Narrows Trail to Boulder Mountain

Narrows Trail to Boulder Mountain is a 1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Indiahoma, Oklahoma that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

This trail takes hikers to the top of Eagle Mountain (nickname Boulder Mountain) This hike begins on the narrows trail and then cuts off on a rock scramble to the top of Eagle Mountain. The overall gain is not very much but large rocks that must be navigated up or around are not for the faint of heart.

Great boulder scramble, not for the faint of heart. The trail is easy to follow until you get to the base of the mountain, after that point you're on your own as the path to the top is unmarked. Invest in some gaiters or your shoes and your socks will be covered in hedge parsley seeds.

I went in to the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge not expecting much. The park was quiet, clean and the staff at the visitor center was extremely friendly. The Narrows Trail or "The Narrows" as the park calls it, is a little hard to find. Angela, the nice German lady at the visitor center, pointed out exactly where to find it.

The trail begins behind a cabin, and winds its way down to the creek before boulder mountain. The creek was low enough that I could cross without getting my feet wet. I climbed up the right side of Boulder Mountain, when you cross the creek. It took about an hour and a half to get to the top. I was unfortunately not able to travel to the back of the mountain because of the tough path I took up. There's no great way to climb up the mountain.

Overall, it was an enjoyable hike and climb. Shockingly, I was the ONLY person hiking. It was nice to have the mountain to myself :).

Did this with my 2 year old...not excited about the stream crossing (with said 2 yo) but if you turn around there, it's fun for rock scrambling...

Really fun trail with great views and changing scenery. The terrain changes as you go along making for a fun hike with a little bit of challenge.

Trail? What trail? This was a very difficult climb and not much of a hike. Every once in a while you could see something that resembled a trail but it didn't last very long.

Very easy to lose the trail, but very beautiful once you get to the top! Well worth it as long as you can keeps from falling off the rocks you climb!

Very challenging, fun if you like to climb boulders.

rock climbing

Absolutely loved this trail. Make it as short or long of a trail you want. Climbing to the top was the best part. Have to get creative at point which made it awesome.

We had heard great things about this trail and couldn't wait to get hiking! we started the trail and soon came to the first over look, the water was absolutely gorgeous so ...of course we had to climb down to it. The curiosity continued as we followed the water as far back as we could before the water opened up into large pool surrounded by walls. Instead of turning around we decided to climb up and go around. as we climbed out we actually ended up on the trail and followed it to the next over look..an breath taking river with a pristine rocky beach. We decided to climb our way down to it and follow the river once again. Although we ended up not even taking the trail it was an excellent passage to the beauty that lie below. We will be back time after time to this gorgeous spot!

Be sure to have proper foot gear, sunscreen, and water before attempting this trail. It wasn't very long, but it was hot and there was very little shade. I enjoyed the challenge of having to scramble up the rocks, a first for this low country southerner!