Sugarloaf Mountain Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(64)
Great Seal State Park

Sugarloaf Mountain Loop Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Chillicothe, Ohio that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 475 feet Route Type: Loop

A part of Great Seal State Park near Chillicothe, OH. You can hike this trail year round, yet the Campground parking area is closed from December 1st to March 1st. You can still make your way to the trail head from other parts of the park for a great winter hike up Sugarloaf Mountain. 4908 Marietta Road Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

Fun hike! I think calling it moderate is fair. Definitely some steep parts, but nothing treacherous. A lot of hills. Pretty wildflowers, but no great views.

I agree with other reviews that said this is more difficult than moderate. I thought I was going to wipe out going down more than one muddy hill. Next stop--new shoes! I think trail runners are a must for this one. There is NO way I would attempt this with younger kids.

no one was on the trail when I was there. 87lbs on me. it was tiring very good wish it was longer.

This was a great trail from start to finish. A lot of ups and downs to begin, and then the steep climbs begin once you rounded the corner toward the summit. There were a couple of false summits, which is frequently disheartening, but this time you could see where the actual summit was after them, so no big deal. The trail is in great shape with a few tiny mighty stream crossings, and plenty of opportunity for the kids to scramble and climb. I would love to see this hike during the autumn with all the colors.

Great cardio! Garmin registered 65 flights of stairs up and down..I felt the trails were marked pretty.. saw no one on the trail.. several cars in parking lot.

As a lot of comments say, this has some serious incline and decline. If it wasn’t a 2 mile trail it would definitely be rated difficult. Most strenuous I’ve found in Ohio yet and lots of fun. Also connects to several more hilly trails to extend the hike. Very dog friendly and well maintained. Small areas were wet from yesterday’s rain but in general the ground was dry

I, like many other people in the reviews, did not realize how steep and strenuous the hill was. I had to turn around. Not the trail to do when you decide to up the weight you are carrying to get use to carrying a backpack. (I am trying to build myself up to backpacking and back country hiking/ camping) Just beware it is more on the difficult side than moderate. The trail was well marked. I didn't have any trouble finding or following the trail and the trail signs.

I didn’t realize how steep of a trail this was going to be. When I finally made it to the top and went down hill we had to go up another hill and I didn’t think I was going to make it lol. Definitely a trail for someone who has the cardio and calves to make it up the hill without stopping 100x like I had to. When you climb to the top there is no view, which Is a little disappointing. It is also a little hard to see the markers on the trees, and it is very steep downhill.

Overall very good trail - great cardio workout. Several of the inclines are pretty steep. Probably best to have some poles

Strenuous ascent with clearer markings than I expected to find after reading the comments. Got caught in a downpour for the descent which was pretty steep and required utilizing the trees for some footing help. Dog was whooped before we even summited which felt like a great success. Parked at the disc golf parking area and walked over to the camp ground where the trailhead was due to it being closed for the winter.

It seems like this is on the very edge of moderate...even with hiking poles you may likely slip down the steep trail coming back from the top.

Great trail! It's well-marked and maintained. The middle section is quite a workout; steep climb and not many switchbacks. I imagine the view from the top is better in the late fall/ early spring when the trees aren't so full, but a great hike regardless!

We took this brief hike to try out new backpacks and trekking poles. I was glad to have the poles! There are some steep uphills and downhills.

Moderate is an understatement. It is quite a climb. Very secluded- I’ve done this trail 2x in the past month and I’ve been the only one out here. Use the app because it’s not well marked (yellow is Sugarloaf loop).

Sun Apr 14 2019

Definitely the hard side of moderate, with a steep climb to the summit. I had to stop frequently to catch my breath. Sadly, there is not much of a view up there, but at least in spring, it was neat to see, as I ascended, how the surroundings went from the brown, sere winter scenery to the gentle greens and first wild flowers of spring. I expect you get a similar effect in fall coloration as well.

Sun Oct 07 2018

Beware that this a hard trail even thought it is rated as moderate. I would say definitely go for the conditioning. The uphill section is very steep. To make this even more challenging the terrain is extremely uneven and there are loose rocks/nuts on the ground, making steep elevation changes a little tricky. The only drawback to this trail is that I found the scenery extremely monotonous. And also watch out for horse poop on the trail.

Sat Jun 02 2018

Although the first quarter mile has brush creeping into the narrow trail and lots of horse poo, it quickly clears and widens before the ascent begins. Take a left at trail marker A for the best challenge. I would rate this trail difficult due to the incredibly steep incline, but it's excellent training for the Smokies! I'll definitely be going back!

Tue Nov 28 2017

While I really enjoyed this hike, Moderate in not how I would describe it. It is really hard, I thought, and with the leaves and tree nuts on the ground, it was like walking on ball bearings. I found myself on my behind more than once. But it really was beautiful for a late November day, we saw 5 deer, a couple of woodpeckers and piles of squirrels. And our dog had a blast.

Tue Aug 29 2017

Decent area for a trail run, lots of up and down , but the trail was fairly clear. We saw a lot of deer, both on the way in and while hiking. Very private and secluded, HOT in the summer with humidity.

Thu Jun 08 2017

Challenging steepness on the ascent but worth it.

Sat Dec 10 2016

Enjoyable hike with a burst of strenuous activity about midway through. Ascend Sugarloaf Mountain for a challenge that will leave you sweating on the coldest of days. Reach the top for some great glimpses of the surrounding foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Bring a hammock in the milder months and enjoy a nice breeze and a nap. For this hike, it was a cold day (~25 F) and still enjoyed it all!