Narrows Trail to Boulder Mountain

Narrows Trail to Boulder Mountain is a 1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Indiahoma, Oklahoma that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

rock climbing

This trail takes hikers to the top of Eagle Mountain (nickname Boulder Mountain) This hike begins on the narrows trail and then cuts off on a rock scramble to the top of Eagle Mountain. The overall gain is not very much but large rocks that must be navigated up or around are not for the faint of heart.

This was a fun hike although it seems like more of a rock climb. we were up in about 2 hours and down in 1. I should have taken the advice of the other reviewers and worn long pants cause it shredded my legs. Check for tics when you come down, we had quite a few on us. Beautiful scenery and so serene.

Lots of bouldering! Was a lot of fun though. Friends and I climbed up the side of the mountain quick enough.

Calling it a trail is a bit of a stretch, there’s definitely a trail at the very start but it quickly devolves into just finding a way up and then back down, mainly by climbing around on the boulders. Some precarious little areas depending on the route you take, which makes it even more fun. Definitely a workout and some great views along with it

This trail is beautiful. However, you should were pants. There is a lot of high grass at the beginning. It is a lot of climbing if you would like to go up on the rocks. The trail is a challenge but enjoyable. I would recommend for adults and kids 10 or older (for climbing).

Been going to wildlife refuge for years without maps and climbing on the Zoo wall area in the Narrows. Would not call this a hard trail as shown. Noticed the keyhole class 4 route is not listed. Just loaded the app so maybe will try out adding the option for the trail but it is possible to fall and have to use your hands which is why it is a class 4 route but it is not a class 5 climbing route. Will try out the app with my son this summer and see if it matches where I have hiked.

Great trail. Take the offshoot trails and climb up more moderate/difficult trails but so beautiful and worth it.

Incredible views from the top! It’s a pretty tough hike if you’re just used to trails. There are no signs but just head up the boulders and you’ll find the top. The gate to this trail head closes at sunset so don’t plan on being there too late.

Best hike of the Wichitas.

This trail was great. You don't need an actual trail once you get to the big bolders. It's incredibly fun to find your own way to the top. The same applies to to going back down the mountain. It's an amazing time, I've done it thrice and each time is completely different.

Like the description says, definitely not for the faint of heart, but very fun if you are looking for a challenge and beautiful view if you make it to the top!

we went when the water was low so we had no problem seeing everything!

My husband and I did this trail carrying our 15 month old in a pack and absolutely loved it! We did however skip the bouldering section as it was too risky with the little one. I would also highly recommend treking poles if you are carrying a little one. While the water level was low and we had no issue of crossing, I found it very helpful using the poles for extra balance throughout the trail with our daughter on my back. One thing that would make it a bit easier would be more clear signage (maybe cairns). There are several forks in the path and although we did get to our final destination just fine, having clear signs could limit damage to the habitat. We loved the views and will definitely return to this trail soon.

So if you stop at the visitor center, they can point out Narrows Trail. However, it is likely they will not point out Boulder Mountain. Leaving the Visitor Center, turn right. Once you get to the stop sign, turn right again. Head on that road until you see the sign for Lost Lake and follow that road. None of the trails are labeled. On the left side of the road, you will see Boulder Picnic Area (it was gated when we went). The sign outside will say reservation only. You can’t park there, but if you drive like .1 miles, there is an area that you can park on the side of the road. Anyways, you will see the Boulder Shelter (for us, behind the gate), and the trail starts right behind it. Everywhere I looked said different lengths for the trails. Some said about a mile round trip, up to 1.5 miles round trip. Don’t underestimate this. Only probably .2 of the trail is a trail, the rest is Boulder climbing. When you start the trail, take the first right. If it forks again, stay right. Cross over the creek. Once you get to the other side, follow the river until you see a trail breaking off to the right. After that, you will see the Boulders that you are going to climb. We didn’t see anyone else on the trail while we were up there, so it is known for solitude. Once you make your way up the boulders, you will be able to see pretty far out. You will get to see a small river, as well as land for a few miles. It was an awesome hike. Definitely wear hiking boots, long pants, and long sleeved shirts. Otherwise, you will get torn to pieces by thorn bushes. Warning: Coming back down is much harder than coming back up. Try to remember the route you took up. (We didn’t). It took us about 2 hours to complete, but we stopped a lot and enjoyed the area.

Good hike, I couldn’t have stayed on the trail if I hadn’t had the app, best trail yet

Easy to follow once you’re in. Once you get to the rocky portion HARD to follow just kinda made our own way around. Very beautiful scenery.

Some of the prettiest landscapes in the Refuge. Boulder hopping kinda hard in the knees but well worth it.

This was an amazing trail. We got there around 3 and it was beautiful. We saw a lot of wildlife including bison antelope a fox or bobcat and longhorn. We had fun navigating around the trail and rocks. The views looking down into the Narrows are amazing. We only saw one other couple hiking out so we had it to ourselves which is always cool.

Beautiful scenery, especially as you near the summit of “Boulder Mountain” (aka Eagle Mountain). But be ready for some obstacles. There’s a river that you must cross toward the first part of the hike, which will be running pretty rapidly if rain has been in the area at any recent point. We ended up taking off our hiking boots and wading across barefoot, because there was no clear path otherwise.

Once you’ve successfully crossed, you can pretty easily spot where the trail picks up just on the other side of the river. This is where the trees divide and you can begin your ascent. Shortly after you start making your way through the trees, you will come to boulders which you will eventually be forced to start hopping up. Lots of fun if you enjoy bouldering, though you will likely lose sight of the actual trail, and have to wing it most of your way.

Definitely recommend if you’re up for a new and different type of adventure. And the views from above are amazing!

This trail was great! We found it easy to maneuver through! However, I can see how it would be difficult for others! Just be prepared to climb over and hop to boulders!

Water was up so couldn't complete the last little bit. The narrows was nice but underwhelming.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Great but have plenty of time and no dog.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Great boulder scramble, not for the faint of heart. The trail is easy to follow until you get to the base of the mountain, after that point you're on your own as the path to the top is unmarked. Invest in some gaiters or your shoes and your socks will be covered in hedge parsley seeds.

Friday, April 28, 2017

I went in to the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge not expecting much. The park was quiet, clean and the staff at the visitor center was extremely friendly. The Narrows Trail or "The Narrows" as the park calls it, is a little hard to find. Angela, the nice German lady at the visitor center, pointed out exactly where to find it.

The trail begins behind a cabin, and winds its way down to the creek before boulder mountain. The creek was low enough that I could cross without getting my feet wet. I climbed up the right side of Boulder Mountain, when you cross the creek. It took about an hour and a half to get to the top. I was unfortunately not able to travel to the back of the mountain because of the tough path I took up. There's no great way to climb up the mountain.

Overall, it was an enjoyable hike and climb. Shockingly, I was the ONLY person hiking. It was nice to have the mountain to myself :).

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Did this with my 2 year old...not excited about the stream crossing (with said 2 yo) but if you turn around there, it's fun for rock scrambling...

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Really fun trail with great views and changing scenery. The terrain changes as you go along making for a fun hike with a little bit of challenge.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Trail? What trail? This was a very difficult climb and not much of a hike. Every once in a while you could see something that resembled a trail but it didn't last very long.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Very easy to lose the trail, but very beautiful once you get to the top! Well worth it as long as you can keeps from falling off the rocks you climb!

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Very challenging, fun if you like to climb boulders.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

Absolutely loved this trail. Make it as short or long of a trail you want. Climbing to the top was the best part. Have to get creative at point which made it awesome.

Sunday, February 26, 2017