Lake Carl Blackwell (Orange Trail)

Lake Carl Blackwell (Orange Trail) is a 7.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stillwater, Oklahoma that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiking in mid May. Hiked for 1 hour and got more than 50 tics all over me. Some of them were monstrous. Lesson learned. It was a joy watching all the deers roaming freely around me but I had to bail. Socks were too infested and abandoned at trailhead. Don’t get me wrong tho this is a great trail from November to February.

It wasn’t the greatest, first and last half of trail is pasture, full sun, middle part is going through some trees with a view of the lake. You share the trail with horse riders which is fine. However the trail in some if not most places are deep ruts made by the heavy horses and water run off. I had to pay for a laminated map because rangers station only had laminated ones. Was told to take a picture of the big map in parking area. And it cost $5.00 for a day pass. I probably won’t hike it again.

The Orange trail is COMPLETELY overgrown with tall grass that we lost the path twice. with the tall grass we got THOUSANDS of seed ticks. wear more bug spray than you think is necessary and protect your animals as best as you can. both my dog and I are being treated for tick-transmitted illnesses and we were both covered with repellant.

My boyfriend and I went hiking at this beautiful lake and loved it! However, I probably wouldn't recommend starting out on this trail, as it has a lot of rough touraine. There are multiple trails at this location, marked with different colors. I'd enjoy my adventure but I forgot to factor in tick season!

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Trail system is not well marked but easy enough to make your way around. Great day hike for those who love woods, open area and the lake!

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Good for a day hike. Muddy!!

Monday, May 16, 2016

Horse tracks were a little cumbersome. Some areas of the Yellow trail were not marked very well.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Easy walking

Monday, December 21, 2015

this trail is really beautiful once you get past the camping area by the lake. My group went in January, so the frozen horse tracks were a little tough on the feet. Amazing views of the lake and prairie type scenery. Definitely a good trail for a day trip.

Friday, November 20, 2015

Nice easy hike. We saw 2 deer and an armadillo. Good view of lake. Good trail to go with friends

Monday, July 20, 2015

Took the pink and white trail systems. Pink consisted of a dirt road access which had horse tracks causing a rough ride. Some areas were a little fun but overall, the trails were overgrown and unmanaged. Overall easy technically. Not a fan, would much prefer Lake McMurtry trails a few miles away.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

overall, this is a really scenic and beautiful trail. definitely long enough for a day trip. my group had a lot of fun completing the trail. my only complaint would be that the first mile or so kind of sucks. tons of campers and stuff ruining the view.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017