The West Woods

The West Woods is a 4.6 mile loop trail located near Newbury, Ohio and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Honestly this place was okay. It seems like it would be super busy on warmer days and in the fall. Only a few parts seem like you get away from the road and away from screaming children. I guess when I hike I like to be isolated away from roads and people. Has a nice little museum type discovery place with flushable toilets so that was nice. The trail is super wide and free of roots. The trail to Ansels cave was clear up to the point of the long loop and then became very muddy and tons of roots. The cave wasn't even a cave. It was just a little waterfall between some boulders. Still though it was nice but not a cave you put up signs for. They don't let you on them at all or around them. Hike was just ummmm okay :/ Also it was 5 miles on my walking pedometer not 4.6 miles.

Two options. My pup and I will start with the Ansel Cave trail because it’s shorter and some decent hills and terrain. Then we will end with the long Pioneer Bridle trail. Loooveee the trail, but hate how about 30% of it is either right next to the road or in someone’s very expensive backyard. Decent hills and pretty surroundings.

Affelder link is a must to see an awesome waterfall.

Nice, well maintained trail. Especially enjoyed the trail at Ansel’s Cave, very scenic and pretty.

Hiked this 3 days ago, I also found it to be 5. 2 miles. Very nice hike.

This is a great hike. It is actually two trails together, Ansel's Cave and Pioneer Bridle. Beautiful to hike, some hills and tree roots. I would recommend poles if you hike fast. I found it to be 5.2m with link.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Beautiful area, the hike to Ansel cave was a good distance. Got to feed the chickadees out by the sunset scenic lookout

Sunday, July 09, 2017

The cave area of the hike was definitely worth the trip, the rest of the hike was unremarkable. It was a good family hike though and I'll definitely bring more people on this hike in the future. Moderate traffic on a Sunday afternoon, plenty of people out with their dogs.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Beautiful park and the trails are well maintained!

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Cinder and gravel make this a good trail when others are wet. Hike through the woods with several creeks and rock formations.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great park with great scenery. I hiked Half of pioneer bridge, all of discovery trail, and the falls trail. This park would be more stimulating I imagine if it had rained recently as there are gorges, creeks, and falls that were mostly dry during my visit. The Sunset Overlook is scenic, but does not have a feasible view to watch the sunset as there's no visible horizon. Pioneer bridge is not marked very well which led me to take a connector trail instead. I blame myself for that, but I noticed lack of markings as well. DO NOT USE THE DIRECTIONS IN APPLE MAPS GIVEN BY ALL TRAILS. Look the name of the park up separately, it took me to a random culdesac and told me to walk, I then searched it on my phone and drove an additional 2.5 miles. Overall I recommended this park!

Friday, March 04, 2016

Perfect!

Thursday, July 17, 2014

A great (and frequent) stop for hiking, trail running, and dog walking. Bridle trail loop is about 2.75 miles with lots of variety and a great stream crossing and some fairly serious hill work.

Wednesday, October 02, 2013

I like how kept away it is from the high way and how deep the trails go. Driving through Amish country to get there was kind of fun too. lol I ran the Cave trail, which was a quick 2 mile. The catch is you have to jump over and around a lot of tree roots just to cover a few feet of trail. You could be a running back for the Browns after dodging the roots for at least a mile. Very earthy, pretty, challenging, and fun bridges and uphill/downhill. I tried Pioneer Bridle, but it isn't very well marked and is more suitable for advanced runners.

Monday, August 19, 2013

Nice trail and easy access

Friday, February 22, 2013

There are more like 10 miles of trail total at the West Woods (Head Quarters of the Geauga Park District) - all in great shape. It is an excellent place to get in shape for that hiking trip, or just enjoy a day in nature....

The 'cave' is really a cleft - and you can't get right into it anymore except on special hikes... but there is graffiti from the 1800's on the rock face that is now fascinating to see...

Look in the vernal pools for snakes, turtles, dragonflies and ducks of all sorts!!

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

This was a really nice area, however, there were way too many rules signs along the trails. I was hoping to get to the caves mentioned on their website, but you weren't allowed off a boardwalk, with threats of prosecution. There are lots of other places that allow way more freedom...

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ansels Cave was a pretty good trail! Worth the trip! Beautiful in the snow.