New Horizon Trail is a 0.8 kilometer lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lone Wolf, Oklahoma and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.8 km Elevation Gain: 113 m Route Type: Out & Back

Built in 1975 by the YCC, a group of high school students, the climb is a display of the stark beauty of Southwestern Oklahoma. On top, the view of Lake Altus-Lugert is stunning.

I last hiked this June 1, 2019. This hike is easy in the Winter when the underbrush has died and you can choose your own adventure on the way up. (I do recommend the established trail for the descent regardless of the season.) In the Summer, the trail is harder to find and the route disappears at points. Definitely recommend trekking poles in warm weather to rustle grass and prevent an unwanted experience with a rattlesnake. The tall grass on the peaks in Spring/Summer make the scenic view points harder to access. I very much prefer this hike in the Fall. It’s a family favorite come November. My kids have been doing the scrambles here since they were 4 and 7. (My husband and I hike often-some families may feel much more hesitant to bring little ones along.)

Sun May 26 2019

we didn't find the actual trail,but still climbed up. amazing view

Sun May 19 2019

It has beautiful views and according to All Trails, it’s “easy”. To the average person, this is not an easy trail. It may be only 1/2 a mile, but it’s extremely steep and kinda scary at some parts. I would not recommend bringing kids on this trail.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Short hike, very rugged. Trail is mostly rocks and boulders. Best time to hike is during cool weather.

Sat Aug 04 2018

Not meant to hike during temperatures of 95 degrees and up. But it’s a beautiful view during the entire hike up!

Sun Feb 18 2018

Great little hike not much of a trail to follow mostly just climbing and jumping from boulder to boulder.

rock climbing
Sun Jun 04 2017

Climbing the boulders didn't look too hard until you get up half way haha. Challenging but the view from the top made it worth it. We went in May 2017 while visiting our daughter in OK. Great time and awesome view

Fri Mar 24 2017

Great mountains in OK! Worth the drive. We only went on the new horizon trail but looked like there were many trails available there, like previous comments said its not really marked that well but here that is okay! Wichita mountains were a disappointment to us with trails leading us to no where. But the views here are great. Perfect amount of challenge but still easy enough for the whole family.... We will be back!

Tue Dec 06 2016

Absolutely beautiful and a thrill seeking climb!

Sat Nov 26 2016

As stated in the previous reviews, once into the trail there are no markers that I noticed. It really does not matter. Find your own path. It makes the hike more interesting. It is a nice, short route. I enjoyed the views at the top. Trailhead is marked well with good parking. The park is very nice. Recommend the lake view rooms at the lodge. Enjoy.

Sat Nov 26 2016

Very fun little hike, especially if you only have a couple hours. Virtually no trail markings, other than trafficked paths. Leaves a lot up to the hiker, which I like. Lots of rock crawling.

Mon Nov 21 2016

Our first hike! It was good for a first one! We wish it had some sort of marker system, but we are so green to hiking that I'm sure it's a low priority.

Sun Aug 07 2016

Cool hike for an afternoon. Great views at the top. The trail was pretty much nonexistent after the first few hundred feet. We stumbled across a few short posts in the ground but any signs indicating which way you were supposed to go were long gone. Any way you get to the top you will have to climb over boulders so it can be a challenging hike for some. Didn't see any snakes but it definitely seemed like prime snake territory.

Mon Mar 16 2015

I have hiked this trail a couple of times and it is a good hike to get started on if you are new to hiking. For the most part the trail is easily followed but some parts are not well marked. Wear good shoes and take water and cell phone for emergency use. One thing to note is you will need to stay alert for snakes. There are lots of rocks for them to hide under on the trail.

recorded New Horizon Trail