rock climbing

The Kite Trail travels on top of a neat little gorge, although the numerous offshoots can make it a bit difficult to follow at times. The dam crossing had some water flowing over it, but if you’re careful you can cross it if it is t too high. The water was only an inch or so deep in the middle past if the dam, but any higher than that and I wouldn’t do it. The water covered part was a little slick, and a misstep would have sent me 15’ down the spillway into some rocks or off into the deep side with nothing to grab onto.

Once I hit the loop it was pretty easy going. There are trail markers but at times it isn’t entirely clear which direction you need to go. There isn’t a lot of cell service there (Verizon) so make sure you have a map or a gps app on your phone.

I decided to cut my trip short because I didn’t feel like crossing the dam and taking the Kite Trail back to the trailhead so I went off trail near the 40-foot hole and headed east. An animal trail followed the creek towards the parking lot and I was able to cross the creek across one of the parking lots where bushes and other debris piled up and the creek was able to spread out and get shallower. I’m not sure if that would have been wise following heavy rains though.