Kite Trail to Bison Trail Loop

Kite Trail to Bison Trail Loop is a 6.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Indiahoma, Oklahoma that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From I-44 take Highway 49 (exit 45). Go west 10 miles to the Refuge gate. If coming from Highway 62, take Highway 115 (Cache exit) north to the Refuge Gate.

If you start from the south on Kite Trail, the path was hard to find and follow. Coming back from the north was easier. We brought our dogs (lab and chihuahua) and they loved it. Watch out for snakes though.

READ FIRST!!!
This is actually 2 trails, the Kite Trail and the Buffalo Trail. The Kite Trail is a 1.5 mile through hike. The Buffalo Trail is an 8.0 mile loop. These two trails are separated by a stream that can block travel between the two if the water is high. The trail map located on here cuts off half of the kite trail, leading into the Buffalo Trail. This was very confusing the first time I started my hike.

The scenery is absolutely gorgeous. Make sure when you go you take a camera that can hold lots of pictures. I was fortunate enough to hike on a day that the water was overflowing the dam at Lost Lake. This made for an amazing scenery while I ate lunch.

The hike itself has patches of plains with no major terrain as well as some more moderate with boulders and stream crossing. I had packed 3L of water. By the time I was able to cross the stream and start the Buffalo trail I was down to half of my water supply. This made me cut my hike short.

Over all the area is a good place for a day hike. As I have said before these are two trails and are longer than what is posted on here.

Nice walk. Lots of bison and longhorns. Nice scenery. I'm from the sierras and it gave me some remembrance of that type of terrain. Most of if easy but a few areas where some cardio is required.