Lake Vesuvius Lakeshore Trail

Lake Vesuvius Lakeshore Trail is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pedro, Ohio that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wow! Magical. We hiked it clockwise... But....
I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND HIKING IT **COUNTERCLOCKWISE*** If you are starting at the dam, trailhead or kayak kiosk

I was rather tired by the time we got to the gems on the south side of the trail that I could not enjoy them as much if I would have been not as tired. You will thank me. I had read a suggestion to hike it counter clockwise but didn't do it.

Take some trunks. Swim.

Can be muddy in places. Recommend wearing hiking boots.

I stayed at Iron Ridge last night, site 33 is awesome, and hiked the lake trail today. It's extremely well marked. Really beautiful. Easy enough to complete but still gives you a workout. I walked clockwise. This was great because there was a rock outcropping about 2/3 through which was perfect for lunch. I will do this loop again hopefully in Fall.

it's actually a little more than 8 miles. really weedy in the summer but a great trail. not too hard. a couple difficult crossings but nothing too bad. my family loves it. dont forget your water. takes us about 3 and a half hours but we just stroll along at a slow pace and enjoy it. check for ticks also when you're done.

Great trail. Marked well.

I ran this in a little under 2 hours. Beautiful trail highly recommend. Easy to get lost in some areas so follow the signs. I saw a black snake on the trail and a deer ran out in front of me. Try to climb the big rock it’s a nice views. One side of the lake trail is very short while the other side is the majority of the distance.

This time of year lots of wildflowers. I try to get out every Spring to see them.

Fairly easy walk. It has moderate traffic around the dam but thins out the farther you go. It's busy around the boat dock as well.

Great trail to spend your day on. I most enjoy getting away from the crowds a few miles in and looking for plants and birds. the lake is fantastic at the far end, and there are lots of wonderful things to see along the way. It can be muddy in spots and sometimes the trail is nearly in the lake, but nothing too bad.

Balancing Rocks Trail a nice 4.5 mile loop trail. Great rock formations and cliffs.

A few spots do get muddy. Be wary of ticks and use insect repellant. A great day hike.

Well kept trail with some nice scenery. Have hiked this trail a few times and during warm weather it seems to have a great number of ticks. Other than that, great day hike.

paddle sports

Have been hiking and Canoeing here for 50 years. One of my favorite places to spend a day . Beautiful during all the seasons.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Great trail and beautiful views. Most of the trail is lakeshore but goes off shore for a bit. You got a bit of s Marsh area 3.4 miles in and its a lot of grass.... (bring bug repellant) the bugs were heavy in that area. After you get through that it's awesome. Views of the lake are great, I'd def do it again.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

My nephew and I ran the Lakeshore Trail and had a blast! Good hill climbs, lots to look at, and a couple of decent places to pick up the pace. It was boggy in a few spots and we each turned an ankle (not too bad) but all in all it was a quite good experience!!

Tuesday, May 09, 2017

It was so pretty! You got a lot of views of the lake and the water was beautiful. I will say it's kind of hard but if you are fully prepared it wouldn't be a problem. A little trash Around some areas near the dam.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Really enjoyed this hike. Trails are in great shape, a few muddy areas but nothing too terrible. It was a great day, forecast was rain but we went anyway-- not a drop. Nice breeze and so many local flowers/plants blooming.

Monday, April 10, 2017

It was a great hike, a bit muddy so don't bring shoes or clothes you're not willing to get dirty.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Starting on the pier gives you just about the easiest hike imaginable - for about four miles or so, anyway. After that point, when the view is more of creek beds and less of lake, it is slick, muddy, and frustrating - pretty much all the way to the beach.

The wildflowers coming up at this time of year are beautiful, and the trees aren't yet leafy enough to obscure the views of the lake.

Be prepared for a longer completion time than anticipated, however, due to significant hang-ups in the muddy stretch.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed this trail. I almost didn't go due to the reviews of how muddy it is or how people had to double back because of the confusing markers. I didn't find this to be the case. There were a few muddy places but were very passable if you went off the trail 6 feet and went around. I started at the boat ramp and did find that at about 2 1/4 miles in the bridge is partially out and it becomes very muddy but OH DNR has marked a secondary trail with pink ribbons that circles around that. Please don't hesitate to check out this trail. It was a peaceful walk that's not too strenuous and had a lot of wildlife to see as well as some scenic views. A definite thumbs up.

Monday, February 27, 2017

I really enjoy running on this trail. There are a few spots where it gets a bit confusing but hey it's the outdoors right.

Monday, February 27, 2017

It's a good trail but once you get near the other side of the lake it get very muddy. I would definitely recommend boots of some kind. I mean very muddy.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Great loop.

Saturday, September 17, 2016

I hiked the lakeshore trail and the back section of the backpack trail about a year ago. The lakeshore trail has some nice views of the lake as you go along. I went in the summer, but I think this would be a beautiful hike in the fall when the leaves are changing. The trail was a little confusing in the back where it intersects the horse trails. I think the bridge mentioned below was out when I was there as well.

I made a couple of videos of the trip. The first video can be found on my YouTube channel at the link below.

Monday, September 05, 2016

The trail was in great shape. Nice rock outcroppings

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

love this place!!! a few repairs need to be made for recent weather, but a great place to hike. love the Rock House!

Monday, July 25, 2016

Difficult to follow trail. Can be confusing. About 5 miles out encountered a destroyed bridge underwater with a difficult alternative path. Had children with and were forced to turn back just a little under half way. We may have gotten on path because we were about 6 miles out and no sign of half way. We were out past dark and overall miserable trip. Count on all day trip and take some form of gps to track the trail. Otherwise count on a confusing trail with flooded or broken bridges.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Loved the scenery and the peace and quiet at the Lake.

Monday, June 20, 2016