Mountain Trail

Mountain Trail is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wilburton, Oklahoma that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and fishing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail is marked with a blue blazes.

We took Mountain Trail which is fairly well marked most of the way but once you pass all the bluffs and begin to descend down toward the lake it gets horribly confusing. There are tons of unmarked trail signs out there that are horse trails. Don’t use the trail maps provided by the State Park they are in no way accurate with the trails. However, the views are wonderful and there are plenty of restrooms about the trail head and along the service road.

Worth the hike. Nice view from bluffs overlooking the lake.

Great trail, nice and steep in the beginning and the views are pretty. The trail is SUPER well marked!

What a great hike! My wife, 7 yr old daughter and our two dogs hiked a good portion but turned back once the accent got too much for the little one. I’m a trail runner and can’t wait till we go back to give this a run! Our dogs absolutely loved it and we only saw one other person on trail! Bathrooms by trail head were clean and even had a shower. There’s a little blue water pump outside of it just a bit that we used to fill bowl up with water for dogs on our way out! Great views on the trail and a lot of geese flying over head! Definitely recommend this trail

This is a great single track trail, it does not seem heavily trafficked however it is very well maintained. I had the mindset that this trail was appropriate for mountain biking, due to reviews on alternate sites, a list claiming Robbers Cave had one of the state's best MTB trails and the park signs indicating that the trail was appropriate. With enough determination you CAN trek the trail with your bike, but I would recommend leaving the bike at home, it is really just baggage. Given that, the trail is great! there was not a dull moment. It is rocky, with very little overgrowth, and does have some substantial ascents and descents. This was really a "hike and bike" for me, I was just glad my bicycle is light because I would have been too frustrated to observe the area.

Nice long trail. Trail was well marked and easy to follow. Only problem we encountered was the spiders and spider webs across the trail. Definitely pick up a stick to knock them down as you go. Coming back was better cuz all the spiders and webs were gone. Pants are a good idea too cuz some parts of the trail are over grown and some of the plants are spiked. Challenging trail for sure but worth it.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Good hike. Very well marked and maintained trail. The hike is longer than what shows on this site. The trailhead at deep ford campsite shows 4.8 miles one way. My gps showed 9.9 miles round trip. The end of the trail was anticlimactic. It ends at a T with a sign for new trail. There is a very nice spot overlooking creek just before reaching end.. great resting place before the return.

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Great hike. Weather was perfect. Trails were well marked!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Great trail! Has some steep sections but they are worth the views at the top. I also deviated on to the Governor's trail on the way back to get some great views of Lake Wayne Wallace.

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

We went from the very north point at the caves to the very south point at Deep Ford. I think it was at 9.5 miles. They had drained the lake to do some work but the walk was difficult and fun.

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Great hike with some excellent overlooks! We hiked from the south end to the Lake Carlton overlook about 3+ miles roundtrip. Next time, we want to hike from the north end where the trail crosses Ash Creek Road...heard there are some nice Lake Wayne Wallace overlooks too!

Sunday, July 31, 2016

This trail has very rocky footing in many spots seriously hampers enjoyment. The scenery isn't spectacularly beautiful either.

Monday, January 04, 2016

I went on a day hike at the end of November. This trail was perfect for a long afternoon hike. Lots to see, points to stop off for the view, and plenty of variety in topography. Would go again, for sure!

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Markers are painted in blue and found on trees. Be sure to keep a look out for them, as you can get lost. It helps to have trekking poles for this route and some areas can be tricky/slippery due to mud so take caution while descending.

Pros:
- The views were amazing.
- The trail changes as you trek through, which makes it more interesting and fun.
- Trails are marked
- Quite a popular trail, we met many friendly hikers there.
Cons:
- The theater is across the trail, they happened to have an event that day, and you were able to hear the music/sounds. Which isn't a bad thing, but it takes away the sense of being away from the crowd.
- Foliage/rocks--tons of it. Watch your step!
- Did not see many wildlife/birds (could be related to the time we went).

Monday, November 09, 2015

I think this trail fits the moderate/strenuous category. The part of the trail that runs next to Lake Carlton was hit and miss with the trail markings. In some instances the markings were difficult to locate and in other instances it would seem that the trail ran in every direction with randomly placed blue blazes that lead to a dead ends unless you came prepared to rappel or rock climb. Once past the bluffs of Lake Carlton the trail markings were much more reliable. The hike itself was nice though the trail is littered with rock (probably what the "rugged" part of the trail description is referring to) that constantly keep you in search of firm footing. My Lowa Renegades provide a pretty solid platform but at the end of the day my feet were killing me and my knees about to buckle. Probably not a trail I'd return to but worth the visit.

Note: I did this hike with a 30 lb. pack which adds to the foot/knee soreness but I typically carry this weight and it has not been a problem on some of the other trails like ShoresLake/WhiteRock Loop and Redding/Spyrock Loop.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Only did a portion of the trail, but still really enjoyed it. Great views and landscape. The terrain varies quite a bit as well to make for an exciting hike. If you meander off the trail watch out for thorn bushes, other than that there really are no down sides to the trail.

Monday, December 19, 2011

Mountain trail was long enough to enjoy, varied in its offering, can be joined with the mutliuse trail to make an even longer hike.