Rough Horsetail Nature Trail

Rough Horsetail Nature Trail is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hinton, Oklahoma that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.6 miles Elevation Gain: 22 feet Route Type: Loop

rock climbing

A very fun place to hike and camp, also provides designated repelling areas. Bring cloths that can get dirty for the red rocks do tend to stain cloths. There are multiple loop routes to choose from so you can hike it multiple times and choose different routes each time. The trail is very scenic and varied in its short distance. A number of short climbs and some areas that can be wet.

My family loved this trail! It is a short trail but packed with beauty. There are several mini bridges and a side trail to a pond. It says moderate risk but my family was able to get thru fairly easily. There was some incline.

June 10, 2019: Nice walking path. A little muddy. A coupe side trails to small lakes.

Hike

a little washed out from the storms but a lot of small wildlife and a waterfall and some nice forest views.

Great trail!! Definitely will be going back and want to camp out!

Hike this today with my husband and dog. Nice shady trail along a creek surrounded by horsetails. Trail ended at the top of a canyon with a nice view. Some spots were muddy and a few steep areas. Overall it was good quick loop.

Hiked today with my husband and dog and it was an amazing day. While there were people in the camping areas we didn’t see any other people u til we arrived at the end. The trail was dry and a little overgrown in some areas. The owners must have been listening to reviews because most of it was well marked. We began in the center of the California Trail and followed the outer edge of the park as we planned to do the entire Canyon Rim as well. We missed a turn and decided not to backtrack- so we only covered part of it. Most of it was clearly marked but the foot trails were easy to distinguish. There were steep climbs and some overgrown brush but no complaints here.It was an awesome day and only wished we could have stuck with our original plan.

Absolutely unexpectedly amazing. Follow all the trails and don’t miss any of it. There were some steep steps. Not good for the elderly.

Nice short trail with interpretive signs in wetland area. Great fall color.

Perfect distance and skill level for my 3 kiddos, ages 5-7

Friday, April 20, 2018

Beautiful trail, information stands and mostly well maintained. Too many stairs.

Friday, October 13, 2017

there is no trail map of ailable. Most of the trails are closed. The one the park endorses is absolutely full of sand spurs. Do not bring your dog, as they cannot walk a single step without getting one !!! it is apparent, as you step out of the parking lot. there should be signage here .... had I not brought my dogs, could have been enjoyable walk. Really disappointed in this park, as it is full of people, and could be better maintained.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

trail closed as of oct 7 2017

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

We really enjoyed this trail a year ago. If it opens up again, it's worth going. There was just one washed out swampy section in the middle, but we could get through it fine in a dry season. I heard an unfortunate rumor that the park may be closing all together though.

Monday, October 09, 2017

Trail is currently closed. seems like it will be closed for awhile since there are some heavy equipment blocking the path

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Very short, but easy trail. Beautiful views.

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Very short trail but beautiful. The trail was easy to follow. Also make sure to bring plenty of water.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Hiked this trail yesterday. First time at the park was last Fall and it was nice to see it in Spring.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Very easy...

Monday, June 27, 2016

I enjoyed it a lot, short with a few climbs and easy to follow. Well maintained

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Trail was nice until my daughter was two feet away from stepping on a 4' plus gigantic copperhead snake. Thank God I saw it laying across the path!!! Never have I seen a snake so large outside of the zoo!!

Thursday, June 09, 2016

nice terrain for a change

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Great short trail to do with a toddler. Lots of little bridges, streams, hills, and stairs to climb over. Waterhole, trees to climb on, side trails if you're feeling adventurous. Took me and my 3 year old a little over an hour to walk this trail. We took our time and explored.

Monday, February 29, 2016

A fun hike, and a good opportunity to gain some sweat equity for your appendages. Yes, the rocks really are red.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Nice short hike. Interesting vegetation. Nice stream....

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Well maintained nature walk. It's a good warm up walk for the rest of the trails in Red Rock Canyon State Park.

Thursday, November 05, 2015

We did this walk with several toddlers & babies. They did great, the canyon walls kept the wind off us and nice and warm.

Monday, March 30, 2015

A nice unique trail with varied scenery. Definitely a must when at the park.