Oak Openings Hiking Trail

Oak Openings Hiking Trail is a 16.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Whitehouse, Ohio that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

The trails are great, but you better be mosquito repellent ready or your run or walk will be shorten. They're the rulers of the park.

Great trails only complaint is some of the low areas are all but impassable after a hard rain. More walkways needed.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Awesome trail. Only issue we had was a confusing yellow marker so we missed a left turn. It was soon after dipping back onto the trail after it runs along beside airport highway, but there was a yellow mark on the tree to the left side near a trail fork but further down a couple tees(heading straight) there was another yellow marker on the right side on a tree. So we went straight, but should have taken a left. Other than that accidental confusing shortcut, it was awesome!

Friday, April 28, 2017

easy ride

Thursday, April 20, 2017

Great Park System and Trails not too far out of town. When I lived in the area this was my "go-to" hike. Easy to get around, very well marked, and you will see something new every time! Good to go to anytime of the year.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

I did this trail with a couple buddies of mine. We really enjoyed this trail and are definitely planning on going again. The only bad thing was that there were a few parts of the trail that were very flooded, requiring us to go off the trail to get around it. Other than that, the trail was pretty well maintained and reasonably marked. Overall it's a very nice and beautiful trail.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Great spring hike. Water was flowing and trails were not muddy.

Friday, March 17, 2017

My favorite local trail.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Fun, great scenery and easy to hike! Dog friendly.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Fun, great scenery and easy to hike! Dog friendly.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Best little oasis of peace in this area. I could spend days wandering this little park.

Sunday, August 28, 2016

sand dune trail is fun!

Monday, August 22, 2016

The map shown here is wrong. (Although it might be accurate for the paved bicycle trail.) The Oak Openings Trail is closer to a 17 mile long loop. It is bordered on the west and south sides by State Route 64, the north by Airport Highway (State Route 2), and the East by State Route 295. Wooden bridges are plentiful in marshy areas and fallen trees are usually cleared away quickly.

Friday, July 08, 2016

I'm not sure which trail is allegedly 6.2 miles, but this park has a nice collection of trails, mostly accessible from the same parking lot area. Most trails are 1 to 3 miles so you can take one or plan a whole day. I walked the red, orange, and blue marked trails. I'd highly recommend that red and orange trails, both of which allow you to view the only moving sand dunes in Ohio (the sand dunes on the red trail are closed in May and June for birdie babies but you can still view them). I went in daytime during the week and it was not crowded on the trails at all (just a few other people). Oak Openings is a bit far from me, but I'm hoping to go back and see this park in the fall. Gorgeous!

Monday, June 27, 2016

Done all the small loops working up to do the big trail but I love hiking here

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

I love the trails at this park. The trails are maintained and very dog friendly. It can be a little busy on the weekends but during the week it is nice. There are plenty of trails to choose from and lots of wildlife to be seen.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Nice length and well-maintained without being too manicured. Not very interesting terrain but moderate scenic variety. Perfect distance between water fountains and rest areas.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Long trail that I haven't done in it's entirety, but will be doing soon. Nice mix of tree species and scenery, and no one else. Once you get north by Airport Hwy, the trail gets confusing, and I lost it. There are yellow blazes, but some can be misleading.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

I hike this trail last week. The trail was well maintained and offered some beautiful scenery early in my hiking season. Just over 15 miles it took me about 5.5 hours including a lunch break. I will absolutely hike this trail again and again.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

I enjoy the different environments while you hike.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I walked the whole 15.11 mile loop. I dedicated several hours to it. It was a lot of fun, but there were a few spots where the markings were difficult to follow. I took a 2L water bladder with me to make sure I stayed hydrated through the hike. There were not many spots to fill up from a water fountain or sink.

Friday, September 04, 2015

There is one large (yellow dash - marked) trail that is 15.11 miles (according to park maps) that surrounds the whole park. To get to it, you have to park or start at a specific point because there are no smaller trails that lead into the big yellow trail.

I hiked parts of all of the smaller trails in the center of the metro park that interconnect with one another. Each one is about 0.6 to 3.2 miles. I hiked about 4 miles, with a buddy of mine, just making choices in the moment of which fork to take. We forgot to get a map to figure out what the different colors and trails are in the center of the park haha.

Saturday, March 08, 2014

This trail is phenomenal! Hit it early in the spring or late summer/early fall to escape the insect swarms on the north section swamps. Also never attempt without talk waterproof boots after it has rained recently. I love taking time off work and going out here, get myself away from everything and lose myself out in the woods. The oak savannahs make me want to just stay forever. Check out the tornado damaged areas on the south sections!

Thursday, November 01, 2012

This trail is NOT for motorized vehicles. That being said, the trail is FABULOUS for hiking. There are several biomes that you pass through on this loop. This is the outer loop called the Oak Openings trail or Scout trail. Very clean, well marked trail. It is not too demanding at all, but there are some areas that are a bit tougher than others. This trail intersects with several other trails including the horse trail which is almost pure sand. There are multiple geocaches along the trail as well. It is also a 16.2 mile trail as marked on the map and on the website, not 17 as listed.

off road driving
Monday, August 27, 2012

Question hoping someone could answer: Does this trail accommodate motorized (off-road) type vehicles - like a gas-powered little quad? My son got a little mini-bike last Christmas & has been begging me to take him to a trail of some kind where he can ride...(as there are limited places he can ride it in our subdivision). I put in the filter "off road" driving trails, & this is the only one that popped up. If anyone could answer this or let me know if there are trails they know of designed for little off-road adventures, please let me know. I just don't want to take him someplace where he'll disturb anyones peace while hiking.
(ALSO-I'D RATE THIS TRAIL WITH MORE THAN 1 STAR BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN ON IT & I CAN'T PUT OUT A QUESTION W/OUT RATING IT...)

Thanks !

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

This is a great trail! It is bisected by the wabash-cannonball trail. There is parking at the east side of the park across the street from the trail head. My wife and I strapped on our hiking packs and did half the trail plus the section of wabash to get us back to the trail head, then the other half about a week later. Saying half is somewhat misleading as it puts you about at 11 miles. Considering the wabash is paved, I would recommend just doing the whole trail and not doing as we did. Walking on pavement is just too hard on the feet. The north half will take you up to airport highway and is more scenic, the south will take you by a lake. Not many people use this trail. I think we only came across a hand full of other hikers on the south half and one each time we hiked the north end.

I would not say this hike is difficult, just long. Pack a lunch and plenty of water.

off road driving
Thursday, February 23, 2012

how are the off road trails? anyone know?

Saturday, October 08, 2011

This trail was great. There are varied terrains so I felt as though I had hiked in several different areas. The trail takes you through a meadow, a sandy dune area, and a pine forest. The midway point does put you on the road for a minute until you get back into the woods.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Nice local trail, love the southern part, north is sometimes a little wet during certain times of year. Have hiked this trail many times with Scouts. Mostly easy hiking. Love the mature Oak trees. Lot's of Owls hooting at night last time I was there several years ago. Makes for a nice long day hike.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

I have not done this particular trail, but this is located at Oak Openings. There are several shorter trails at this location. The trail I used was 2.9 miles.