Kite Trail to Bison Trail Loop

Kite Trail to Bison Trail Loop is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Indiahoma, Oklahoma that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

From I-44 take Highway 49 (exit 45). Go west 10 miles to the Refuge gate. If coming from Highway 62, take Highway 115 (Cache exit) north to the Refuge Gate.

Nice hike, easy to follow trail with abundance of markers and maps at crossroads. It's not the most spectacular hike in the refuge, though the well known, beautiful 40 foot canyon is part of it.

It was an extremely pretty trail. Great views, friendly folks, and an overall nice experience. The trail can be a bit hard to follow in some places, but it was well worth it.

This was a very enjoyable hike we did with our 23 month old in a pack.. The terrain goes from rocky to grassland to woodlands. However the Bison Trail is 8 not 6 miles. We cut off some of the bison trail by taking the Longhorn Trail where they intersect then getting back on the Bison trail on the other side... That was 7 miles exactly,
We did not see any buffalo except for two dead ones on the trail, however in our drive in and our drive out we say multiples, along with turkey, longhorn, multiple migrant birds.

Great Trail and will go back again.

Temperatures were low and winds high but we enjoyed the hike. We didn't follow the trail as marked n hiked along the stream instead.

Makes for a great day adventure. Wonderful Canyon views A long with plenty of bodies of water to explore. Bring your camera

One of my favorite parks and trails! 10/10 would recommend, dog friendly and the wildlife is incredible. Easy trail with insane views and worth the memories.

Nice and Quiet, beautiful!!

If you start from the south on Kite Trail, the path was hard to find and follow. Coming back from the north was easier. We brought our dogs (lab and chihuahua) and they loved it. Watch out for snakes though.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

READ FIRST!!!
This is actually 2 trails, the Kite Trail and the Buffalo Trail. The Kite Trail is a 1.5 mile through hike. The Buffalo Trail is an 8.0 mile loop. These two trails are separated by a stream that can block travel between the two if the water is high. The trail map located on here cuts off half of the kite trail, leading into the Buffalo Trail. This was very confusing the first time I started my hike.

The scenery is absolutely gorgeous. Make sure when you go you take a camera that can hold lots of pictures. I was fortunate enough to hike on a day that the water was overflowing the dam at Lost Lake. This made for an amazing scenery while I ate lunch.

The hike itself has patches of plains with no major terrain as well as some more moderate with boulders and stream crossing. I had packed 3L of water. By the time I was able to cross the stream and start the Buffalo trail I was down to half of my water supply. This made me cut my hike short.

Over all the area is a good place for a day hike. As I have said before these are two trails and are longer than what is posted on here.

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Nice walk. Lots of bison and longhorns. Nice scenery. I'm from the sierras and it gave me some remembrance of that type of terrain. Most of if easy but a few areas where some cardio is required.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Beautiful trail! Make sure you see the 40 foot hole.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

It was awesome! I loved it! I'll be back soon!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Pretty awesome! Take plenty of water.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

it was a nice hot day out. made for an excellent hike

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

We had fun on the trails. Next time we will go a month earlier. It got hot in the areas blocked by the breeze but we enjoyed it! Lots of wild garlic growing all over. Didn't see any wildlife on this trip except lizards everywhere.

Saturday, May 14, 2016

It was a nice trail the waterfalls were amazing

Monday, April 25, 2016

Such a fun hike. We saw so many wild flowers and wildlife. It was a nice challenge but so scenic. The water crossings are fun! Trail was nicely marked! We felt accomplished at the end!

Monday, April 11, 2016

it's good family challenge

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Great hike. Brought the pups.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Great hike following the canyon. Good climbing and very scenic.

Friday, January 29, 2016

Done this many times. Start at French lake and end at black dot. Leave a car at each end. Very scenic and pretty easy walk on varied terrain

Friday, June 26, 2015

Nice trails, some water crossings, some climbing. Kid friendly. Will definitely go back!