Zaleski South Loop Trail

Zaleski South Loop Trail is a 11.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Zaleski, Ohio that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

old growth

You are walking on a portion of the original road from Marietta to Chillicothe, which also passed through Middletown (today known as Athens). This road, abandoned by 1870, was actively used by early settlers and was also an important hunting ground for Native Americans. BACKPACK TRAIL RULES 1. You may camp only in the designated campground areas shown on the map. 2. A self-registration permit (no fee) is required of all hikers. The permit, which you must fill out prior to entering the trail, is available at the trail parking area 24-hours a day.

I found this trail to be challenging. We hiked from Lake Hope and spent the night at campsite 1, then completed the loop the next day. Great hike and beautiful forest. Some fallen trees, steep inclines and declines to create a challenge and get the heart rate up. We also encountered a large copperhead about a mile out from campsite 1, watching us closely only about 3 feet from the trail. Be careful and very snake aware in this forest.

The best backpacking trail in Ohio! You really feel secluded when you get to the campsites, night time can be fantastic with the sounds of the coyotes. There is a water well and outhouse at the campsites as well, making it easy to settle in for the night.

I loved the trail. Challenging but I have found lots of Chanterelle mushrooms, chicken of the woods and shiso leaves

Hiked all 11.3 miles of this trail yesterday. Started at the Iron Furnace. 6 hours later I was back at my car. A lovely, long walk. Trail is overgrown so wear long pants and perhaps bring a long shirt. Take hiking poles because there is poison ivy in places. Not a difficult hike in terms of elevation, but challenging because it is long. Was definitely ready to get in the car at end. There were many interesting parts, including an overlook, wetlands, old overgrown roads, rock formations, flora, and fauna. I saw a beautiful male deer, ducks or pheasants (I couldn’t tell because they were far away and I scared them so they flew off), a lot of butterfly varieties, many bird species, and bugs. Wear repellant. Bring lots of food. 2 water sources and 2 latrines along the way. Saw several hikers, maybe 15 in all. I don’t like crowded trails, so it was perfect. A great great day. Highlight was the male deer who was just as interested in me as I was in him. If you do this loop in 1 day, be prepared to be out there a while.

Went backpacking for a night to campsite two. The incline at the start really kicks your ass but it’s pretty nice from there. Water is cold and fresh along the trail and the bathrooms are actually really nice for a backpacking trail.

me and my son did it at night. whole new experience.

Nice overnighter. We started from the Iron Furnace trailhead and hiked counterclockwise. to campsite no. 2, got up early and hiked out the next morning. Follow the orange blazes until you get to waypoint K, then follow the white blazes back to the trailhead.
It was 90 degrees the day we hiked in, so it was harder than we expected. The forest was beautiful and there was some pleasant topography along the way.
Mosquitos were horrible, requiring multiple applications of Deet. Lots of Rambler Rose, blackberry and nettles line the trail, but these could be held back with trekking poles. Consider wearing gaiters or long pants and take plenty of water if you go in mid summer.
The campsites were well chosen and had ample space for multiple parties. No tables or fire rings, but privies are provided and, best of all, piped in water is available.

This was a good hiking trail for a one-night backpacking outing. The trail is generally well maintained except for a handful of downed trees in some areas. There were not too many great views, but it was a good intermediate trail with some good elevation changes and only a handful of harder climbs. I would recommend at least two liters of water with refills available at either of the two campsites. Since this goes through some wetlands, it can feel quite humid on a hot summer day.

FYI, there are two trailheads. The trailhead at Hope Schoolhouse is designated for overnight backpacking and the trailhead at Iron Furnace / 278 is designated for dayhikers, but you can use either trailhead for either purpose. The Iron Furnace information board shows you the direction to the trailhead up the road (250 feet road walk).

We were confused about where the trailhead started from the parking lot, but discovered you actually have to walk down the road a short distance and the trailhead starts there. If I had to do it all over again, I would've worn hiking pants instead of hiking shorts because the poison ivy can be pretty dense in some areas where the trail gets pretty narrow. Thankfully, I didn't end up getting any :) This hike definitely got my heart rate up at times. I brought trekking poles which I found to be helpful for both the inclines and declines as parts can be steep up & down. For the most part, the trail was easy to follow, blazes well marked. Using the app was incredibly helpful and we needed to refer to the map a few times when trails conjoined. I'd recommend bringing at least 2 liters of water to start off with and fill up along the way if needed. There is water access at a couple points along the trail, but we ran into several people who were almost out of water and asking us where the next water access was.

The main loop was well-maintained and well-marked for the most part. We didn't lose the trail at all but we did not have a good sense of when we reached some of the lettered points on the trail. There is some varied scenery, such as ridges, wetlands and streams. With the Hope Schoolhouse connector this is a tough trail. Not only do you add about 2 miles, but you immediately add a ton of elevation gain.

Great hiking trail! Be sure to have your Cardio ready to go as a few of the inclines are no joke!

Did this entire trail yesterday. We went counterclockwise. Trail is well marked and plenty of water is available. As others have said the terrain can be steep in places and is probably a little more than a “moderate” hike, especially if you are carrying your backpacking gear. Overall though a nice trail.

I've backpacked Zaleski over the course of a weekend and I've hiked the whole thing in a day. Either way it'll kick your butt. It's got some serious elevation changes and combined with the sheer distance, this could easily be rated "hard." You could argue it's a little boring. There aren't a ton of spectacular views or features, but it's still my go to long distance hike in Ohio. If you love the forest, you'll love this. Especially the peaceful north loop. Camping can be hit and miss because you're limited to three general areas and it's typically pretty busy. Find those quiet times and the solitude can't be beat. I'll never stop coming back here. As others have alluded to, there are a few areas where it's difficult to follow the trail. I still lose it from time to time and I've hiked it at least half a dozen times. Bring your map and pay attention.

I've been to Zaleski twice now. Started at the Hope Schoolhouse and made it to the first campsite, spent the night and left the next day. The trail is pretty steep past the Schoolhouse so be prepared. I think it's a 900-1,000 ft elevation change, great way to start a hike. A couple of downed trees but hey, you are in the forest.
Heather Rodenborg, just because you struggled to get up the first hill (I made it up the first time in 15 min, first time backpacking as well) and because the outhouse was well, an outhouse, doesn't warrant a poor review. Go dig a trench. Anyone who has hiked any trail in the US would expect some downed trees and not a 100% clear and visible path.
The orange blazes are clearly marked throughout the entire trail. It is very easy to follow. I suggest going in early spring / late fall when the foliage isn't so overwhelming. Good supply of cold water spaced out as well. Have to search a bit for good firewood though.

Monday, September 11, 2017

Great bath. But I would rank this path. Hard! due too the terrain near the swamp before and after ariving the aria. The path just goes steap going up and down. It is a workout! the only even surface is at the campgrounds. Trail is a nice dense forest. You can run the whole trail with 2 litters. there is water pumps at 2 campgrounds. no need to carry extra. be ready to get a challenging pack packing hike. no jock.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The ridgetops were beautiful, but the wetlands were tough to get through enjoyably. Some hills were quite challenging. A lot of downed trees crossing the trail. Water supply was great.

Monday, August 21, 2017

This was our first trip to Zaleski and will be our last. I'm being generous in giving it two stars. We started from the school house point since the park office stated that the iron furnace lot floods when it rains and rain was in the forecast. Well 30 minutes in and we were ready to quit. There is a pretty steep hill that you have to get up and the trail up it sucks. They should have 1) made it a switchback or 2) put in stairs. The trails aren't maintained and this part has washed out due to the rain. It took us a 5-10 to get up because our feet keep sliding since the incline was so steep. We did the whole loop and there were at least 5 huge downed trees on the trail that you either had to try and climb over, take your pack off and climb under, or try and find a way around. Like I said, the trails aren't maintained so these trees have never been cut and taken off the trail, which makes it hard to follow the trail. In fact, one of the trees that went down was a trail marker tree and you could see around or over the down tree which took us a bit to find the trail. We stayed at camp site 1 and 2. The reason I gave 2 stars is because they do provide water and a toilet. However, none of the toilet were clean or have toilet paper. People had pooped on the seats and not cleaned it up, there was a huge hornet nest on camp site 2's toilet, so be prepared. There were a few great views but not enough to bring me back here. So good luck!

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Took us a min to figure out which way to go at the creek bed. Go up, not right. The hills were a good challenge, pack light and even. Camp C was great. There was only one other group this weekend, they beat us to camp and we decided to keep trucking and discovered there are other sites just in the other side of the outhouse, one right off the trail and another further in past that one. Very well spread out, super great trip.

Monday, July 03, 2017

We did the South and Middle loops, and made a stupid mistake heading to the North loop (missed a very obvious marker) and ended up hiking about 4 miles out and back in the wildlife reserve area. Stayed at Camps 2 and 3. Really liked the camps and the water supplies and outhouses at each- good water, really helped lighten the load.

The trails are well marked, except for some of the road crossings. Generally trails were to the left on road crossings. We parked at Hope Schoolhouse and once we exited the woods, before the Furnace, and were trying to find the last stretch to finish, we lost all trail blazes. The maps weren't detailed enough to see where the reentry point was to the trail. It was probably a quarter mile away, off the main road, past the furnace parking area. This was a frustrating thing after 3 days out, when we were tired.

Overall though, nice trails. I'd rate it as moderate/ intermediate. Definitely some butt-kicking hills in places! Some areas were a tad difficult because the foliage is so heavy right now. I would like to go back and do the North loop.

Monday, June 19, 2017

The trail was pretty well marked but very grown over in some spots. Lots of ups and downs, but that made it more fun! We stayed at Camp 1 & Camp 2. Both were very nice, but very open- not ideal for hammocks. The water at the camps is surprisingly good! We went on a hot weekend and still saw quite a few groups. The bugs are horrible so make sure you have a good spray.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

not to bad. camping spots are really open, so hammock camping is based on creativity. trails are well marked and not busy.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Good amount of ups and downs, not too busy overall and well maintained with water spouts make it good for backpacking. Didn't care for the large stone path, rough on the feet but rest is nice. High recommend.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Was a great trip. I can only think of two hills that really took it out of me. The scenery was wonderful but you will want to get a camp site as soon as you can. I was really surprised how fast they fill up.

Saturday, November 12, 2016

This trail is rough. Lot's of elevation changes the whole way through. That doesn't affect the natural beauty of it. Get out there early so you can secure a parking spot and a decent campsite.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Completed 3/4 of the day loop, starting at Y and cutting back through King Hollow Rd back to the Hope Furnace parking lot. The trail is great with the 4.5 mile leg being pretty deserted, the parking lots were full to the brim but only passed 6 people on the trail. That being said there is very little scenery to view and was overall a pretty boring hike. There is a great vista view at about mile 5 going counter-clockwise but the vegetation is so thick you can't really see it. There are many steep uphills with little footholds but this just makes the trail more challenging. Less traveled sections have trees over the trail and it can be quite narrow in places. Make sure you have a newer map before heading out, mine was older without realizing it and had location markers with different letters than what is actually on the ground. Hope Furnace trailhead should be point X not A. This created a lot of confusion on where we were and where water was located. That being said water pumps are clearly marked on the trail and campsites were large and realitively flat. There are 3 within the first 7 miles and are marked C, backpacker camp 1 and 2. Overall an okay 10 mile trip.

Friday, September 16, 2016

I have taken several overnight trips here. There is a new backpacking trail head near the Hope Schoolhouse. A video of my most recent trip, showing the new trail head, can be found on my YouTube channel at the link below.

Here is another video from 2015.

It's a nice place to go backpacking for a quick overnight trip.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Backpacked 5ish miles in and camped over night and then another 5ish out. The trails are well taken care for the most part. Crossed a lot of water on the way out as we took a different way. If you don't have a map you can end up taking a wrong trial and inadvertently double the length of your trip. The camping area is pretty large but still filled to the brim with others by evening. Good practice trail if your looking to build up to something more. You will get a workout.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

We stayed at camp 2. The trails are well marked, and they had maps at the trail head( we also printed a few off before we arrived, which I recommend doing as there are not a lot ). The trails are pretty well taken care of. We did 14 miles, and were planning on staying a second night until a big thunderstorm came in, I hate wet gear and being cooped up in the tent. The water sources were a very nice feature. The backpack campsites were nice and roomy. I hear they fill up on the weekends. All in all I will definitely be back! There is a lot of cool things to see!

* I lost a pair of grey Gander Mountain zip-off hiking pants there if anyone finds them, message me please!

Sunday, July 17, 2016

did 10 mile loop. the trail is ok. the worst part was the access road part of the trail. it will fatigue your feet fast. we did the loop in one day. we where gonna stay at sight 3 but seem to have heavy traffic. so we just walk back to parking lot. Good thing too because there where alot of hikers just heading in. to busy for my taste. no good scenery.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Awesome, but beware, there was a detour. No signs out, however what was supposed to be a 10 mile loop turned into 17 miles. The detour trail just stopped and we had to make our way out to the road and walk the last mile back.