Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave

Old Man's Cave to Ash Cave is a 11.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near South Bloomingville, Ohio that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Great trail, I little wet this time of year. There are also a few downed trees between Cedar Falls and Ash Cave.

we've been going here for years! never knew it was considered hard

This was a great trail ... 5 hours and done

We hiked on Tues., Oct. 9th, 10:30a.m. Great trail, but not easy. Hiked Cedar Falls to Rose Lake, to Old Man’s Cave, then Whispering Falls and finished at the entrance to Cedar. 7 mile loop total, and the signs stating the distances between aren’t accurate. Took longer than expected, but there are a lot of roots to navigate your footing on so you don’t twist an ankle. Some muddy and washed out narrow trail spots, and some rock scrambling, but if you take your time and be careful, you’re good. We took our pup and she was able to handle it, but it may be too much for an older/arthritic dog. Beautiful and peaceful for almost the whole hike. Old Man’s Cave and Cedar Falls can be quite busy at times since they are short hikes in from the parking lots.

As other have mentioned, the distance is more like 12 than 10. The south loop from Old Man’s Cave to Cedar Falls was the most scenic and only one small section would I classify as “hard” — otherwise the trail is easy to moderate throughout. Most of the trail is a wide gravel trail with easy ups and downs.

Beautiful hike, would definitely come back.

The gorge trail was amazing. It was like walking through the movie set for Lord of the Rings!

Absolutely loved the trails, the scenery was out standing and you can hike from one trail to the other or drive to a different start point to have shorter hikes to the attractions. will definitely be back.

9.9 miles, not true. I did it today and stayed on the trails, and it came to 12 miles on this app, 12.43 miles on my Samsung Health app which is much more true as I have accurately measured the apps. Love the beauty of this park as any other in Ohio is unmatched. It hasn't rained consistently in a week, thus the waterfalls were dripping and the river was dry in many spots.

Great place. Little packed but what do you expect for Labor Day weekend and how beautiful this place is. Did a little over 7 miles. Old man cave and then cedar falls. Great time and a awesome hike.

I was the 3rd car in the lot this morning. By the time I finished, the police were ticketing all the people who parked off the road. The hike was phenomenal!

Old Man's Cave to Cedar Falls through the long tunnel, then out to Ash Cave and return on the Gorge Overlook. Well worth the drive!

Started at Ash Cave and hiked to Old Man Cave via the ridge line trails. Returned to Ash Cave via the Buckeye Trial (Blue). It is great to see the caves, but those sections are very crowded as others have noted. I would not rate this trial as moderate vs difficult. But for Ohio this is very scenic and diverse hike.

Great hike. Started around 730 and the place was EMPTY. By the time I left it was packed. Glad I got to experience this gorgeous park. Still can’t believe it’s located in Ohio!

The trail is pretty crowded in the beginning and cave areas but otherwise it was nice. Wife and I enjoyed the buckeye trail section the most.

Absolutely beautiful! My 4 year old son saw his first Monarch butterfly of the season on this hike. Lots of fun.

The trail was ok. I wish it was marked better. The cave was beautiful. I went early so that was enjoyable! Towards the end there were TONS of people out hiking! I would say I enjoyed Mohican better but I do like the caves.

Very hot day! The trail and hot spots were crowded, but it did not bother the beauty! A nice moderate hike.

Another great trail in the hocking hills area. A little crowded at the start of the trail but in between the points of interest it’s a nice quiet trail

It’s gorgeous, but I have yet to catch it when it’s not overly busy.

Nothing better in this area. It can even be turned into a loop and backpacked if you talk to the rangers ahead of time;
I would recommend starting from Ash Cave, head to Cedar Falls, then take the rim trail to Old Man’s Cave, and returning by way of the gorge trail

Beautiful scenery but pretty congested with people. Might be better early in the morning or in the evening.

I live fairly close and do this hike at least once a summer with my dogs. I recommend parking at Cedar Falls and hiking from there to Old Mans Cave first. Then hike on a different trail (thus forming a loop) from there back to Cedar Falls. That’s about 6 miles. I stop at this point to give my dogs a break and do a picnic lunch since the car is nearby. Then from there we hike to Ash Cave and back (another 6 mile round trip but not a loop trail). That makes a total of about 12 miles for the day. It gives both the dogs and me a good workout for the day.

Had a great time

Loved the views and the beautiful rocks.

Best hike in the Hocking Hills. Personally, I would call it moderate in difficulty.

Love this place

Beautiful!

Great views between rocks, caves, waterfalls, etc. it was pretty heavily trafficked on a weekend day but the views made the difference. There are a lot of trail options though which made for great options and variety.

Beautiful area, but like to of people on the weekend. If you can go during the week, I’d do it.