Rough Mountain via Ouachita Trail is a 8.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Muse, Oklahoma that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length8.5 miElevation gain2,011 ftRoute typeOut & back
Photos (155)
Activities (57)
Completed (94)
Chris Kerr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 3, 2021
Hiking

it was a nice trail well marked. little tight in some areas but over all a good trail.

View Chris's activity
Chris Hall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 2, 2021
Fishing

Very intense... wheeeeew

View Chris's activity
Jeffrey Baum
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 21, 2021
CampingGreat!Rocky

Just hiked this with my two sons who are 12 and 9 and things went great. We spent the night in the Winding Stair shelter which is clean and new. The recent prescribed burn really made the trail nice and it is obviously no longer overgrown. The switchbacks were challenging but not too difficult for young kids with packs. A little difficult to find water, but we found clean water twice.

Gabe Swiatkiewicz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 11, 2021
Backpacking
View Gabe's activity
Ashley Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 8, 2021
HikingGreat!

The trail is out and back over 2 mountains. The first mountain is the most challenging but worth it! The best viewpoint is atop rough mountain a little ways past the shelter the decent has a ton of fun switchbacks. My husband, dog and I completed the trail in approx 4hours.

J.A. Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 8, 2021
Hiking

Loved the switchbacks which got my heart pumping. Other parts of the trail were not very challenging tbh

Brice Gibbs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 22, 2021
HikingGreat!MuddyRocky

TIGHT! TIGHT! TIGHT! That's what this trail is brother! My buddy Gabe and I are all about it! It has everything! White ribbon! Blue paint! Rocky terrain! Uphill both ways! Do you like switchbacks?! WELL DO YOU?! Good! You've come to the right place! How does 72 of them sound! Thats not a question! That's how many YOU GET!! This trail also offers plenty of elevation, plenty of isolation, and two primitive campsites for plenty of fornication! As I said before, IT HAS EVERYTHING!! If you wish, you may elect to view my recording for those most important said destination points, or you may elect to not even think about the prospect of embarking on a decision of such magnitude and JUST DO IT anyway! Alright, alright, enough said already. Good things. Mazel.

View Brice's activity
Stephen Pederson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 21, 2020
Hiking

Love the elevation and tree canopy on the ridge

View Stephen's activity
Paul Sweet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 12, 2020
HikingGreat!

This is a beautiful, well-marked and maintained section of the Ouachita National Recreation Trail. The ascents and descents are a great workout without being brutal. The south side of Winding Stair Mountain is most strenuous; 32 switchbacks that never seem to end. There’s no water until ~5 miles in at Red Spring so plan accordingly. The views were excellent during my visit (in December).

View Paul's activity
Rovshen Nazarov
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 20, 2020
View Rovshen's activity
Chad Carpenter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 11, 2020
View Chad's activity
Sherry Thoeny
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 1, 2020
View Sherry's activity
Ashley O
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 30, 2020
Hiking

It took us 1 hour to go up the mountain to the shelter and 30 minutes to go down. Our dog is old so we went slow. It's 1.2 miles to the shelter based on this app. It's a really nice shelter for backpackers to sleep off the ground. It also has a fire ring and picnic table. Giving it 4 stars because the trees are too thick and tall to see a view at the top.

View Ashley 's activity
Jonathan Fullwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 17, 2020
Hiking

Hard! Pretty vertical and very rocky! Mind you, it was hard because we had to carry our 2 year old the whole way!! But it was enjoyable!

View Jonathan's activity
Rovshen Nazarov
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 4, 2020
Hiking

slight overgrown at the beginning, but great hike overall!

View Rovshen's activity
Mike Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 15, 2020
Hiking

Was a difficult trail with lots of climbs, did come upon a large black bear that ran away from us about 1/4 mile West of the Winding Stair shelter near Billy peak.

View Mike's activity
Holly Han
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
Hiking

Mostly shaded, but still hot in summer, would recommend do it early in the day. Did it on a Sunday morning in August, nobody on the trail at all. Some overgrown wild flowers, but that is also where you get the best view.

View Holly's activity
SAMANTHA Jackman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 3, 2020
HikingOver grownRocky

This trail is well shaded but is pretty overgrown atm. (August 1st) I was able to push through most of the over growth but had to turn around just after the first peak after I ran into essentially a wall of wild flowers with lots of stingy things. I did chuckle the whole way back down because I was thwarted by a wall of flowers. The ivy is alive and well. I took my dog with me and made sure to wipe him and the leash down afterwards. Pants are a must.

Dustin Jaggers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

Good hiking, with 3 good ups and downs. Good as a training hike. Like most hikes in Oklahoma, it would be better in early spring or fall so you could see the views better.

Ken Bell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

Overall a good hike on June 13. Hot day but ample shade for at least 80% of the distance. Only one view about 2 miles in. The rest is a nice forest hike. There was a good bit of overgrowth for 30% of the hike and then it opened up under the trees. Biggest complication was the poison ivy, which was everywhere. We were prepared with long pants and socks so that didn’t affect us. But even with long pants and lots of bug repellent, I managed to get a couple of ticks. We passed a couple of guys hiking in shorts and no socks...wouldn’t want to be them later! Be careful out there.

Daniel Reches
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 24, 2020
Camping

Did it today-- it's a great hike. two ups, two downs, turn around, two ups, two downs. great trees. only one view...but what a view! A lot of poison ivy. Keep that in mind.

Steve Sorensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 29, 2020
HikingRocky
View Steve's activity
Ryan Hall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 27, 2019
Hiking

Our family' 1st hike in Oklahoma. Great views across the Valley unique habitat on top of mountain. Cool day, perfect for hiking. Good uphill climb in beginning with eady easy switchbacks on the other side.

View Ryan's activity
Jim Baker
Hiking

Started the trail from Winding Stair Campground. Hiked to Rough Mountain (2nd peak height on the trail) then returned to the campground. Nice views between the Winding Stair Shelter and the downhill switchbacks. Overall nice trail.

View Jim's activity
Heather Love
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 29, 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

My husband and I drove four hours from north Texas to hike this trail. I am preparing to hike a much larger mountain and this was the closest one that had a 2k elevation. That being said, we found the trail easily. We began our hike. It hasn’t rained in some time, but the initial incline was very rocky and slippery even with good boots on. The rocks were quite loose and we had to be careful of our footing. There were about two areas we passed that were overgrown (about knee high), which we pushed through until we reached the third overgrown area. It was not passable without possibly running into unseen snakes, spiders, tics, etc. I’m a bit more adventurous than my husband, but we both refused to go on. We were about 45 minutes into the hike and didn’t feel we had put much of a dent into our hike. We were deflated that we needed to turn around. I’ve lived in the Pacific Northwest and the Appalachian region of Tennessee so have done much hiking. This was possibly the worst maintained trail I’ve been on especially given the reviews. We expected to be able to do some moderately strenuous hiking without putting ourselves in danger. It appears the brush has not been cleared in several seasons and was chest high. I’m 5’9”. I’m giving it two stars because I believe it has potential.