Bison Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Indiahoma, Oklahoma that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Part of the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, this trail offers a relatively easy walk over rugged terrain past several lakes and rivers. Beautiful views and no significant elevation gain. Spots of the Bison Trail may be difficult to follow, especially near the gorge.

Awesome hike! What is fantastic is that you get all of the terrain that exists in the Park in a single hike, exactly as the Park Ranger said. Plains, Hills, Forest, Wetlands with beautiful views of the gorge.

Height, streams and animals, it has everything for a moderate trail, the temperature was great and of course the colors of fall were breath taking, highly suggested to have a relaxing day!

The fall morning weather was perfect for a hike. The last time it rained was Tuesday so while it wasn’t super swampy everywhere, it was wet in places. Other than that, it kept the trail in good condition. I was a longhorn skeleton just off the trail near the Lost Lake dam. I saw a bunch of turkeys and heard an elk bugling just south of French Lake.

Fun hike! First time in the park and went right to this trail. Rocks, rivers, steams, woods and prairie. Plenty of water for the dogs. Made it in 2.5 hours. Toughest obstacle is 50 yards in. If you can cross that creek you can make the hike. Found some mushrooms on a cow-pie...gnarly.

The pup and I enjoyed the trail! Lots of loose rocks to maneuver over both up and down hill, I would say moderate difficulty, can lose the trail in some of the rock formation area. We enjoyed watching a group of people rock climbing by the water! Few spots of water on the trail, waterproof boots would come in handy. Good views, high grass.

Have only done a few small sections of this trail...nice views but poorly marked in some places.

Not much vegetation, great trail regardless. Signs are not well posted and you may find yourself taking the wrong turn.

Terrific non-technical trail. Bring plenty of water, especially in the hot months. Plenty of bison, elk, deer, water and other assorted wildlife but especially rattle snakes. Wear gaiters and watch your step. They cover this area pretty well. Loose boulders/rocks can be a concern as well.

Beautiful trail. Fairly easy trail with little elevation gain. Hiked with my grandkids, ages 12, 10 and 8, they had no difficulties. Lots of Beautiful scenery and wildlife.

Great views! The wild flowers are beautiful. Rocky in places, and lots of little streams. It was actually closer to an 8 mile hike.

This trail has a little bit of everything! This says 6 miles but it is 8 miles.

Great trail, water features and very cool rock formations.

The trail can be a bit rocky but nothing too extreme. Saw several bison on the trail. I can't wait to explore the other trails in the park.

Enjoyable Trail. I spent half a day on this trail and encountered 3 Longhorn and a deer. Some parts have a sudden “raise” in elevation, but i don’t see it as a problem to beginners. Trail got a little hard to read near the Lost Dam, but other than that I loved it. You can get some cool views of the mountains and the river from this trail.

Great trail with special scenic areas which you can spend a lot of time exploring. Recommend hiking clockwise.

Saturday, November 04, 2017

as a newbie to hiking this trail kicked my butt, its a rocky terrain and my feet and ankles were done in. the scenery was beautiful. We will be back now that we've had more experience.

Sunday, October 22, 2017

easy trail to hike with lots to see. Very rocky so wear good supportive shoes. My 6 year old had no problem hiking this trail. Online it says its 6 miles but the signs on the trail itself say 8 miles so not exactly sure how long it is. some parts of the trail are hard to follow and you can easily get off track if you are not careful. cant wait to go back and hike the opposite direction.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

This trail was awesome! I started right when the sun was rising and the weather was great. When getting to the loop I scared up deer and elk and seen quite a bit through the hike. The views were great and cannot wait to back and hike this trial again.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Great trail. Beautiful scenery for 4+ miles but the last mile or so was pretty overgrown. It can be easy to lose the trail at times. Will definitely hike again.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Fun, beautiful, and challenging trail. Took two novices 4.5 hours to complete including some breaks and photo stops. Ran into several snakes including a rattler and a couple longhorn and buffalo on the trail. Weather was sunny and low 70's. Our pint of water each barely made the 8 miles.

Monday, January 30, 2017

What a fantastic trail! I'm about to close out my Oklahoma adventures and decided to take one last (rare) day off and enjoy the beautiful weather at this amazing park.

As stated in the description, there was a large portion of the trail that was unmarked and I did have some moments of worry. I couldn't tell if I was on an established hiking trail or an established cattle trail. There was evidence of cattle droppings throughout the entire trail and big horn sheep droppings in the rocky areas. I didn't see any animals except some bison sunning across the river, but I was happy for that. I have no desire to encounter them in their natural habitat except from a far, safe distance.

I was grateful I'd worn sturdy hiking shoes because there were tons of small rocks that turned my ankle a few times. I know I'd have been in a world of hurt if I hadn't been wearing proper footwear.

There was a sad stretch of trail, maybe about a mile long, that was affected by a fire. I'm not sure if it was a controlled burn or wildfire, but most of the trees were charcoal sticks. There was still a bit of powdery ash in the area so stick to the trail where the footing is solid.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Great hike! The terrain was pretty diverse - some wooded areas, some flat and open, part of the trail was very rocky, other parts were smooth. The trail passes by the 40 Foot Hole which was definitely the main attraction of the hike. You have the option to climb down there and do some boulder hopping. Also passes by the Lost Lake dam which was a great stop as well.

Think this would be a great trail for trail running. Plan on going back soon and testing it out.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

The trail is actually 8 miles and isn't very easy in several spots due to loose rocks. Also, it is not the Buffalo Trail. It is the Bison Trail.

Sunday, July 24, 2016

Beautiful views! Not a difficult trail to hike. We got a little off the path and ran into bison...hurried to get back on. Make sure to check out the Forty Foot Hole!

Sunday, July 24, 2016

There are buffalo on this trail. Don't be scared to get off the beaten path, make sure you check out the forty foot hole.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Wear proper footwear and dress for the weather. Wonderful vistas. Longhorn cattle, bison, and elk. Lots of rocks too! Carry sufficient water (and drink often to prevent dehydration). Views of canyon and creek are impressive. Wildflowers were wonderful -- they seemed to blanket the entire area.

Thursday, February 25, 2016

It was nice hike. Lots of rocks.

Monday, October 19, 2015

Decent hike for Oklahoma. The trail is easy to follow and can be done quick. Saw both longhorn and buffalo on the hike. The forty foot hole was the prettiest part.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

My wife and I hiked this area on 9/13/14. We started at the Kite trail, crossed over at the damn and took on the Bison trail! Made for an amazing adventure and an absolutely beautiful hike.

Be warned though there are a few spots that the trail seems to just end. We got a little lost a few times but were able to find our way back onto the trail no problem. Even came across a sleeping buffalo just 30 feet off the trail!

Friday, June 07, 2013

Very easy beautiful scenery. We enjoy going to the refuge area for our hikes because of the beauty and how well kept the park is