Skyline Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY]

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(269)
Beavers Bend State Park

Skyline Trail [PRIVATE PROPERTY] is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Broken Bow, Oklahoma that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,663 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

bridge out

private property

Beavers Bend State Park 4350 S State Hwy 259A Broken Bow, OK 74728 Phone: 580-494-6556

We clocked 9.3 miles on this trail - was a fantastic hike. Took us about 6 hours BUT we were a family of 4 with a dog, stopping at creek crossings, picture taking opps, to play in the waterfall and take a lunch! Is not for beginners or people with knee problems - the downs were rough on the knees but over all a great hike if your in shape and used to hiking! We loved the Creeks & waterfalls - we did take Keens and strapped them to our packs - at Bees Creek you need to cross the creek 3 times and you will get your hiking shoes wet so take off and go barefoot or bring some water shoes! Trail was marked really well but I’m going to promote paying for the pro version again so you can see yourself moving on the trail, clock your mileage and keep on track! We even saw a tortoise. Take plenty of water - we have about 70-80 oz each!

Great hike! Highly recommend. There are several water crossings. Consider this when picking footwear. I did this counterclockwise, the opposite of what the app suggests. I'm not sure that way was better, but I did get the most strenuous inclines over with first... but there were plenty more later as well. The trail has several good waterfalls and cascades. If you have two cars, I would suggest parking them a different spots along Beaver Bend Road. One by the new bridge, the other by the place with the kayak rentals. It will save you the roughly mile-and-a-half you have to walk along the road--which is the dullest part of the hike.

Whew! What an awesome hike! We started from the new bridge by the river, so did it in reverse. It started out with several inclines, but leveled off when your calves were screaming. Most of the trail is along the creek, which you cross back and forth several times. Very pretty trail visually and audibly with little rapids and water falls. We parked in the new parking lot by the river. Some areas were overgrown, but not bad. Our 2 little badass terrier/yorkie/chihuahua mixes did awesome! Only had to carry them the last stretch due to the black pavement being too hot. The worst part was walking along the road back to the car, in the sun after hiking over 8 miles. ****If you start it the way we did, the starting point is to the left of the bridge, if you’re looking at the rapids in the river. *** Looking forward to hiking it again!

In all my years of hiking I’ve never had such an eventful hike. Let me start by saying do not park where all trails map shows. Park a quarter mile further down at the new bridge where the big parking lot is. This trail has many steep inclines and declines. If it is slippery it is especially dangerous. The trail is very narrow and on the very edge of the cliff in many areas. I would not recommend for a beginner or for small children that are not experienced hikers. The trail is very well marked in all areas. The entire way. Follow the red hiker til you get to the cedar bluff trail then it turns to blue markers. Now the powerlines: about 2 minutes before we got to the powerlines we met a family that was hiking with a saw and a weed eater. They were tired of the brush so they mowed it completely down to the ground. Now is the best time to hike this trail with the brush gone. Without them mowing that down minutes before I don’t know that I would have gone on through the brush. The trail is very beautiful and scenic all the way around. It has just rained and rained on us during the hike so the creeks were all flowing prettily. That also caused many water crossings. Wear waterproof boots and they still may get wet if you step in too deep. Be very careful if it has recently rained the steep slopes are very slippery. This is by far the most amazing, beautiful, and challenging hike in Beavers Bend. I highly recommend it to adventurous and in shape hikers, but still go slow, watch your step, and be careful.

private property

This was a tough hike! Tons of elevation changes and paths were narrow & rocky (easy way to twist an ankle). This would have 5 stars except there were parts of the trail that were not clearly marked making it easy to go off trail.

I’ll give it four stars because it is posted as being a hard hike, which it is!! We had a group of kids all the way up to adults, and we were expecting it to be a 2 1/2 hour hike, and it took seven hours, including breaks. The problem is, we were following somebody who didn’t know how far the trail was, and by the time we got halfway, we figured we might as well just do the whole thing, and some of us thought we were going to die. The main reason why it was miserable, is because we brought no lunch, and not nearly enough water, so we were unprepared. Also, the hike is not worth the meager views. The only nice view is the less-than-a-mike to Cedar Bluff, after that it’s just a lot of hiking through the woods which can be enjoyable, but this one was too far, and too much climbing, for no decent views. In the past, I have enjoyed hikes like this, when I knew what I was signing up for. So beware!

A few recommendations and notes. 1. This trail is actually 10 miles, not 8.6 as specified. 2. If following the route, the first 1.5 miles are completely on the road. If you want to avoid this, you can drop off your group at the Bluff trail head, which also has parking. However, if you park there, you will need to get back to the car. 3. If you do the hike in reverse, you will have a little bit more of a downhill experience as opposed to more of an incline. I would still recommend following the route as per the map, which I feel gives the best flow on the trail.

Tough hike, and not for the faint of heart! Gorgeous lookouts and streams along the way. My boyfriend and I did this trail backwards, being in moderate hiking shape, and we made it through, but it took some mental toughness, no doubt! The ups and down are brutal, but it was a fun challenge and we would do it again, just maybe in better shape . It took us 5/12 hours, with plenty of breaks for photos and a 15 minute lunch. We were dog tired by the end of it, slightly dehydrated and cussing ourselves a little, but glad we did it.

Very difficult, but a great hike! Trail is very well marked, but is over 10 miles long (not 8.6 like the app suggests). The trail ends approximately 1 1/2 miles away from your vehicle, so the last part of the hike is on the road.

Best that Broken Bow has to offer - the first few miles have multiple scenic overlooks (a few are obstructed by trees) and the trail has a lot of variety. It is definitely for more advanced hikers - there are a lot of elevation changes and the trail is at times uneven/rocky. Watch out for Poison Ivy - in some places, it’s growing out into the trail. We did the trail backwards (ending on the road) which we enjoyed - it makes the end of the hike relaxed, flat and easy! Took our group (young, decent hikers) about 4 hours with one break for lunch.

This is a great trail. People that complain about it being up and down are pussies. 8 years ago did 3 miles out and three miles back. I was a youngster of 66. My wife 60. It’s fairly brutal. 8 years later and I’m 74. On a whim we did a mile out and a mile back. Still brutal. Still a great experience. We’re coming back for more when we’re in better shape. A mile out you’re the only ones out there. It weeds em out pretty quickly.

While it is a fairly difficult hike, it’s incredibly rewarding at both the beginning and the end!

private property

Did this trail 3 weeks prior to this trip. Took the boys this time and we all had a great time. Views were great and the hike by the water couldn’t have been better. Still tough, be prepared. Power lines and cabins are unsightly.

Mostly up and down, beautiful in spots, Skyline is a fun day hike that I camped overnight. Lady at visitors center said to park at Dogwood and go clockwise starting at Cedar Bluff. Hammock is the way to go here, only good tent spot is at Bee Creek (where there is a cool hidden waterfall), although there are a couple other flat spots along the trail that would work if you wanted to clear out some rocks and branches. I set up my tarp for the night at the Silvey creek crossing, close to Silvey Falls. Plenty of water end of March, no need to carry a bunch. Marked well with red blazes or paint spots, until the power lines and private property area, where from then on any kind of trail marker was inexplicably nonexistent. Another map here http://beaversbendblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/story-of-skyline-trail.html?m=1

private property

Don’t do this trail unless you’re in great shape. My wife and I exercise and hike regularly and this trail was tough for us. We’ve done The Eagle Rock Loop and this trail is similar to the mountain section of the ERL. We started across the new bridge and went clockwise. We did the 1.5 mile road walk first. Going this way, it’s not marked well towards the end near the power lines, where you cross underneath them. Some parts of the trail are nice, with great views, while others are noisy (the little camp train and people), and why I didn’t give 5 stars. Overall, it’s a good trail to use for preparation of The Eagle Rock Loop. We would do it again.

bridge out
closed
fee
flooded
icy
private property

Nutsacks got stuck and are now tangled with another hikers nutsacks never coming back again.