Red MTB and Sugar Bush Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(141)
Mill Stream Run Reservation

Red MTB and Sugar Bush Loop is a 3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Strongsville, Ohio that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 193 feet Route Type: Loop

bridge out

This rolling trail winds through forest with a variety of trees from pines to oak, along with a few forest openings.

Highly recommended for trail runners. Lots of overgrown single track with fun downhill turns. Extremely wet after today’s rain, which made it even more fun. Prob not a good starter/noob trail.

Trail was awesome. Plenty of ups and downs. Washed out in one area which was confusing but overall the trail had good signage and followed the map. Would recommend boots it is muddy in areas and at areas it is small passage.

Good landscape variation and hills. Trail was in immaculate condition considering it’s mud season

I enjoyed my hike today! It was a bit confusing to follow at times and there is good cell service so I could follow the map. There is one area that is washed out and you have to cross water. Muddy, and fun. Waterproof foot wear is a must.

Beautiful view of the river for a good portion of the trail!

I liked the trail. Limited signs in a few areas that could get you lost or off trail. I added more to the route, which was nice to have that option.

Found this treasure in 2018. Just came back again with a group for an evening hike .And then again 3 days later with my daughter. It is tucked in such a way that you really feel like you are far away from busy streets and businesses. A great trail to take at a slow walk or at a faster pace for a good workout. I'm debating taking a run on it. Haven't decided due to the many many roots that present tripping hazards.

Don’t get me wrong I had a great time. But like other reviews my partner and I ended up getting lost and it gets quite dark quickly. The trail can be somewhat confusing and we followed a trail that eventually led us off trail. Also (I’m assuming due to current weather and the surplus of storms) a lot of trees had fallen down. Only one or two on the path which wasn’t a problem but could be for some.

Mon May 27 2019

Fri Sep 28 2018

This trail is quite difficult unless you are a skilled mountain biker. Offers a dirt surface with a moderate amount of exposed tree roots as well as plenty of rocks along with narrow passageways creating an obstacle course of dodging and weaving. This trail is quite adventurous but probably better suited for hiking. A good amount of overhead canopy with some wildlife including several deer and a few scenic creeks and ponds.

Sat Aug 11 2018

I liked it. Beware that plenty of hikers do not keep their dogs on a leash on the sugar bush part of the trail...so if that blatant disregard for metro park policy bother you, now you are forewarned!

Wed May 30 2018

confusing. thankfully I had my phone to use as a GPS. the trails run into eachother.

Sun Sep 17 2017

As a few others have said, it is a nice set of trails but somewhat confusing. We ended up on a few different trails. We brought our dogs (both over 80lbs) and there were lots of tree hurdles they loved jumping over! Was a little more challenging with dogs, otherwise we would have gone further. Great hike though! Not heavily traveled which was nice. Will do again!

Wed Aug 16 2017

A little confusing when it hits the yellow trail so we just turned left on yellow and went yellow back. 4 miles exactly. Nice trail.

Mon Aug 14 2017

This was a lovely hike that was nice and quiet and pretty. I did find the trail a bit confusing though. At the trail head it says the trail is something like 1.18miles, but I think that is just one way. When you get to the old sugar shack (a stone footprint of a building and chimney) you have reached (I think) the farthest point, so if you walk towards and over the mountain biking board walk that will get you to the rest of the hike loop to go back to the trail head. Or if you came from that way, go over the board walk and look for the foot path across from the sugar shack. It's not as easy to spot as the mountain bike trail.

Wed Aug 02 2017

Not too easy, not too hard. I also thought the trail was a little confusing - ended up doing half yellow MTB trail and half red/sugarbush trail for about 3.5 miles. I liked that the terrain was slightly more primitive and the mature trees kept the trails well-shaded.

Tue Jul 18 2017

Nice hike. We walk to where the bike trail intersects and turn back. Not a lot of people on this path. Trails do ride a little close to the edge of a steep hill so be safe with little ones.

Wed Jul 05 2017

Good hike, especially if you want to move fast. Trails are well maintained. Be alert of mountain bikers though when sharing the trail, so refrain from using headphones as a courtesy to them.

Sun Jul 02 2017

I found this trail to be slightly confusing. I will preface by saying this could totally be my fault and not the fault of the trail. Using AllTrails in conjunction with Apple Maps, I'm assuming my entry point was accurate, but maybe it wasn't. It looks like there are three trails here. I set out to do Sugar Bush Trail and apparently ended up doing part Sugar Bush, part Royalview, and part of the Red MTB Trail for a total of 7.6 miles hiked. That said, a word of caution because it can be easy to get off track and on another trail. Regardless, I still found this to be a great trail. Although I got lost, it was still a pleasant hike with some beautiful scenery. The trail was muddy in some spots but overall pretty dry. I would recommend this trail and plan on heading back.

Thu Jun 29 2017

great!

Mon Feb 13 2017

I have hiked this trail and the others at Royalview. Easy little hike, some cool spots for pictures.

Fri Sep 09 2016

this is a system of trails, one of my favorite local spots! come here a lot!