Zaleski Extended Loop

Zaleski Extended Loop is a 16.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brown, Ohio that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2050 feet

I attempted this route yesterday. Parked at Hope Furnace. Walked across street to get a free trail map and headed off. Day after a rain I expected trails to be muddy. They were muddy and the trail is overgrown but not ‘thick’. Some spots are a bit thick but most is runable. Mistakes I made were not downloading the GPX file to my watch. Not remembering my AT&T service is dead in this area of Ohio. I forgot to bring calf compression sleeves to protect shins from thorns and weeds.
Plenty of friendly backpackers out on trails.
Tried as best as I could but ended up missing a turn past point Q and started following yellow painted markings not orange. Popped out on 278 about 3 miles north of Hope Furnace. Hiked and ran back to the car.
If you don’t mind stepping over logs, dirty trail shoes, rubbing shrubbery, or getting dirty these are fun single track trails which you can combine to make longer runs. Saw one snake. Had plenty of tiny streams to wash my arms and legs off and dump water on my head.
I want to go back and do the sections I missed.

Love it! Yes there are downed trees, yes it’s difficult to climb with a pack but it’s not supposed to be easy. I passed a dad and three kids today ranging in age from 16-9 so it’s achievable. Get to camp early though because it can be crowded on weekends. Even at that people are respectful and are quiet as soon as the sun sets.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014