Skyline Trail

Skyline Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Broken Bow, Oklahoma that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1929 feet

paddle sports

bridge out

Good trail. Pretty easy and some of the best scenery in the state!

Took us about 4 hours to do the entire skyline trail plus the walk back along the highway. I am 16 years old and in great shape and I had no trouble on this trail. Very fun trail.

It’s a great trail but I only recommend it to those that have experience hiking.

Short Trail Recon

Since the bridge is still washed out the best place to park is down off Spillway Road before you cross the Spillway. Then choose whether you want to hike along the road first or last. If you want to start at the Spillway look for the pink ribbons that follow the Spillway creek before turning right and there is a sign that takes you to the right. Most of the trail is well marked, but had a little trouble finding my way past the first power line. Overall pretty tough with lots of ups and downs but more the distance than the climbs. Took about 5 hours.

This is the hardest trail I have hiked but well worth it. It is definitely not a trail for a casual day hiker. There are some steep changes in elevation for about 3 miles of the trail. The views were spectacular in several locations plus hiking in early November was peak viewing for the changing foliage.

1. We parked at the washed out bridge and walked back to the trailhead across from the Dogwood Campgrounds. I was so thankful the vehicle was waiting for us at the end of the trail rather than having to walk an extra mile back to the trailhead.
2. A trekking pole is a must
3. If you like to stop to take photos or breaks, plan on an 8-9 hr hike.
4. Take plenty of water and high energy snacks. I drank 96 ounces of water.
5. The trail was adequately marked EXCEPT at Bee Creek. Many people climbed a steep hill and wandered aimlessly in the woods wasting precious time and energy -we were some of those people. The trail actually continues across the creek. This was confusing because you cross the creek and continue walking along the bank until it becomes impassable. At that point cross the creek back to the side you started on and walk along the bank until it is impassable. Cross back to the side opposite from your arrival where the hardest 3 miles of the trail begins. To reiterate- there are 3 water crossings at Bee Creek - across - back - and across.
6. There were several creek crossing between Bee Creek and the washed out bridge. Several of these creeks would go over the top of your hiking boots but all could be done by stepping on rocks. Beware the rocks are very slick. The rocks may not be above water level during the spring rainy season. Take extra socks in case you slip off a rock and get your feet wet.

We did not cross the creek at the washed out bridge so I am unsure what that 2-3 mile portion of trail is like.

I am a 51 year old woman that walks 20,000 steps a day. The Skyline Trail was pretty much my max in distance and elevation changes.

1. Check in at the Forest Heritage Center for a map
2. The head of the trail is labeled as David Boren/Cedar Bluff not Skyline, across from the dogwood campground
3. You should park at the washed out bridge construction zone and walk up to the trail head so your car is waiting for you at the end, otherwise you have to walk down the road at the end of a VERY long hike
4. I jog 2-3 miles a day and this trail was still difficult (brutal). Very very steep hills. Took 7 hours with very minimal stopping
5. Take at least 3liters of water per person and snacks
6. The trail is 90% shaded so fair skinned folks don't need to excessively coat themselves in sunscreen
7. Lots of spiders and spiderwebs
8. Take your phone for gps. A couple spots it's easy to get lost. Trail markers are anything from pink ribbon, metal tags on trees to cut up logs.

Be ready to climb several mountains very difficult hike

Fantastic trail. Lots of steep ups and downs.

Great views.....steep climbs. Trekking poles are a must! Bring plenty of water and plan to make a full day of this trail. This app saved us many times from getting lost. The trail is marked fairly well and there are a few areas you have to walk through high grass and cross several streams. Great hike

please be prepared. We had a camel back with 70 oz of water with a 20 oz bottle and a 16.9 oz bottle between myself and my wife. it wasn't enough. normally I wouldn't need near that amount bit for some reason this trail I needed more. also. check in with the rangers and let them know your going to be on that trail. and let them know when your down.

great trail though

Pretty fun hike that keeps you climbing up and down for most of the trail. Most of the trail is marked; however there seems to be a few places where the previous flood damage has not been repaired or updated to clearly direct you on the trail. This hike will take you 10-11.5 miles to complete the full trail loop (depending on where you park your car or where you camp). For experienced hikers this trail should take you about 5-6 hours and our dog loved it! Bring plenty of water with you!

Awesome trail!!!
We started from dogwood campground and back at the broken bridge where road starts again and back to dogwood campground. total miles = 10. very steep at some points but definitely worth it

This is an excellent trail. The only important thing to point out is that the parking lot/trailhead listed here is not on the same side of the river as the trail and there is no longer a bridge. As previous posters did, I had to hike downstream to find a safe place to wade across both starting and coming back to my car. I would recommend to instead park at the dead end of the road that used to be the bridge. This is the road that you use to get back from the end of the trail and constitutes the final stretch (the smooth curvy part) on the hike outlined here.

The bridge to the skyline trail is out, we crossed the river just down from where it should have been, a little cold but with trekking poles I felt safe even with my 35 lb overnight bag. Plentiful water sources if you bring a filter, like we did, you won't need too carry much. You could handle the loop with a light pack but of you plan on staying the night there's only 1-2 spots near available. Stayed in a small clearing near Sylvie Falls with a small fire ring and saw another great spot a few miles past that. If you hammock camp the rocks won't be an issue but that's the main issue when looking for a campsite. Well marked, I'd rate it as moderate myself.

The bridge to the skyline trail is out! The only way to get to the trail head is by driving across the spillway or wadding across the river.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Great hike. My husband, myself and our 2 older labs did the whole trail over the weekend. There were very few people on the trail that day. No switch backs. Nice elevation changes. Trail was well marked for the most part. Had to cross a few streams. Be sure to bring plenty of water and snacks. We walked to the trail head from our camp and then had to walk back when we were finished. My pedometer said we did a total of 16.3 miles in about 5.5 hours. The dogs definitely slowed us down. We are already planning on coming back to do this hike again before it gets too hot.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

In a state where so many trails are poorly marked and difficult to follow, this one is a pleasant surprise.
There's a variety of terrain, environments, and views along this thorough day hike. The trail itself is well-maintained and relatively smooth, so you don't have to constantly look down for fear of twisting an ankle.
There's plenty of creeks, waterfalls, and clear pools if you want to refresh yourself along the 7 to 9 miles of trail, and be ready for steep elevation change with no sign of a switchback.
I loved this hike and would come back again. However, it pays to plan ahead. If you don't arrange for a ride and hike the entire length, you'll be adding an extra mile or two when you walk along the road back to the trailhead where you parked your vehicle.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

this trail is definitely one of the hardest I've hiked. make sure you carb up before heading out and bring PLENTY of water! that being said, it was so awesome. The views, the river we walked along for a while, and the people (dogs) we met along the way made it all worthwhile!