Elk Trail is a 1.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Indiahoma, Oklahoma that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.1 km Elevation Gain: 18 m Route Type: Loop

The Elk trail is a short loop in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge trail system. The Longhorn trail also serves as a connector from eastern trailhead to the loop. From the parking lot the trail crosses over a bridge and onto the bison trail. This route takes you along a waterway that had some wildlife. Shortly after this look for a sign on the left that takes you onto the elk trail. This goes up a small hill and then loops around to the beginning.

This trail was super fun and rewarding! Keep your eye out and you may see some beautiful camouflaged lizards and other animals. The only down fall is that it is hard to tell where the trail is at points because of the rocks. But if you get lost just head up and you are sure to reach the next switchback.

Great little jaunt with the kiddos. Trail was overgrown in several places, making it a little more challenging for my 3 yr old. Overall, fun trail, will do again, next time with pants. And a baseball cap for the tiny one.

Sun May 05 2019

Pleasant, easy trail good for children and dogs - no wildlife visible.

Mon Mar 25 2019

Great way to end the day. I started my hike in the bison trail and when I got all the way around to the elk trail I took it. It is a nice little hill to climb.

Sun Mar 25 2018

Easy one. Nice views. Wore my 1 year old. Not strollerable

Sun Dec 10 2017

Good little hike ,easy. Seen a bunch of deer an beaver.

Fri Oct 27 2017

Easy hike, good for kids. The signs are a little sketchy.

Sun Oct 01 2017

Short simple hike around the prairie. A minor trail in the park. OK for kids.

Sun Feb 28 2016

First time hiking in Oklahoma. Didn't know what to expected, but was pleasantly surprised. Trails around the canyon were the best part of the trail. Got some good panoramic pics out of it. Would definitely go again.

Fri Feb 19 2016

It was beautiful on the north end. We went clockwise on the trail. Once u get past the boulder parking area on the west side the trail is poorly marked. The Rangers know and tried to put rock markers but it's still tough. It is beautiful but be careful on the south side of the loop

Thu Feb 11 2016

Loved this weekend! Riding in a local tour, hiking & camping.

Thu Nov 26 2015

8 miles long and 4 and 1/2 hrs time. Loved to the whole trail, gives different types of landscapes to hike. Watch out for longhorn bull guarding the pond if you start to the right at trail head. I did it in the spring of 2012 , at that time the only issue I had was toward the end of the long hike was the two snakes I ran into. One was definitely a vipor (baby) . The second time I tried to hike it I ran into a bull guarding the pond.

Wed Sep 10 2014

The 'Track' shown is nowhere near the Bison Trail. The location shown on this app is by Mount Scott, while the real Bison Trail is about 6 miles west. As for the trail, it's an easy hike, well defined trail. Be weary of the bison and longhorns.

Tue May 06 2014

As a SW OK resident and avid hiker, this is my hiking homeland and the Dog Run Trail System (Elk, Bison, and Longhorn trails) is easily my favorite in the area. The three trails combine for more than 8 miles of track, and there's lost of exploring to be done as well. 40 Foot hole is an unknown wonder here in Oklahoma, but the waterfalls that flow through the canyon if there's even a remote bit of water present make for a pretty hike. The trail is not all that well marked and it is quite easy to get off track in a couple of different places. I recommend downloading one of several good gps trail apps for your phone and turning it on before you hit the trail just to help keep you on track. If you want a full review, please check out the helpful link below

Wed Nov 27 2013

We hiked the Bison Trail loop in November 2013. It is 8 mile loop, but we warned - there are huge portions of the trail that is not well marked. We started the trail clockwise, and it was well marked until we crossed the creek and went up a hill. At the top of the hill, we completely lost the trail, and there was no marker to be found. We forged ahead anyways and ended up picking up the trail again. We believe we ended up cutting out 1 mile of the trail. The scenery was beautiful with lots of varied topography. We saw lots of wildlife as well. Other than losing the trail, it was a super fun hike. And really, losing the trail wasn't that bad. It made for a good story.

Tue Feb 28 2012

We took our kids here back in 2008 for a short family hike. Our youngest was two years old at the time and spent part of the hike in a wagon and part of it walking on her own. This was a short hike which was perfect for us but there are longer ones that are part of the trail system.

Sun Jun 02 2019