Sugarloaf Mountain Loop Trail

Sugarloaf Mountain Loop Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Delano, Ohio that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A part of Great Seal State Park near Chillicothe, OH. You can hike this trail year round, yet the Campground parking area is closed from December 1st to March 1st. You can still make your way to the trail head from other parts of the park for a great winter hike up Sugarloaf Mountain. 4908 Marietta Road Chillicothe, Ohio 45601

Although the first quarter mile has brush creeping into the narrow trail and lots of horse poo, it quickly clears and widens before the ascent begins. Take a left at trail marker A for the best challenge. I would rate this trail difficult due to the incredibly steep incline, but it's excellent training for the Smokies! I'll definitely be going back!

While I really enjoyed this hike, Moderate in not how I would describe it. It is really hard, I thought, and with the leaves and tree nuts on the ground, it was like walking on ball bearings. I found myself on my behind more than once. But it really was beautiful for a late November day, we saw 5 deer, a couple of woodpeckers and piles of squirrels. And our dog had a blast.

Decent area for a trail run, lots of up and down , but the trail was fairly clear. We saw a lot of deer, both on the way in and while hiking. Very private and secluded, HOT in the summer with humidity.

Thursday, June 08, 2017

Challenging steepness on the ascent but worth it.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Enjoyable hike with a burst of strenuous activity about midway through. Ascend Sugarloaf Mountain for a challenge that will leave you sweating on the coldest of days. Reach the top for some great glimpses of the surrounding foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Bring a hammock in the milder months and enjoy a nice breeze and a nap. For this hike, it was a cold day (~25 F) and still enjoyed it all!

recorded Sugarloaf Mountain