Oak Openings Hiking Trail

Oak Openings Hiking Trail is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Whitehouse, Ohio that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

The trails are great, but you better be mosquito repellent ready or your run or walk will be shorten. They're the rulers of the park.

Great trails only complaint is some of the low areas are all but impassable after a hard rain. More walkways needed.

Awesome trail. Only issue we had was a confusing yellow marker so we missed a left turn. It was soon after dipping back onto the trail after it runs along beside airport highway, but there was a yellow mark on the tree to the left side near a trail fork but further down a couple tees(heading straight) there was another yellow marker on the right side on a tree. So we went straight, but should have taken a left. Other than that accidental confusing shortcut, it was awesome!

easy ride

Great Park System and Trails not too far out of town. When I lived in the area this was my "go-to" hike. Easy to get around, very well marked, and you will see something new every time! Good to go to anytime of the year.

I did this trail with a couple buddies of mine. We really enjoyed this trail and are definitely planning on going again. The only bad thing was that there were a few parts of the trail that were very flooded, requiring us to go off the trail to get around it. Other than that, the trail was pretty well maintained and reasonably marked. Overall it's a very nice and beautiful trail.

Great spring hike. Water was flowing and trails were not muddy.

My favorite local trail.

Fun, great scenery and easy to hike! Dog friendly.

Fun, great scenery and easy to hike! Dog friendly.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Best little oasis of peace in this area. I could spend days wandering this little park.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

sand dune trail is fun!

Monday, August 22, 2016

The map shown here is wrong. (Although it might be accurate for the paved bicycle trail.) The Oak Openings Trail is closer to a 17 mile long loop. It is bordered on the west and south sides by State Route 64, the north by Airport Highway (State Route 2), and the East by State Route 295. Wooden bridges are plentiful in marshy areas and fallen trees are usually cleared away quickly.

Friday, July 08, 2016

I'm not sure which trail is allegedly 6.2 miles, but this park has a nice collection of trails, mostly accessible from the same parking lot area. Most trails are 1 to 3 miles so you can take one or plan a whole day. I walked the red, orange, and blue marked trails. I'd highly recommend that red and orange trails, both of which allow you to view the only moving sand dunes in Ohio (the sand dunes on the red trail are closed in May and June for birdie babies but you can still view them). I went in daytime during the week and it was not crowded on the trails at all (just a few other people). Oak Openings is a bit far from me, but I'm hoping to go back and see this park in the fall. Gorgeous!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Done all the small loops working up to do the big trail but I love hiking here

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

I love the trails at this park. The trails are maintained and very dog friendly. It can be a little busy on the weekends but during the week it is nice. There are plenty of trails to choose from and lots of wildlife to be seen.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Nice length and well-maintained without being too manicured. Not very interesting terrain but moderate scenic variety. Perfect distance between water fountains and rest areas.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Long trail that I haven't done in it's entirety, but will be doing soon. Nice mix of tree species and scenery, and no one else. Once you get north by Airport Hwy, the trail gets confusing, and I lost it. There are yellow blazes, but some can be misleading.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

I hike this trail last week. The trail was well maintained and offered some beautiful scenery early in my hiking season. Just over 15 miles it took me about 5.5 hours including a lunch break. I will absolutely hike this trail again and again.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

I enjoy the different environments while you hike.