Ohio and Erie Canal Path: Brecksville Station

Ohio and Erie Canal Path: Brecksville Station is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Brecksville, Ohio that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

PLEASE NOTE: This trail connects with a now unofficial trail in the area known as Twin Sisters Falls. The park asks that pedestrians not try to hike this off-trail area. "CVNP resource managers and rangers have noted a huge increase in foot traffic to an area in the park known as Twin Sisters Falls. This area has long been a lightly visited off-trail drainage containing a small waterfall and high quality riparian habitat. Recently, a social trail with ropes and roughly constructed steps has appeared. The area is now, for the first time, littered with trash. This drainage is one of the few riparian zones in the park relatively free of damage and has been used as a baseline for habitat monitoring. Unprecedented resource damage is occurring literally in front of our eyes. We are also very concerned about the potential for injuries to hikers in what has always been a trail-less area. Due to the steep and remote nature of the falls, it is likely that a technical rescue would be necessary to evacuate any non-ambulatory patient. We are requesting persons providing guidance to the public on how to access this trail-less area to voluntarily remove those instructions. A big part of the mission of the National Park Service is to preserve special places. Finding ourselves in the position of having to close an area in order to protect it is very troubling. This request is being made in the spirit of helping the National Park Service fulfill its mission to this and future generations. Any assistance from you would be greatly appreciated. Should you have any questions or concerns or need further information please do not hesitate to contact us at any time, by emailing cuva_social_media@nps.gov or cuva_info@nps.gov."

Wonderful trail, there are mile markers on the trail, very nice trail to enjoy.

This seemed shorter than 2.7 miles! Not difficult, could be challenging for some when climbing over logs blocking the riverbed. There are definitely dogs allowed in the park, despite the tag on this page. The instructions for how to get to the site were super helpful:

Basically you're going to walk under the second bridge and keep going down that trail until you see a sign on the right that says Mudcatcher. Cross the little stream and go up the hill, and there's a path behind the dam. Then follow the riverbed!

The Twin Sisters were more like trickles when we went, but I'm definitely going back in the winter when they are frozen!

Fun, quick hike.

Beautiful views. Fairly easy in our opinion; it was me, my husband and our 1.5y old(the hubs wore her). There was a few trees to climb over, we walked what looked like was once the bottom of the river for some time(probably has more water during heavy rains I’d imagine) some places had a good amount of water. I’d like to do it again when there’s more rain!

Nice hike and had an had an unusual event at the end. There was a guy proposing to his girlfriend She said YES!!

nice challenging hike to get to a beautiful destination

This was a lot of fun and was definitely rewarding at the end. It was a bit busier when we were there but overall great hike. Also remember good hiking shoes because it does get wet and slippery!

one of our favorites to revisit & see how much water is up there. we find it easiest to hike thru the water once you go up where the mud catcher is

Great hike and the twin sisters were great. The smaller stream in front of the mudcatcher was pretty high so I had to cross it closer to the 82 bridge just off the unpaved section of the towpath trail that veers off of the paved trail. The crossing was right before the iron walking bridge before the un paved trail connects with the paved trail again.

let's keep nature preserved.

hope this helps CVNP

instructions down.

I did it in the snow with no visible trail. but very worthwhile.

Difficult hike during 10 degree weather. Amazing and beautiful sight. Make sure you have good boots!

So cool we did it twice in 3 weeks

Easy to get to when the canal is low just cross at the mud at her and to the left slightly,then follow the river bank and it will dead end into the falls. Beautiful find ! With or without water flowing.

No water was flowing which made the hike easier, but it would have been nice to see the sisters

Friday, September 29, 2017

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Fun trail! Thank you to those that posted a review, not sure I would've found it without you! Trail is a riverbed with lots of fallen trees and logs, but keep following it and you will see the falls!

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Really fun hike. Don't make our mistakes though! Walk on the paved path for a little ways (you'll go under the bridge) and look for a sign on the right side of the path that says "Mudcatcher." That's where you cut in and find the small trailhead.

The trail itself was a lot of fun, but very slippery. At the end we found two very weak waterfalls as the Twin Sisters but I'm sure that if we had come when it had rained more recently they'd have been pumpin!

Still a great hike and really not that difficult.

Monday, July 31, 2017

cool trail. the trail is all a river trail. half way through the trail, is blocked by some big logs. But you can climb over it. No problem.
the path is blocked a

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

An adventure not clearly marked but once you find it it's worth it. Bring water shoes or flip flops your feet will get wet. Used this link for navigation https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/akron/comments/2uvqb8/can_someone_tell_me_how_to_get_to_twin_sister/#ampshare=https://www.reddit.com/r/akron/comments/2uvqb8/can_someone_tell_me_how_to_get_to_twin_sister/

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Definitely an adventure! Beautiful and scenic terrain. My small dog had some trouble navigating certain parts but she was easy to carry.

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Isnt clearly marked but you can tell it's a trail. Shoes will get wet. Awesome and not crowded.

Saturday, July 01, 2017

This is a fun hike, but wear shoes that can get wet, because you will get wet. We did this after a night a rain so the falls was pretty cool. We ended up just hiking through the water, which was fun. Make sure you keep on going till you get there. At the end we climbed up the huge hill to get to the top of the falls, but BEWARE YOU WILL GET DIRTY, that was the fun part. Short hike, rated as hard because of all the obstacles you have to hike around, not a clear path.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

A little hard to get to as it is unmarked but other than that it wasn't too difficult. Prepare to walk through water. If you want to get to the top of the falls it is very steep slope.

Friday, June 09, 2017

I would never do this remote trail alone! Getting there was kind of treacherous. You have to balance along the side of a hill that has eroded somewhat due to the recent onslaught of rain. Despite waterproof boots, we ended up with soaked feet thanks to part of the creek being deeper than our boots were high. I took one tumble and soaked myself - the slate is very slippery! On the way back we were able to cross the canal at a lower point. Of course, by this point our feet were already sloshing around in our boots. It is a beautiful, but, short hike.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Really fun trail love that it's off the usual path

Saturday, April 29, 2017

I have been on this Trail many times before in the past can't wait to go again for me the trailer is easy to moderate I don't understand why they say it's hard

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Favorite hike in CVNP! Once you get to the mud catching sign, cross the stream, and there will be a faint path to the left of the mud catching waterfall. The trail leads to the stream bed which you follow all the way back to the falls.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Relatively easy even for a beginner once I was able to locate it. Most challenging part is getting in and out of the unmarked trailhead. Prepare to get wet!

Saturday, March 11, 2017

trail was difficult at times. Crossing over the stream many times was awesome. The falls were absolutely beautiful!! could stand right underneath them.

Friday, March 10, 2017

this was absolutely worth the hike upstream! the falls were absolutely breathtaking. however be careful not to get too close as we watched part of the wall break off and fall two different times!