Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave

Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 9.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near South Bloomingville, Ohio that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

The trail was ok. I wish it was marked better. The cave was beautiful. I went early so that was enjoyable! Towards the end there were TONS of people out hiking! I would say I enjoyed Mohican better but I do like the caves.

Very hot day! The trail and hot spots were crowded, but it did not bother the beauty! A nice moderate hike.

Another great trail in the hocking hills area. A little crowded at the start of the trail but in between the points of interest it’s a nice quiet trail

It’s gorgeous, but I have yet to catch it when it’s not overly busy.

Nothing better in this area. It can even be turned into a loop and backpacked if you talk to the rangers ahead of time;
I would recommend starting from Ash Cave, head to Cedar Falls, then take the rim trail to Old Man’s Cave, and returning by way of the gorge trail

Beautiful scenery but pretty congested with people. Might be better early in the morning or in the evening.

I live fairly close and do this hike at least once a summer with my dogs. I recommend parking at Cedar Falls and hiking from there to Old Mans Cave first. Then hike on a different trail (thus forming a loop) from there back to Cedar Falls. That’s about 6 miles. I stop at this point to give my dogs a break and do a picnic lunch since the car is nearby. Then from there we hike to Ash Cave and back (another 6 mile round trip but not a loop trail). That makes a total of about 12 miles for the day. It gives both the dogs and me a good workout for the day.

Had a great time

Loved the views and the beautiful rocks.

Best hike in the Hocking Hills. Personally, I would call it moderate in difficulty.

Love this place

Beautiful!

Great views between rocks, caves, waterfalls, etc. it was pretty heavily trafficked on a weekend day but the views made the difference. There are a lot of trail options though which made for great options and variety.

Beautiful area, but like to of people on the weekend. If you can go during the week, I’d do it.

Trails were in good shape even though we’ve had heavy rains lately. A few areas are tricky, but the group of 11 Scouts and 2 younger siblings had no problems. Parking lots are nice and have bathrooms & Water.

Very beautiful scenery. I’ve hiked all of Hocking Hills and this trail is by far my favorite! I don’t think it should be rated as “Hard” though, lol. It is an easy-medium trail.

Gorgeous trail! I went this past Monday when the ice melted and there was a big rain so the waterfalls were full and awe inspiring. Not crowded yet but still muddy make sure you have hiking shoes while the weather is changing. One of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever been on!

Winter sights are pretty cool. A lot of large icecicles. BEWARE*** I went today and all the trails are frozen with at least a inch of solid ice. I slid into the water 4 times and there is nothing to stop the slide once you start. Luckily there was not a large dropoff where I slid. The ice makes it very slow moving because you need to attack certain spots with strategy when it is cliff+ice+downhill. If you are brave you can do it in an hour and a half but you will be wet from the melting ice and the guarantee you will slide into the water. Good luck!

Beautiful scenery! I hiked this trail this summer and for the annual winter hike and it is amazing!

I have spent a lot of my time in this park. I had many classes on these trails as a student at Hocking College and just spent the weekend there for the winter hike.

What can I say other then thank you for keeping this park open! My family loved it. We did every trail and then stayed in the cabins witch were above our Epxt and we will be back!

Very scenic. Rock formations, waterfalls. Various terrain. Very busy on weekends. Much quieter during the week.

I did the full 11 miles. I don't know that I'd categorize it as "hard" except for length. This path takes you through a couple of gravel parking lots, and old gravel service roads. It's really good for a long day hike, because there are also several bathroom stops along the way, and you get to hit three sites. There are a couple of difficult spots near the water features where the sandstone gets wet and slippery, and there's not a great grip. Those are the most challenging parts.

I love this place! I want to go in the fall but never have a chance. A hidden gem in Ohio and lots of stuff to do in the area. Go after a rain because the water areas are beautiful. I wish I could post a picture it is that beautiful!

Great trail, took Grandma's Gateway trail to Ash Cave from the Old Man's Cave Visitor Center and the Buckeye Trail Back. Grandma's trail is wide and mostly flat, I would rate it easy. The Buckeye Trail has some tricky footing and there are areas that look like they are in the process of being re-routed due to trail erosion. So there are some places that have blazes showing to take two different ways. Which ever way you choose you'll end up in the same place. The BT is definitely more on the difficult side but still not horribly difficult so I would rate the trail moderate overall. Do not miss this trail if you are visiting Hocking Hills, Old Man's cave is probably my favorite area to hike in Ohio.

I have gone here a lot of my life, and I absolutely love it. The one problem is that you have a bunch of tourists that walk all over plants and throw rocks at wildlife. Also there’s sometimes traffic jams (of people and cars) because there’s so many people visiting this place. This is why it gets four stars. But you should check it out, it’s pretty spectacular.

A lot of fun, my gps would lose signal on the way there, so make sure you somewhat memorize the roads you need to take. I highly recommend trekking sticks if it has rained recently. I had mine and I still almost fell quit a few time.

Lame sauce. Essentially a fire road

trail is super easy, large crowds... but the scenery is gorgeous, it's even better after a heavy rain

My friend and I came down here for a day and did this 12-mile hike and went to see the Rockhouse afterwards! Great to do for a one day trip because you get to see a lot. Would recommend. Ash cave was my favorite spot!