Orange Loop Trail

Orange Loop Trail is a 6.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Franklin, Ohio that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

historic site

Another great trail from the Dayton/Five Rivers MetroParks system. This is a nice hike with creek side views, a forested ridgeline, and many rugged ravines. The Orange trail is the outer loop at Twin Creek MetroPark. The eastern half of the loop follows Twin Creek along the valley floor and the western half follows the ridgeline above the creek. Three 100 foot climbs as the western half of the trail follows the ridge and ravines along the western edge of the Twin Creek valley add some challenge to this hike. The creek bottom half of the trail can be quite muddy after a big rain, though the trail is well maintained, like all the MetroPark system trails.

Great hike. Can’t wait to do it again.

I love this place! It’s my go to hike! No where better in my eyes

Love this place

Very well marked trails, easy to follow. A few ups and downs, but overall easy trail and can complete in less than 2 hours.

I love this trail, go all the time with the dogs.

BEWARE! My car was broken into as my son and I were hiking here. I had nothing in sight sitting my my car and they busted out my widow and went through everything. According the the police officer, it happens frequently here. I was also advised by a fellow hiker there was a child missing in the woods while we were there. Didn't give us good vibes.
The trail I will say wasn't bad. We did the Yellow loop but I wouldn't chance going here ever again!

Nice hike with access to water. Dog loved it. Met very few people (3) during the hike.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

really pretty trail. lots of different terrain keeps it interesting

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

I really enjoy this lightly trafficked trail. Sometimes I cut the trail in half by starting at Dogfish pond and loop around either north or south. Some challenging hills with rewarding views of the ravines. Often muddy in spots so I usually wear rubber boots. Highly recommend.

Friday, June 09, 2017

I start at the southern end off Chamberlain Rd. and hike counterclockwise. This puts the river views first, lunch at the northern most end, and the old growth last.
It gets pretty tough the last 2 miles or so, enabling a really nice appreciation for the old growth woods.

I would love a companion hiker here...

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Great trail. Mostly in shade, with some pretty meadows. Lots of mud today, after a week of storms. I enjoyed the ravines. Very nice.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

I trail run so this review is from a runners point of view. I have run the orange trail 3 times and really enjoy the varying terrain. The yellow trail has just enough hills to make it a bit challenging. I would rate it as moderate for trail running. Can be quite muddy if you run within 24 hours of rain. Be sure to go left when you hit the pond on the way back. It's easy to miss.

Friday, March 03, 2017

Wife and I did the Orange Trail today. We were kind of expecting the bottoms to be a swamp from the recent rain but it was just moderately muddy in places. We started at the southern trailhead on Chamberlain Rd and hiked counter clockwise putting us alongside the river for the first half of the hike. The Earthworks were very interesting to see, as were the many deep revines. The river views were nice and I found a few places that I want to hike back to with a backpacking rod-n-reel to do a little fishing during the summer. We stopped at the north end of the trail at the High View Trailhead for a little break and a snack. Our snacks today were cheddar cheese block, canned herring in olive oil and a couple boiled eggs. Our little lunch break was a short 15 minutes and including the break, we finished the 6.2 miles in 3 hours and 14 minutes. We were not in a hurry but rather were taking our time and taking in the scenery and photo's. I would recommend this hike as it offered great scenery and was moderately challenging. I'd say the last 2 miles were the most challenging with the deep ravines.

Monday, September 26, 2016

Great trail- well maintained- well marked

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

I really like this trail. Most of the trail is easy to moderate, though there are a couple of rugged areas. There's different types of terrain that makes this trail interesting.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great trail. Some challenging ups. Beautiful. Quiet.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

can be confusing if you dont grab a map, but very peaceful. it has a very safe vibe. plan to keep going as long as we live near it! something new to see each time we go!

Friday, July 01, 2016

Trails were great! Little mud, most spots have walk around trails. Loved the remoteness feeling and elevation changes. A must do!

Thursday, May 26, 2016

I switch between this trail and germantown on a regular basis. Every trail has an energy and twin creek trail feels ancient and desolate even though it's close to homes and farms. Lovely views overlooking Twin Creek and Sunfish Pond. Can be extremely muddy. If you start on the Eby Road main entrance you have an amazing view of the farmlands surrounding germantown/Carlisle/miamisburg.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

A nice longer trail with a feeling of remoteness that quickly disconnects you from modern life. One of my favorites to just "get away."

Sunday, April 12, 2015

we took the orange trail on a warm and sunny april day. it was nice long trail mostly wooded with frequent views of the river. it was a little slick and muddy with the heavy rains we has the previous week. it would be a nice local destination to hike but with the hour drive, this one would be a once a year visit, reserving more time to go places with a more rewarding view. it took us 4 hours to complete the loop.