Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(88)
Zoar, Ohio

Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath is a 80.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Zoar, Ohio that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, trail running, and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 80.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,217 feet Route Type: Point to Point

partially paved

historic site

Cute little area, I didn’t go too far but the path was well kept/clear and would be great to bring my bike next time. Not the most scenic section but you do get to see old parts of the damn here.

Completed entire length from Zoar to Cleveland in several segments. Lots of variety and very scenic. Some areas can be buggy and flooded at times, depending on rainfall. The trail terminus points in Zoar and Cleveland were a little underwhelming, but the overall trail is great!

closed

The longest trail I’ve done to date. This isn’t for amateurs. Defiantly start from the Zoar side. North Akron will make you regret it if you don’t. Nothing grand to see but still really cool. If I do this again I’ll remember to bring food. I got hungry when there were no restaurants. Not marked well in Bolivar. Always room for improvement. And this isn’t the whole trail. Good luck to the next guy.

The trail was straight forward only issue was bugs and that could have been because of recent flooding and mugginess of day all in all a good hike. The last mile marker I saw was 86 miles for the complete towpath.

Sat Jun 30 2018

It is a terrific trail with great scenery. The most well-marked trail I have ever ridden. The surface was very smooth from Akron all the way to Cleveland. Terry J.

Thu Jun 07 2018

Excellent ride

Sun May 27 2018

This trail is so fun to ride. It’s not so much mountain biking (pretty flat and mostly paved/gravel), but beautiful scenery and fun shops, restaurants, and bars along the way.

Wed May 09 2018

Probably one of my all time favorite trails. I spend so much time here. I love the wildlife. There’s owls. There’s ducks. There’s herons. This trail is amazing. Be aware that the bridge in back of Szalays is out so you have to take a little detour. This is my running trail as well. I wish I could give this place 6 stars. So many wonderful memories here

Fri Mar 30 2018

Beautiful and relaxing with opportunity for hours of riding!

Wed Jul 26 2017

Nice for biking plenty of trails to explore on foot too

Sun Jan 22 2017

Nice hike.

Tue Nov 08 2016

Unless you're on a bike I wouldn't suggest taking this trail. I hiked it and dealt with bikes almost nonstop from both directions.

Sun Oct 09 2016

It was too early for all that but it was a nice ride. The history of these towpaths is fasinating.

Sat Oct 08 2016

A wonderful early morning ride. I love the bridges, train depot and other man made atractions mixed in with nature and history.

Fri Oct 07 2016

I agree with Mairah that the traffic noise takes away from the experience. Other than the traffic noise it was a beautiful ride.

Fri Oct 07 2016

It was a nice bike ride. I only gave it a 3 because of the traffic nearby.

Wed Oct 05 2016

So much cool stuff to see and learn. It was an easy ride on a nice day.

Wed Oct 05 2016

Really nice ride. We only had mountain bikes with us but passed several people on road bikes. A great trip for history buffs.

Thu Sep 29 2016

19.5 miles with 10 trailheads providing access. It is a great way to see the park and get as much exercise as you want. We really enjoyed exploring the trail at the Beaver Marsh/Boardwalk, Peninsula and Boston Visitor Center areas. Luckily our visit coincided with the harvest moon and we were also able to participate in a very popular three mile ranger-led full moon hike on the Towpath north from Boston...very memorable!

Sat Jul 30 2016

Great trail for biking, walking and running. The trail follows the CVNP train and has many places you can stop along side of the trail such as, the beaver marsh, Szalays farm market, Boston mills visitor center and several other locations. It's one of the greatest assets the CVNP has to offer!

Thu Jul 28 2016

I do enjoy this trail but some parts u hear lots of noisy traffic that's not so relaxing . Awesome trail for biking in the fall it's so beautiful I love to take my daughter on my bike

Wed Jul 20 2016

Great! Such a beautiful and fresh area:)

Mon Feb 29 2016

Trails is crushed limestone and about 6 miles long not 18.5 as listed. There is a tunnel under railroad tracks and a bridge over the Tuscarawas River near Rt 212. Trail is fairly flat except for a hill about a mile from Rt 212.

Thu May 21 2015

Very flat walk along the Towpath throughout but some nice scenery along the way. I tend to frequent the trails around the towpath more often as the path itself is usually very congested with bike traffic.

Fri Oct 31 2014

The towpath is quite nice. I actually was able to follow it with any trouble. Would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice scenic trail.

Thu Apr 17 2014

The scenery along the trail was beautiful but the trail itself was very rough riding. Horses, bikes and feet had been on the trail when it was muddy & after it dried, it made for a rough ride!

Sun Aug 11 2013

Great trail ride or walk for all ages along the Historic Erie Canal tow path. Pros: Well marked and maintained. Historic features along the entire path with muliple hiking trail off shoots. Cons: Very crowded most days.

Thu Jun 13 2013

I'be gone from Harvard Rd. in Cleveland to Akron and everywhere in-between! Has many great side trails, fishing spots and various shops and nature centers.