Twin Creek Orange Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(264)
Twin Creek Metro Park

Twin Creek Orange Loop Trail is a 6.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Franklin, Ohio that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.2 miles Elevation Gain: 672 feet Route Type: Loop

historic site

Another great trail from the Dayton/Five Rivers MetroParks system. This is a nice hike with creek side views, a forested ridgeline, and many rugged ravines. The Orange trail is the outer loop at Twin Creek MetroPark. The eastern half of the loop follows Twin Creek along the valley floor and the western half follows the ridgeline above the creek. Three 100 foot climbs as the western half of the trail follows the ridge and ravines along the western edge of the Twin Creek valley add some challenge to this hike. The creek bottom half of the trail can be quite muddy after a big rain, though the trail is well maintained, like all the MetroPark system trails.

Love this trail! It was the perfect combination of in the woods and out in the sunlight. There was good elevation to climb. It was muddy in spots however they were nice walk around of the mud. Great trail for dogs in a lot a little natural creeks running. This may be one of my favorite trails I’ve been on in the last few months.

Very well marked trail. I did this trail on the Sunday before Memorial Day and even though there was no rain for 2 days, it was still very very muddy from the previous rain we've had. That being said, I was amazed at people doing the trail in flip flops! My Keens were muddy as heck - I can't imagine walking it in slides or sandals! I even encountered a baby stroller! (it's not a paved trail folks!) All in all it took just over 2 1/2 hours.

It was my first time out, but it’s a great trail! Well marked and easy to follow. Some steep uphills, but worth it!

Trail was very well marked. Lots of benches along the way. Very muddy but high levels of rain this week so that was to be expected. Loved the challenge of the ups and downs.

What a fun hike. Several different types of terrain throughout. Some challenging steep hills along the ridge, a few creek crossings. Pretty muddy but we didn't mind too much.

Muddy in parts but easy to avoid. Looks like it will dry out well if the rains stop. Nice loop for trail running. A few steep hills to walk (for me) but pretty, well marked trail. I’ll be back.

What a great trail! Lots of different vegetation and scenery from river-fronts to prairies and shady forests. Only con was a small portion of the trail towards the end that was very muddy and under construction. Aside from the mud, we had a wonderful time!

Very good trail. A lot of wooded area and a couple open fields. Some steep hills. Nice scenery with the woods, Twin Creek, and a hilltop overlooking the area.

Good trail markings. Nice rigorous trail.

One of our favorite local trails. A bit muddy and washed out as expected with all the rain we’ve had.

flooded

Well marked options. The orange trail had was impassable due to flooding. I imagine it’s a cool trail when dry. Will try in better weather. Having to backtrack a couple of times meant we got our miles in anyway.

Had the whole place to myself this morning. Several muddy areas, but still passable. Not many breathtaking views or anything... but one of the best marked trails I've seen lately.

It was really fun. Pretty quiet. Decent views. Bring your boots!!

Excellent trail, about as muddy as you would expect from a creek trail. A river, pond, multiple creek crossings, and beautiful views of the forest hills. Boots are necessary

very nice trail a little muddy right now but has great views and ups and downs.

flooded

Great trail but a muddy, muddy mess right now. The one trailhead is also under construction so what is already muddy becomes nearly impassable.

Frozen mud made for a not-so-muddy hike, but higher water made the lower fords tricky, one creek was too deep to be forded so had to cut the trail short and use the red trail partway. Otherwise a good rugged hike with some good climbs for exercise, alternating with flat spots. Nice features enroute area pond and prairies, with a nice panoramic view at the northern end of the hike.

Nice trail easy hike.

Great trial to enjoy the autem.

A beautiful and wonderful trail with a variety of terrain and sights. One of my favorite trails so far.

Twin creek metro park entrance. 6 mile loop

Great trail. Very well marked and maintained. Mix of woods and open meadows towards the east side near the creek.

You could definitely take this trail quicker but we let our 4-year-old set the pace. A nice comfortable walk through the forest. Some steep sections but we saw people running as well as hiking so it’s not too bad. The lower section was very dry, I’ve been on this trail in spring when it’s muddy and impassible but that’s what the Blue Trail is for, to avoid the lower section when it’s wet. A beautiful day and a beautiful hike!

I’ve hiked this trail many times. It is one of my favorite of the Five Rivers MetroPark system. Yesterday was the driest I’ve ever seen. Highly recommend it.

Moderate to difficult in spots. Trail is well marked and easy to follow. Unfortunately someone has been riding a horse on the trail even though it clearly marked “No horses “. Had to dodge several piles of horse dung.