Rough Horsetail Nature Trail

Rough Horsetail Nature Trail is a 0.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hinton, Oklahoma that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

A very fun place to hike and camp, also provides designated repelling areas. Bring cloths that can get dirty for the red rocks do tend to stain cloths. There are multiple loop routes to choose from so you can hike it multiple times and choose different routes each time. The trail is very scenic and varied in its short distance. A number of short climbs and some areas that can be wet.

there is no trail map of ailable. Most of the trails are closed. The one the park endorses is absolutely full of sand spurs. Do not bring your dog, as they cannot walk a single step without getting one !!! it is apparent, as you step out of the parking lot. there should be signage here ....
had I not brought my dogs, could have been enjoyable walk. Really disappointed in this park, as it is full of people, and could be better maintained.

trail closed as of oct 7 2017

We really enjoyed this trail a year ago. If it opens up again, it's worth going. There was just one washed out swampy section in the middle, but we could get through it fine in a dry season. I heard an unfortunate rumor that the park may be closing all together though.

Trail is currently closed. seems like it will be closed for awhile since there are some heavy equipment blocking the path

Very short, but easy trail. Beautiful views.

Very short trail but beautiful. The trail was easy to follow. Also make sure to bring plenty of water.

Hiked this trail yesterday. First time at the park was last Fall and it was nice to see it in Spring.

Very easy...

Monday, June 27, 2016

I enjoyed it a lot, short with a few climbs and easy to follow. Well maintained

Sunday, June 26, 2016

Trail was nice until my daughter was two feet away from stepping on a 4' plus gigantic copperhead snake. Thank God I saw it laying across the path!!! Never have I seen a snake so large outside of the zoo!!

Thursday, June 09, 2016

nice terrain for a change

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Great short trail to do with a toddler. Lots of little bridges, streams, hills, and stairs to climb over. Waterhole, trees to climb on, side trails if you're feeling adventurous.
Took me and my 3 year old a little over an hour to walk this trail. We took our time and explored.

Monday, February 29, 2016

A fun hike, and a good opportunity to gain some sweat equity for your appendages. Yes, the rocks really are red.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Nice short hike. Interesting vegetation. Nice stream....

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Well maintained nature walk. It's a good warm up walk for the rest of the trails in Red Rock Canyon State Park.

Thursday, November 05, 2015

We did this walk with several toddlers & babies. They did great, the canyon walls kept the wind off us and nice and warm.

Monday, March 30, 2015

A nice unique trail with varied scenery. Definitely a must when at the park.

Thursday, December 25, 2014

A fun hiking trail for intermediate level. Make sure you bring plenty of water in the summer. It gets warm down in the canyon. The trail is easy to find as it winds the canyon rim, but finding a way down is another thing. There are multiple places to descend safely...but they are easily mistaken for other more dangerous routes.

Overall an easy trail even for kids or less experienced hikers. And it's close to OKC (45 minutes). A good hike when it's cold and windy because the canyon walls keep the wind at bay.

Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Nice trails. Not too hard at all. For the civilized the bathrooms are near. I walked the Horsetrail and California. Both are very easy and it would be a real challenge to get lost. Lots of wildlife and plants. If the dogs stay on the trail there are no issues but if they stray the stickers and cactus await.
I wasn't looking for a huge challenge I just wanted to enjoy and it's close.

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Nice little trail. I went early in the morning about a week after an ice storm in December. There was hardly anyone on the park. Nicely marked trail with little rickety bridges over the stream. There's a spot near the plunge pool where you can go up on top of the canyon and its all beautiful red sandstones, this was my favorite part.