Green Leaf Trail Loop

Green Leaf Trail Loop is a 17.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Braggs, Oklahoma that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

canoeing

Tucked away in the hills of eastern Oklahoma, Greenleaf State Park offers spectacular scenery and is a family-friendly state park. The park includes Lake Greenleaf as well as cabins, campgrounds, family recreation facilities and nature hiking trails. The trail is designed for overnight backpacking, however day hikers/bicyclists also enjoy it. This 18 mile loop crosses uneven terrain with some steep grades and rock surfaces. The south loop is easier while the north loop is primitive and more difficult with technical and rocky sections.

Wasn't happy when we heard gun shots near by. Stopped hiking and returned to trailhead.

I did this trail for my first solo backpacking venture. I highly enjoyed the trail as it was beautiful. I had read that there are downed trees in the trail which is still true. Most of them were not a problem for me as a hiker. There was one section on the north loop right before the junction to Mary's Cove campground that was problematic. If you are going clockwise on the trail you come to a section with many down trees and the trail markers seemed to stop. You have to go to your right over some trees and the trail will pick back up. The only other concern I had was the amount of hog rootings along the trail-especially at the north primitive campground. I did not see any hogs but I would be cautious. Other than that the trail was awesome!

Did this loop as part of the Greenleaf Trail Run 2017. It was well marked for the event and think it would be wonderful if the little metal markers become a permanent thing. Without the effort of the race sponsors to mark the trail, I don't know how I would have stayed on the trail in several areas. As far as the trail goes, there were several downed trees across the trail that had to be climbed over. Beware of your footing as the trail is rocky the vast majority of the way. I think the trail would be very enjoyable as a hike though (5 stars). As a trail run, just be aware of you footing and you'll be good. I completed it in 3 hours and it was a great workout!

Nice easy trail. Was well marked and had an easy to follow path.

Loved it, the path and markers are visible. The state does an outstanding job maintaining this trail.

I enjoyed the trail as I have not been to Greenleaf State Park in a number of years. Campgrounds are clean and friendly. Although, you should have a "camp shovel" with you to remove the ash from the fire pits around the tent camping sites.
The ankle express trail does need some maintenance as there is some debris across the trail. Usually volunteer groups help with trail maintenance. My son and I only hiked (according to my pace count) 10 Km of the trail. From the trail head to the swinging bridge 4.5 Km, and then we hiked to the "2 mile" marker / post, and turned around.
I did use some trail marking tape to establish the 100 meter pace marker's & informed some of the other hikers of its use. Overall, the trail is in good condition but needs maintenance. Also, I saw too many family hikers ill equipped having no additional water or trail snacks. As with any expedition, failure to plan accordingling can cost you dearly. Be advised to always carry a survival kit with you on the trail.

using west side of trail to mary's cove was fun. well marked and very few trees or debris. cutting across to east side of lower trail was difficult due to many downed trees and inadequately marked trail. finally got to west side of lower trail only to find many trees down and once again very poor blazed trail due to many trees down. we ended up backtracking the trail and leaving by the west trail because we were unable to safely proceed down the east side of the lower trail called the park and ask if anyone had walked the trail after the severe storms we had several months ago and was informed that no one had hiked the trail after the wind storms. just seems like it wouldn't cost much to have someone hike the trail after storms and assess damage done to trails in hopes that the trails were safe for all levels of hikers i am not trying to be critical of the hard working people that help all of us to enjoy our state parks but there was alot of damage done to the lower part of this trail by oklahoma storms.. hard job and probably not alot of money. just please get the blazes and the trail looked at after storms?? some people do this trail as their first attempt at backpacking and it isn't an easy trail to follow at this time.

The trail was fairly well-marked and easy to follow from trailhead to the Mary's Cove primitive campground on the west side of the south loop, albeit due to a well-trodden path. Campers I met at Mary's Cove campground mentioned that doing the north loop at this time would be very difficult due to fallen trees that had still not been cleaned up. Plus, it was getting late, so I opted for the cut-through and back down the east side of the south loop. This too proved very challenging, because many trees were down and appeared to have been down for over a year. I ended up getting lost (again due to downed trees and rare markers) but was lucky to find the #11 mile marker, where the east part of the loop restarts. From there I proceeded south, getting lost again even before #12 mile marker. I ended up venturing back west and rejoined the west branch of the south loop. and simply retraced my steps. I would rate the trail itself as "easy" but only 2 stars for the poor signage, multiple downed trees, and overgrown areas. I certainly expected better from a state park where the trail claims to be maintained by the "Oklahoma Ankle Express". There's nothing express about the clean-up and maintenance of this trail. On the positive, I managed to get in a great cardio workout going 12 miles in total (per my Samsung Gear Fit 2). Especially due to the areas overgrown with tall grasses, I would recommend long hiking pants with good hiking boots and tick repellent.

nice trail, but lots of trees across the trails and lots of seed ticks.

Well marked to the swinging bridge. Will visit again and go beyond the bridge to explore the entire 18 miles.

Overgrown!

Hiked 3-4 miles out and back from the park side. Not a hard trail to hike. Oklahoma mountain bikers might consider it technical. I was bored with it. Overgrown with only a few views of the lake. Trail dumps you out on the highway where you walk over the bridge and then pick the trail back up again on the other side. Bug spray is a must. Horse flies, chiggers, the works. Just wasn't a fan of this one.