This was my first time backpacking and was in fact the longest hike (did the long loop) I’ve ever taken in my life and I must say big mistake! It seems to me that I was a little too ambitious for my first time out and my leg gave up in the last two miles. Oh did I mention that I did this solo? Oopsie! I was able to limp my way out but lesson learned. I hope you like mud because there was a plenty of that and more. The trail was also pretty overgrown in mid July so expect plenty of brush and check for ticks often. I did encounter one but I caught it before I got bitten. Don’t get me started on the spider webs yuck! Even when swinging a trecking pole in front of me they’d still end up in my face.

I’d recommend getting some trail legs before attempting. I also managed to lose my Thermarest self inflating sleeping pad, I could have sworn I had it strapped down tightly but is still fell out without me noticing. Tried driving back to the campsite since it was about 1,000 feet from the road but nope, my cramping legs just weren’t having it. I didn’t find out till I got there but the board said not to drink the water due too activity (I assume agriculture byproducts?) in the area and you must pack in all water. Turned out 3 liters is not enough. To the people who left behind their extra water jugs, you are life savers! I’d say plan on 5-6 liters minimum.

Over all I had a good time and I learned some harsh lessons the hard way but if you’re up for the challenge I’d say go for it! Would I do it again? Yes but only after I get in better shape.