Green Leaf Trail Loop

Green Leaf Trail Loop is a 17.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Braggs, Oklahoma that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

Tucked away in the hills of eastern Oklahoma, Greenleaf State Park offers spectacular scenery and is a family-friendly state park. The park includes Lake Greenleaf as well as cabins, campgrounds, family recreation facilities and nature hiking trails. The trail is designed for overnight backpacking, however day hikers/bicyclists also enjoy it. This 18 mile loop crosses uneven terrain with some steep grades and rock surfaces. The south loop is easier while the north loop is primitive and more difficult with technical and rocky sections.

Love this park and trail. Be aware that most of the trail is frequently closed in fall due to hunting season. I recommend calling ahead to check before planning on hiking the full 18 miles.

Not the greatest trail,but it's pretty rad. There's quite a few places to stop and fish,so that's always a plus.

Hiked the south loop of the main trail system in late September. In spite of using bug spray, I still got bombarded with chiggers. No ticks though. That aside, I thought this was an okay hike. The bridge was the main attraction for me. There wasn't too many great views or points of interest throughout the trail.

Moderate hike. The west side of the trail was definitely an easier hike then the east. We hiked clockwise and I think I would agree with a lot of the other reviews that can be found online that counterclockwise is a better bet.

Overall, I did enjoy this hike. I had plans to do the entire trail system as an overnight backpacking trip but after doing a day hike, I've lost interest.

I only hiked from the trailhead to the swinging bridge. Just a short 3 hour hike. I wasn't expecting the trail would lead me to the highway bridge between the trail. Steep in some spots along the lake. It was definitely different than what I expected but still a pretty sight and a great adventure. Unexpected is good.

decent trail, good campground at Marys cove, ticks and chiggers were crazy bad

Trail was great, but if you plan on running the whole trail and being back before dark, get there super early

Trail was anticlimactic. After checking into the rangers station we headed out on the trail. We used bug spray as suggested. We didn't have any issues with bugs but the trail was closed after the swinging bridge. No views and swinging bridge was just ok.

First and foremost...spray for ticks and bring the spray along! The area is so infested with ticks, we could not stop without them crawling up our legs! Second, this trail is beautiful, but deceptively NOT easy. I would suggest doing it counterclockwise as the toughest climbs are there and not clockwise. We did clockwise and the steep hills on the outside loop kicked our butt! Also, I would suggest signing in at box in the park and actually parking at the bridge fishing area! You have to walk along a highway to actually access this trail. Good to also note that at Mary's Cove, you only know you're there because of picnic tables. At the first table the trail to the left keeps you going up the trail...at the second table, the trail to your right takes you to the crossover to go back. This area, for about a mile, is not traversed much! LOOK FOR THE ORANGE FLAGS or you will get lost! Thank God for the trail angel who placed the flags all along the entire trail!

No one in my hiking group had ever been to this trail and relied pretty heavily on the info and trail reviews here. We all felt like the descriptions and reviews of this trail need some updating. Our primary activity is overnight hammock backpacking.

The trail description and map is missing an important piece of the trail. There is a cross over trail at mile marker 5 making this a figure 8. The bottom is roughly 11 miles and the top loop 6 miles making the entire trail loop 17 miles. These distances are based on the map from the park office. This is important because it became evident (more below) that the top loop is rarely hiked and I can only assume that some of these reviews are based on only hiking the bottom loop.

The bottom loop is well traveled and clearly marked most of the way. Big mile marker posts are nice to tell you where you are. They are placed for a clockwise hike. The suspension bridge is cool and very springy. There is a well established camp area called Mary's Cove at mile 5. There are about 5 separate camp sites with rock fire pits, flat ground for tents, lots of trees for hammocks, one site even has a nice picnic table! If you gather water, there are few spots where you can get to the lake. My gut tells me most people never make it past this spot. It would be a nice overnighter to hike the bottom 10 mile loop spending the night at Mary's Cove and taking the return trail.

On day 2 we planned on hiking the upper trail to spend the night in the wilderness area. The trail was infrequently traveled and over grown. In places I would guess it hasn't seen feet in months. The further we went the worse it got to a point where you could not see a trail on the ground. Heavy tall grass, downed trees, large rocks in the pathway making for some technical hiking in places. There are the same trail makers along the way but it is so heavy we relied more on red tape tied to branches marking the "trail" about every 20-30 yards. Without that it would have been impossible to see a trail. I would rank this as a primitive trail better suited for experienced hikers. At the peak of the trail there is a designated camp site on the map but we decided to cut over to the return trail and head back. It took us 3 hours to hike 3 miles. If you like a primitive hike, this is a good one but be prepared for slow going and put on plenty of DEET. Heavy ticks and chiggers. Wish we would have known all this and planned better.

The main park area is nice, park management very helpful, and there is no cost to park for an overnight hike. Great hiking close to the lake.

favorite trail by far! My dog and I did the entire thing (after the main road bridge since we hiked it before) 16miles in 7hrs55minutes. We should've waited a little since it had rained the day before and turned the little creeks into raging rivers we had to cross and it was up to my knees. Ticks are out already so wear repellant and check yourself and pets after hike!