Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave

Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 10 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near South Bloomingville, Ohio that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

What can I say other then thank you for keeping this park open! My family loved it. We did every trail and then stayed in the cabins witch were above our Epxt and we will be back!

Very scenic. Rock formations, waterfalls. Various terrain. Very busy on weekends. Much quieter during the week.

I did the full 11 miles. I don't know that I'd categorize it as "hard" except for length. This path takes you through a couple of gravel parking lots, and old gravel service roads. It's really good for a long day hike, because there are also several bathroom stops along the way, and you get to hit three sites. There are a couple of difficult spots near the water features where the sandstone gets wet and slippery, and there's not a great grip. Those are the most challenging parts.

It’s AMAZING and quit beautiful at the same time

I love this place! I want to go in the fall but never have a chance. A hidden gem in Ohio and lots of stuff to do in the area. Go after a rain because the water areas are beautiful. I wish I could post a picture it is that beautiful!

Great trail, took Grandma's Gateway trail to Ash Cave from the Old Man's Cave Visitor Center and the Buckeye Trail Back. Grandma's trail is wide and mostly flat, I would rate it easy. The Buckeye Trail has some tricky footing and there are areas that look like they are in the process of being re-routed due to trail erosion. So there are some places that have blazes showing to take two different ways. Which ever way you choose you'll end up in the same place. The BT is definitely more on the difficult side but still not horribly difficult so I would rate the trail moderate overall. Do not miss this trail if you are visiting Hocking Hills, Old Man's cave is probably my favorite area to hike in Ohio.

I have gone here a lot of my life, and I absolutely love it. The one problem is that you have a bunch of tourists that walk all over plants and throw rocks at wildlife. Also there’s sometimes traffic jams (of people and cars) because there’s so many people visiting this place. This is why it gets four stars. But you should check it out, it’s pretty spectacular.

A lot of fun, my gps would lose signal on the way there, so make sure you somewhat memorize the roads you need to take. I highly recommend trekking sticks if it has rained recently. I had mine and I still almost fell quit a few time.

Lame sauce. Essentially a fire road

trail is super easy, large crowds... but the scenery is gorgeous, it's even better after a heavy rain

My friend and I came down here for a day and did this 12-mile hike and went to see the Rockhouse afterwards! Great to do for a one day trip because you get to see a lot. Would recommend. Ash cave was my favorite spot!

The best section of this trail is on the Grandma Gatewood/buckeye trail to cedar falls. This section is very scenic with the most “rugged” terrain. The remaining 3/4 of the trail is fairly easy with several sections covered in small gravel. This trail should not be rated hard. I would rate it easy with the section above moderate. Make sure to get there early if you are looking to hike. The amount of people on this trail can be ridiculous!

Great trail! We navigate this a few times a year. Lots of traffic on the weekend but still well worth it. This portion is as crowded and you can check out whispering cave on the way!

Beautiful gorge and falls. Trail is clearly marked.

I didn't find this to be terribly hard, but it was definitely gorgeous!

Beautiful trail.

Gorgeous trail. Allow plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. Loved doing the gorge trail from Old Man to Cedar Falls. So beautiful. Definitely slightly challenging. Did a total of 10.1 miles.

May 2016. Hiked this trail from old mans cave to cedar falls, then around the lake and up the other side. Beautiful hike and lots of rocks to climb, falls, views. The hoke back is up hill but nice trails.

amazing place to spend the day. very peaceful and relaxing

Really perfect weather for this trail. Get out early as it starts to populate later in the day. The waterfall(s) in the area draw most of the attention for tourism hikes but some real beauty is there between the beaten paths.