Lyons Falls Trail to Hemlock Gorge Trail

moderate 77 reviews

Lyons Falls Trail to Hemlock Gorge Trail is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Perrysville, Ohio that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.3 miles Elevation Gain: 515 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

good trail... on pavement for about a mile or so. going up the dam at the end was a bit of a struggle... the waterfall looks much better in the spring, with actual water.

I hike all over the USA and this is one of my favorite easy hikes to do if you stay on the trail. If you are an experienced hiker you can at your own risk jump off the trail and find some pretty hairy areas, like cliffs, steep hills, and rock formations. Be careful because it’s muddy,wet, and slippery off trail.

My favorite trail! It's getting a little rutted out and can be muddy, but I still recommend it. It's a great workout with a variety of terrain.

Nice trail in some spots. I would recommend going the Hogs Hollow trail from the covered bridge first. This is the tougher part of the trail and there is a steep downhill section after the overlook. I would rather go down that than up. As stated below, part of the trail is on the road, maybe 1.5 miles.

Nice trail along the river, a little muddy in places, but not bad

recorded Pleasant Hill Sunday

Not too difficult for jogging, however super muddy which forces you to walk a lot. Don’t wear nice shoes on this one!

Mohican is a great little getaway tucked away in north central Ohio. Two waterfalls to go find!

Nice hike! Trails were moderate, made my own loop in addition to some of these recommendations. Would come back for sure! Learned a few things on the trail, being a new hiker. little muddy, but manageable this time of year, Mid March

Mon Sep 24 2018

Pretty trail along the river. The waterfall was pretty underwhelming when we went but I imagine it would be prettier in the spring or after a huge rain storm. Agree that it was moderate. There were spots with elevation change and scrambling over rocks, but nothing too difficult.

Mon Apr 23 2018

The river was so pretty Falls were somewhat underwhelming The hike back was hard ! Good workout to climb up

Sun Mar 18 2018

We went while it was snowing... so a handful of places were icy. It was beautiful, very quiet and a fun adventure to start our day! It was marked very well. I can only imagine how beautiful it is during the fall!! We only did the big/little Lyon Falls. Then back to the cover bridge and down to hog hollow! Can’t wait to come back.

Sun Oct 01 2017

Easy trail to the falls. Heavily used trail. Not sure I would call either one of the trails with the name sale of Falls ... a water fall. Barely a trickle at both.

Mon Sep 25 2017

Mon Jun 19 2017

beautiful trail.

Sat May 27 2017

We love this trail. It's more challenging on one side where Lyon's Falls are, and we love the falls. We crossed the Covered Bridge and went back Pleasant Hill Trail because it is flat and easy after a long day of hiking Mohican. This time of year it is really muddy and slippery, but still very fun and beautiful. I suggest staying at the Lodge one time when you come, but you're bound to stay a lot! After hiking we came back to the Lodge for a swim and sit in the sauna. Now it's time for dinner and drinks....perfect ending to a perfect day out here in Mohican.

Tue Apr 04 2017

Very good experience. Gorgeous waterfall and the trails are extremely well marked. Couple fun but tricky crossing of little water streams (traversing a fallen tree). Met a Ranger at the trail head and she was super nice and gave me a map and advice . Will definitely go back.

Mon Feb 27 2017

Mon Jan 23 2017

Only reason it's not getting 5 stars is because of heavy traffic. Great trail, with a stream crossing if water is high. The bottom of Big Lyons falls was frozen but only about a foot, just wasn't cold enough.

Sun Aug 21 2016

We had a good time on this trail. We started at Lyons Falls. It was fun to climb down the rocks a bit by the cave. This site stated it was 6.3 mile loop and it's point-to-point, so unfortunately we didn't really have enough time to to Hemlock Gorge. We decided to turn around at covered bridge and go to Hog's Hallow Trail. That was awesome as well.

Tue May 17 2016

Alright !

Thu Jan 01 2015

Do not hike it when its frozen solid. Ice on the trail is very treacherous. Very steep and you can fall a long way down

Sat Aug 03 2013

Love Mohican!! My late dog and I use to pretty much live there. It's a must do if your in the area. Like the other hiker said easy from the dam then moderate once you get to the loop.

Sat Apr 16 2011

Always enjoy Mohican, especially the little and big lyon. Nice hike, from the dam it's fairly easy. Once you get on the falls loop it becomes moderate to demanding. Highly recommend this hike.