Lake Vesuvius Lakeshore Trail

Lake Vesuvius Lakeshore Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pedro, Ohio that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I thoroughly enjoyed this trail. I almost didn't go due to the reviews of how muddy it is or how people had to double back because of the confusing markers. I didn't find this to be the case. There were a few muddy places but were very passable if you went off the trail 6 feet and went around. I started at the boat ramp and did find that at about 2 1/4 miles in the bridge is partially out and it becomes very muddy but OH DNR has marked a secondary trail with pink ribbons that circles around that. Please don't hesitate to check out this trail. It was a peaceful walk that's not too strenuous and had a lot of wildlife to see as well as some scenic views. A definite thumbs up.

I really enjoy running on this trail. There are a few spots where it gets a bit confusing but hey it's the outdoors right.

It's a good trail but once you get near the other side of the lake it get very muddy. I would definitely recommend boots of some kind. I mean very muddy.

Great loop.

I hiked the lakeshore trail and the back section of the backpack trail about a year ago. The lakeshore trail has some nice views of the lake as you go along. I went in the summer, but I think this would be a beautiful hike in the fall when the leaves are changing. The trail was a little confusing in the back where it intersects the horse trails. I think the bridge mentioned below was out when I was there as well.

I made a couple of videos of the trip. The first video can be found on my YouTube channel at the link below.

The trail was in great shape. Nice rock outcroppings

love this place!!! a few repairs need to be made for recent weather, but a great place to hike. love the Rock House!

Difficult to follow trail. Can be confusing. About 5 miles out encountered a destroyed bridge underwater with a difficult alternative path. Had children with and were forced to turn back just a little under half way. We may have gotten on path because we were about 6 miles out and no sign of half way. We were out past dark and overall miserable trip. Count on all day trip and take some form of gps to track the trail. Otherwise count on a confusing trail with flooded or broken bridges.

Loved the scenery and the peace and quiet at the Lake.

love it

The tail itself was kind of boring. You got to look out on the lake a couple times, but not very scenic. Trying to navigate the trail can be very confusing. Just make sure you stay close to the lake. Overall decent trail.

The lakeshore trail is my favorite in the southern Ohio area. Both times I've done it I've seen a blue heron fly across the lake. I have never seen another person in the trail. Be ready to get your feet wet! There are signs of beavers absolutely everywhere. And it seems that a dam has caused part of the trail to become a shallow crossing. We made it across without getting too wet by walking on sticks.
A couple times the trail can be a little confusing. For instance, twice you come to a fork in the road and if you look down either trail there is a tree with a blue blaze. Always stick to the trail closest to the lake if you want to stick to strictly the lakeshore.
Also there was a part where the wooden signs were swapped. They were leaning against trees, out of their dug holes. We fixed it, but I'm not sure how it happened or why.
There's really something for everyone at lake Vesuvius though! It's not very difficult but beautiful scenery.