Jed Johnson Tower Trail to Central Peak is a 1.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lawton, Oklahoma that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

one good shade spot by the lake about 3 minutes into the hike then uncovered for the rest. pretty good but easy inclines. some slippery rocks. wind felt amazing at the top! wish the tower was open to check out those views but otherwise was still very pretty. great for a short hike. our 2 labs handled it great.

Great little hike!

They closed off the entrance to the tower

It was a pretty easy hike with beautiful views.

Tower has been closed off entirely now to entering. Such a shame as it held great views.

Nice, scenic trail. Perfect for birders. Spotted a painted bunting, a Carolina wren, a Mississippi kite, a brown thrasher, and a meadow lark during my hike. There’s a short adjacent trail that leads west of the tower, but it stops at some boulders and does not appear to go farther. It was a nice add-on, though. This trail is great for beginners, children, and dogs.

Took a quick hike late in the afternoon when it was cooler. Lots of loose rocks and little to no shade but short and sweet with great views.

Amazing hike and rock climbing. Can get a bit dicey in the winter months. My fiancé proposed here (well on one of the mountains near the lake/tower area). It’s a magical place for me. Love it. Definitely a moderate hike/trail area.

rock climbing

Trails are easy when staying on the path.
Rocks adjacent to them - not so easy lol. I have hiked it twice and getting to the summit is easier in the spring than the fall. It gets dark quick so plan early and bring extra lighting.

Total time spent was a couple of hours each way to the summit of the mountain next to the tower. I’ve seen some folks fishing the lake there but I never got over to it.

Last trip was in January and it was very cold. Ice still on the rocks which can make for a dicey climb. Still very worth it.

My fiancé proposed on top of the mountain next to the tower, it was a perfect hike with an amazing sunset. Cold but beautiful.

Great mountain trails. A lot of rock climbing son and German Shepherd had no problem. Two thumbs up from poppy!

Nice short trek with great views. Easy trail for everyone.

My dad and I took this trail with my dog and we loved it! The view was amazing, the hike in was really easy! We where a little confused at one point it V’s and the right goes away from the tower. So we turned around and went left and had no other problems. We found a rattle snake on the path on the way back down!! So be be careful!

very easy trail to follow

This was a nice trail at first but then at the base of the trail it basically disappeared at the base of the hill. We had to scramble up boulders and basically follow a animal trail to get to the top.

beautiful at sunset

Nice hike... great view

Easy hike, wish the tower was open and able to get inside for the view.

Love this trail, some seriously boulders at the end toward the peak. Would not recommend bringing a small dog if you plan on finishing lol

Great hike, short, but fun. Cool seeing the old tower at the top.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

Easy hike, short hike. We took our baby in our hiking backpack with us. Great views and the castle at the top was fun.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

This was a perfect first-time hike for our family of 5. We took a 9, 5, and 2 year old. Took us about an hour, with off-and-on carrying of the 2 year old.
The kids loved getting to see the "castle."

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Hiked this trail with my 4-year-old in October. Thought this was a great hike for a kid. It's a short trail with different terrains and great views. It hits right by the lake (passed several people fishing here), some parts are an easy walk through the fields, you got some rocky terrain, a little bit of elevation, hit a couple of creeks where we had to do some rock-hopping to keep our shoes dry, arriving at the top for great views of the lake.

Took us about an hour and a half to hike this trail at a very slow pace.

Sunday, October 01, 2017

Nice trail with a little elevation. There was a lot of mud and water due to recent rainstorms which just made it more fun for us. Getting to the tower was really neat after passing it on many trips to the refuge.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017