Red Bud Valley Oxley Nature Trail

Red Bud Valley Oxley Nature Trail is a 1.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Catoosa, Oklahoma that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

cave

The trail begins at the parking lot and goes west up the steep slope. From the top of the rock outcrop, the trail winds through a stunted woodland of Post Oak, Blackjack Oak and scattered Texas Hickory. Soon you will notice scattered Prickly Pear Cactus in the clearings. There is Fragrant Sumac throughout this area, and a few small trees of Chittamwood, or Gum Bumelia. The trail forks at which point you may decide whether you want to choose the Prairie Fork or the Woodland Fork. Either trail will lead you to the same spot. The Woodland Fork winds through a forested area, while the Prairie Fork will take you through a section where the soil is so thin that few trees grow. Here you will find much more cactus and many grasses and flowers typical of a dry prairie habitat. Eventually the two forks rejoin at the top of The Ravine. This break in the cliff allows the trail to drop down to the base of the cliff face. The environment here is radically different from the uplands, being cooler and much more moist. Notice that several types of fern grow on the limestone rocks. In spring you may find Columbine growing here. Turn right at the base of the Ravine. Not far is a good size cave, and after that, an active spring emerges from the base of the cliff and feeds the ponds below. If the weather has been dry, the spring may produce barely a trickle, but after a good rain, the spring will run with surprising force. Look for Sugar maples which are common in this area. You will pass several more small caves before the trail begins to drop down the hillside to the bottom of the slope. Just past the bottom of the hill the Bluff Trail begins, an alternate and rugged route back to near the parking lot, following the limestone ridge. Climbing up above the bluff and taking "shortcuts" down the hillside kills rare plants and causes erosion. From the bottom of the hill, the main trail wanders through the flood-plain of Bird Creek, in a habitat much more typical of northeastern Oklahoma. Still, the hillside to the south has unusual plants, especially Dutchman's Breeches, which can proliferate in early spring. The trail winds around large limestone blocks which have slipped to the bottom of the hill. One of these is now surrounded by trees and large grape vines. (This section can be very muddy in wet weather.) The trail continues around the hill and returns to the parking lot.

My first visit and I think I'll be back very soon. Did the trail twice as there is a ridge cut through. It was very crowded with a lot of waiting in tight areas. The kids out numbered adults about 5 to 1. Some were yelling but most parents were trying to keep them respectful. Glad they're getting out doors. When I left there were about 20 cars for a 1.3 mile trail.

Awesome! Kid friendly! Tons of climbing with the rocks. It says no dogs and that is for good reason. No fun carrying a dog over and around boulders. Clean bathrooms available. Nature preserve building/ welcome center. Picnic area. Perfect afternoon!

Very beautiful area. Very quiet. A nice escape from the city... It's a shame I can't bring my dogs, but I understand the reasoning.

Took our young son for a hike here to get him used to trails and his pack. I LOVED this little trail! It has gorgeous scenery, a small stream, boulders and a little bit of "rugged" terrain. Perfect way to spend an afternoon close to the house! Only disappointment is no dogs :-/

this Trail is outside hiking in the woods and they do not allow dogs that is ridiculous I give this place a one-star is my dog my PTSD dog goes everywhere with me and they do not allow dogs I went there today for the first time and I turn around and left whenever I seen no dogs I will never go back to this place and I give it a one-star this is ridiculous and maybe they need to be sued for not allowing dogs outside.

This is a great trail for a young child! I would say 4+! We had a wonderful time.

Fun trail with great rocks however wish it went for a few more miles.

We brought the kids to Red Bud today and everyone absolutely loved it! It's a great mix of terrain but nothing too difficult. We are not the most experienced hikers but this trail provided a "real" hiking experience without being to intense for the kids!

This is a great hike to see different rock outcropping and bluffs. Really unique to the area. Be aware that it closes at 5:00 pm. No dogs allowed. We enjoy taking visitors to see this lovely place and there is a picnic table at the entrance to bring lunch.

Nice evening hike.

Nice trail.

Beautiful area! The only downfall is that the gates close at 5:00pm.

Such a good trail!!!! And there's no car sounds since it's so hard to fine

awesome hike!! my little ones loved it

Love this place! The bluffs are my favorite.

Loved this short hike. The place is definitely a hidden gem. Hiked this with my 3 year old in early December and he really enjoyed it as well. First part of the trail goes through woods, there's some open fields as well. Second half goes through rocks and caves. This was my son's favorite part.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Lots of wildlife to view on the trail. I like to bike in this area to avoid vehicles. It is not located in the best part of town so be aware especially if alone.

Monday, November 14, 2016

Short hike for the family. They have some caves and rocks,so wear good shoes and maybe walking stick. Also they have odd times they are open so might check when they are open before you go. We saw some dear on the boardwalk. They also have bathrooms and picnic table.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Nice little hike, but some trails I would say are not suitable for all.

Thursday, September 22, 2016

Very quiet. I would usually walk before noon and there were only a few others there, and you never really saw them aside from in the parking lot. Great views and many trails.