Sparrow Hawk Primitive Area Trail

Sparrow Hawk Primitive Area Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Tahlequah, Oklahoma that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Sparrowhawk trail is beloved by thousands of college students and river rats who visit the Illinois River near Tahlaquah, Oklahoma. It sports some of the most beautiful views in northeastern Oklahoma. There are several adjoining trails off of the main one. You need an Oklahoma hunting license, fishing license, or wildlife passport to enter the trail.

Great trail, beautiful views. we saw several deer and lots of squirrels. Took us about 3 hrs to do the full 5 miles.

A little steep in a couple of places, but very pretty. my phone said 4.9 miles, not 3.9. At the very end I ran into a gigantic bunch of seed ticks though.

We only had an hour to hike so we couldn’t do the whole trail but what we saw was beautiful.

Beautiful view but the trail was not well marked.

Nice little trail. Well maintained with great views of the Illinois river and countryside below. Great for a short hike and relaxing in the hammock. No water source.

Beautiful views. Would definitely go back.

I attend college in Tahlequah and use Sparrowhawk as my own little get away. The trail has awesome views with a sweet hammocking spot on the cliff. Make sure you have a hunting or fishing license.

Pretty views, but you need a hunting or fishing permit unless you're willing to duck the law (which is exactly what I do). Easy trail, you'll definitely see others while hiking.

Loved it. Great hiking and great views!

great trail my phone showed 4.8 miles lots of rock and a little climb for a great view

Nice trail. Be forwarned! You need an Oklahoma hunting license, fishing license, or wildlife passport to enter the trail. I know, because we had to pay a fine too the game warden upon exiting the trail. Great views though and a good moderately difficult hike.

Went with husband and 4 year old. It was long but beautiful at the top. It took us about 2 hours.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Nice elevation changes.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

The overlook was amazing, but after that there really isn't a lot to see. Also, the trail was easy to follow until you reached the part where it backs up to private residences.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Really pretty ! Big hills ! Loved it

Monday, May 08, 2017

nice trail for me since i am out of shape. i tried to do the entire loop but got confused in the area where it reached the private homes.

there is not much to see after you pass the scenic view about a mile in.

all of the hikers were local people and very affable and fun to visit with.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Absolutely loved this trail!

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Great trail for my daughters 1st hike

Sunday, March 05, 2017

We just drove out to find a sign that said we need a hunting or fishing license just to enter the area?? What? Drove to where the directions bring you...

Sunday, February 26, 2017

The views of the Illinois River are gorgeous! The trail is steep in parts, but it's not too bad, and certainly worth it.

The trail degrades a bit after the overlook only in that the area has been opened up to mountain bikers and isn't one, clear trail, but several (really, so many!) little loopy trails that meander about and double back on themselves. It's a bit frustrating, but shouldn't keep you from visiting if you're in the area.

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Loved this trail...was work getting to the top but totally worth the work~ view was beautiful.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

one of my favorite trails in Oklahoma

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Need help--
Hiked this trail Sat. Could not find the two rock outcroppings shown in the pictures. We found "look out point" but couldn't find the others. Where did we miss this.
We are planning on going back. If you can offer some help please let me know.
The trails are beautiful.
If you can offer some help I'd appreciate it.
stevewjohns@outlook.com

Monday, October 10, 2016

Trail had some amazing bluff views. I would definitely do this one again!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

I just did the Appalachian Trail from Springer 720 miles to troutdale and if you are planning on doing the Appalachian Trail this would be a great Training ground has a lot of ups and down hills you'll find on the Appalachian Trail put equipment and 4 day food and 2 liter of water in the pack that you plan on taking I recommend about 30 pounds and do it about three times will be about equal first days on the Appalachian Trail

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Beautiful scenery and good cardio workout with several up and down sections. Dog friendly. Should not hike during deer season as hunters can be plentiful.

Thursday, January 28, 2016

Very beautiful views at the top of the trail. It has some good hills to climb. Now that you have to have a hunting or fishing license I haven't been back, even though I have a fishing license. It probably shouldn't be on the list cause If you didn't know this the authorities will write you a ticket.

Monday, December 21, 2015

beautiful place to hike. that first half mile is tough, very uphill. really cool bluffs and river scenery.