Zaleski Extended Loop

moderate 15 reviews

Zaleski Extended Loop is a 16.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mc Arthur, Ohio that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 16.4 miles Elevation Gain: 2,050 feet Route Type: Loop

The trail on the Middle Loop is closed from Point X to Point N by the forestry department. You can’t make the complete middle loop (still closed on October 2019). We parked at the Hope Furnace, hiked the South Loop, and continued on the Middle Loop to Camp 3. In the morning, we backtracked down the Middle Loop to point K and took the cutoff trail back to the parking lot. According to the GPS, it was around 18.5 miles. There were several people camping at Camp 3, but there were plenty of open spots. The trail was clearly marked, and signs made the routes easy to follow. Great place for a fall hike.

Completed this loop after a day on the south loop. It offers a nice change of pace from the south ridge line trail as a large section follows a stream through the valley. There are several stream crossing so I would suggest waterproof hiking boots.

Thu Sep 20 2018

Really enjoyed this. We backpacked and spent one night on the trail. Plenty of scenery changes between the different loop sections. Highly recommended if you're looking for good backpacking in Ohio.

Mon Aug 20 2018

Currently laying in a hammock on this trail at campsite three. Excellent views but mildly freaked out about coyotes but I can hear them, which is cool at the same time.

Sat Jun 02 2018

I attempted this route yesterday. Parked at Hope Furnace. Walked across street to get a free trail map and headed off. Day after a rain I expected trails to be muddy. They were muddy and the trail is overgrown but not ‘thick’. Some spots are a bit thick but most is runable. Mistakes I made were not downloading the GPX file to my watch. Not remembering my AT&T service is dead in this area of Ohio. I forgot to bring calf compression sleeves to protect shins from thorns and weeds. Plenty of friendly backpackers out on trails. Tried as best as I could but ended up missing a turn past point Q and started following yellow painted markings not orange. Popped out on 278 about 3 miles north of Hope Furnace. Hiked and ran back to the car. If you don’t mind stepping over logs, dirty trail shoes, rubbing shrubbery, or getting dirty these are fun single track trails which you can combine to make longer runs. Saw one snake. Had plenty of tiny streams to wash my arms and legs off and dump water on my head. I want to go back and do the sections I missed.

Sat Oct 07 2017

Love it! Yes there are downed trees, yes it’s difficult to climb with a pack but it’s not supposed to be easy. I passed a dad and three kids today ranging in age from 16-9 so it’s achievable. Get to camp early though because it can be crowded on weekends. Even at that people are respectful and are quiet as soon as the sun sets.

Sun Dec 02 2018