Oklahoma High Point - Black Mesa

Oklahoma High Point - Black Mesa is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kenton, Oklahoma that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

This trail winds through the Black Mesa Nature Preserve in the far reaches of the Oklahoma panhandle. It ends at Oklahoma's high point, at 4,973 feet above sea level. There are great views of the mesas along the way.

Hiked last week and great views. Very enjoyable !

Trail is a 4.2 mile out and back (totaling 8.4 miles). Property is owned by the Nature Conservancy and managed by OK Tourism. Aside from the ~1.5 mile ascent and descent, the hike is easy. Plan some time at the top to explore off trail. The NM/OK state line is only 1/4 mile west of the market at the top of the Mesa. Views from there are beautiful.

Completed the hike in 3 hours 45 minutes. No shade on the trail which makes this a very hot hike. After completing a short series of switchbacks, the hike to the monument is much like the approach before the switchbacks. Would not recommend this hike. Views are not very good for the length and lack of shade.

The ending is anticlimactic.

If you are looking a picturesque hike like you might find in the rockies, this is not it, but it does have its charm. Worth going if it is convenient on your travels even if you don't have any interest in bagging a state highpoint. The end of the hike is a little anti-climactic as you can see taller things in the near distance in other states and is functionally a slightly higher spot in a very flat mesa/field, however the midpoint of the hike up the mesa wall offers a gorgeous vista of the other small mesas in the area. For us, this was a perfect spot to camp to break up a trip to Taos and get a little exercise.

GPS said 8.4 miles, 755 feet elevation gain, and 3 hours 7 minutes. Weather was great. The hike up the mesa left us briefly winded but overall is a pretty easy hike (if you're a hiker this is an easy trail - do keep in mind that this is 3-4.5 hours of moderate exercise - decide for yourself if you are up for that).

Random note - take a picture at the top of the hike and bring it to the 93 year old gentlemen at the museum in Kenton (along the highway, there is a sign) and he will give you a certificate of achievement!

If you're looking at my map, my gps got confused and lost us for a second and then picked back up closer to the trail head. We came back the exact same way as we came in. So no, we did not cut through the prairie on the way back like my map says. Don't do that! Stick to the trail. The hike was absolutely gorgeous and fairly easy except for mile 2 to mile 3. The incline starts at mile 2 and gets pretty strenuous. But the miles before and after that are very flat. To those of you coming from within Oklahoma from the east, make sure you stop in Boise City for gas/food if you need it! There is nothing past that! I would definitely recommend this hike if you are a history buff and hiker like myself. We are 6 hours away but we came on Friday and camped in the park until our hike on Sunday. Definitely worth it!

Completed this the day after Christmas. The trail is very well marked. Most of the hike was easy except for about a half mile stretch after mile 2 where you start the incline. The views during the incline were my favorite part.

I would definitely recommend this trail if you have never been before. It was a 5 hour drive for me though, I would not make the drive again just for the hike.

Went up on New Years Day with a buddy. My first hike. was flat for the first 2 miles, pretty steep incline up for the next mile, then flat the last mile. amazing view from the top.

I did this almost 15 years ago and for being really young (10) it was quite difficult. Today I don't think it would be very hard. The trail is quite long and the climb to the top of the mesa was somewhat hard. The views were good and the satisfaction of being at the highest point in the state was great too. Watch out for cactus!