Green Leaf Trail Loop

Green Leaf Trail Loop is a 17.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Braggs, Oklahoma that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

Tucked away in the hills of eastern Oklahoma, Greenleaf State Park offers spectacular scenery and is a family-friendly state park. The park includes Lake Greenleaf as well as cabins, campgrounds, family recreation facilities and nature hiking trails. The trail is designed for overnight backpacking, however day hikers/bicyclists also enjoy it. This 18 mile loop crosses uneven terrain with some steep grades and rock surfaces. The south loop is easier while the north loop is primitive and more difficult with technical and rocky sections.

Trail was anticlimactic. After checking into the rangers station we headed out on the trail. We used bug spray as suggested. We didn't have any issues with bugs but the trail was closed after the swinging bridge. No views and swinging bridge was just ok.

First and foremost...spray for ticks and bring the spray along! The area is so infested with ticks, we could not stop without them crawling up our legs! Second, this trail is beautiful, but deceptively NOT easy. I would suggest doing it counterclockwise as the toughest climbs are there and not clockwise. We did clockwise and the steep hills on the outside loop kicked our butt! Also, I would suggest signing in at box in the park and actually parking at the bridge fishing area! You have to walk along a highway to actually access this trail. Good to also note that at Mary's Cove, you only know you're there because of picnic tables. At the first table the trail to the left keeps you going up the trail...at the second table, the trail to your right takes you to the crossover to go back. This area, for about a mile, is not traversed much! LOOK FOR THE ORANGE FLAGS or you will get lost! Thank God for the trail angel who placed the flags all along the entire trail!

No one in my hiking group had ever been to this trail and relied pretty heavily on the info and trail reviews here. We all felt like the descriptions and reviews of this trail need some updating. Our primary activity is overnight hammock backpacking.

The trail description and map is missing an important piece of the trail. There is a cross over trail at mile marker 5 making this a figure 8. The bottom is roughly 11 miles and the top loop 6 miles making the entire trail loop 17 miles. These distances are based on the map from the park office. This is important because it became evident (more below) that the top loop is rarely hiked and I can only assume that some of these reviews are based on only hiking the bottom loop.

The bottom loop is well traveled and clearly marked most of the way. Big mile marker posts are nice to tell you where you are. They are placed for a clockwise hike. The suspension bridge is cool and very springy. There is a well established camp area called Mary's Cove at mile 5. There are about 5 separate camp sites with rock fire pits, flat ground for tents, lots of trees for hammocks, one site even has a nice picnic table! If you gather water, there are few spots where you can get to the lake. My gut tells me most people never make it past this spot. It would be a nice overnighter to hike the bottom 10 mile loop spending the night at Mary's Cove and taking the return trail.

On day 2 we planned on hiking the upper trail to spend the night in the wilderness area. The trail was infrequently traveled and over grown. In places I would guess it hasn't seen feet in months. The further we went the worse it got to a point where you could not see a trail on the ground. Heavy tall grass, downed trees, large rocks in the pathway making for some technical hiking in places. There are the same trail makers along the way but it is so heavy we relied more on red tape tied to branches marking the "trail" about every 20-30 yards. Without that it would have been impossible to see a trail. I would rank this as a primitive trail better suited for experienced hikers. At the peak of the trail there is a designated camp site on the map but we decided to cut over to the return trail and head back. It took us 3 hours to hike 3 miles. If you like a primitive hike, this is a good one but be prepared for slow going and put on plenty of DEET. Heavy ticks and chiggers. Wish we would have known all this and planned better.

The main park area is nice, park management very helpful, and there is no cost to park for an overnight hike. Great hiking close to the lake.

favorite trail by far! My dog and I did the entire thing (after the main road bridge since we hiked it before) 16miles in 7hrs55minutes. We should've waited a little since it had rained the day before and turned the little creeks into raging rivers we had to cross and it was up to my knees. Ticks are out already so wear repellant and check yourself and pets after hike!

Wasn't happy when we heard gun shots near by. Stopped hiking and returned to trailhead.

I did this trail for my first solo backpacking venture. I highly enjoyed the trail as it was beautiful. I had read that there are downed trees in the trail which is still true. Most of them were not a problem for me as a hiker. There was one section on the north loop right before the junction to Mary's Cove campground that was problematic. If you are going clockwise on the trail you come to a section with many down trees and the trail markers seemed to stop. You have to go to your right over some trees and the trail will pick back up. The only other concern I had was the amount of hog rootings along the trail-especially at the north primitive campground. I did not see any hogs but I would be cautious. Other than that the trail was awesome!

Did this loop as part of the Greenleaf Trail Run 2017. It was well marked for the event and think it would be wonderful if the little metal markers become a permanent thing. Without the effort of the race sponsors to mark the trail, I don't know how I would have stayed on the trail in several areas. As far as the trail goes, there were several downed trees across the trail that had to be climbed over. Beware of your footing as the trail is rocky the vast majority of the way. I think the trail would be very enjoyable as a hike though (5 stars). As a trail run, just be aware of you footing and you'll be good. I completed it in 3 hours and it was a great workout!

Nice easy trail. Was well marked and had an easy to follow path.

Loved it, the path and markers are visible. The state does an outstanding job maintaining this trail.

I enjoyed the trail as I have not been to Greenleaf State Park in a number of years. Campgrounds are clean and friendly. Although, you should have a "camp shovel" with you to remove the ash from the fire pits around the tent camping sites.
The ankle express trail does need some maintenance as there is some debris across the trail. Usually volunteer groups help with trail maintenance. My son and I only hiked (according to my pace count) 10 Km of the trail. From the trail head to the swinging bridge 4.5 Km, and then we hiked to the "2 mile" marker / post, and turned around.
I did use some trail marking tape to establish the 100 meter pace marker's & informed some of the other hikers of its use. Overall, the trail is in good condition but needs maintenance. Also, I saw too many family hikers ill equipped having no additional water or trail snacks. As with any expedition, failure to plan accordingling can cost you dearly. Be advised to always carry a survival kit with you on the trail.