use it more as a walking/jogging loop regularly. There’s a nice little pond and it’s a fun place to hangout when it’s sunny. The trails are mostly gravel.

Sun Sep 09 2018

3.9 Miles is the trail length according to my phone. Took me about an hour and 20 minutes to complete. Good trail but if given the choice I’d do the section 36 loop trail any day over this loop trail

Mon Sep 03 2018

awesome so many trails

Fri Aug 31 2018

Lovely hike with my 2 grown kiddos and 2 dogs. The lake was small, but beautiful and peaceful. The dogs romped around in the water for a bit. I rated this hike only 3 stars because 90% of the loop was on a gravel road. We were under tree cover the entire hike and the trees were pretty along with birds chirping!

Sun Jul 29 2018

Nice trail....perfect Sunday morning walk

Sun Jul 22 2018

great hike peaceful and the lake is beautiful can't wait to go back and explore the rest of the trails

Sat May 26 2018

Great moderate hike. Saw a wild turkey and wild flowers. Directions are accurate. Left me wanting to explore the many other trails in that area.

Tue Feb 20 2018

This was fun hike. Was a little steeper in places than others said it was. That being said my family of 5 did this hike in a couple hours.

Fri Feb 16 2018

I did this as a night hike it felt pretty comfortable even in the dark would like to go back during the day to check out the scenery