Bison Trail

Bison Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Indiahoma, Oklahoma that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Part of the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, this trail offers a relatively easy walk over rugged terrain past several lakes and rivers. Beautiful views and no significant elevation gain. Spots of the Bison Trail may be difficult to follow, especially near the gorge. Overall nice trail.

This trail was awesome! I started right when the sun was rising and the weather was great. When getting to the loop I scared up deer and elk and seen quite a bit through the hike. The views were great and cannot wait to back and hike this trial again.

Great trail. Beautiful scenery for 4+ miles but the last mile or so was pretty overgrown. It can be easy to lose the trail at times. Will definitely hike again.

Fun, beautiful, and challenging trail. Took two novices 4.5 hours to complete including some breaks and photo stops. Ran into several snakes including a rattler and a couple longhorn and buffalo on the trail. Weather was sunny and low 70's. Our pint of water each barely made the 8 miles.

What a fantastic trail! I'm about to close out my Oklahoma adventures and decided to take one last (rare) day off and enjoy the beautiful weather at this amazing park.

As stated in the description, there was a large portion of the trail that was unmarked and I did have some moments of worry. I couldn't tell if I was on an established hiking trail or an established cattle trail. There was evidence of cattle droppings throughout the entire trail and big horn sheep droppings in the rocky areas. I didn't see any animals except some bison sunning across the river, but I was happy for that. I have no desire to encounter them in their natural habitat except from a far, safe distance.

I was grateful I'd worn sturdy hiking shoes because there were tons of small rocks that turned my ankle a few times. I know I'd have been in a world of hurt if I hadn't been wearing proper footwear.

There was a sad stretch of trail, maybe about a mile long, that was affected by a fire. I'm not sure if it was a controlled burn or wildfire, but most of the trees were charcoal sticks. There was still a bit of powdery ash in the area so stick to the trail where the footing is solid.

Great hike! The terrain was pretty diverse - some wooded areas, some flat and open, part of the trail was very rocky, other parts were smooth. The trail passes by the 40 Foot Hole which was definitely the main attraction of the hike. You have the option to climb down there and do some boulder hopping. Also passes by the Lost Lake dam which was a great stop as well.

Think this would be a great trail for trail running. Plan on going back soon and testing it out.