Jacobs Ladder and Christmas Rocks Trail

Jacobs Ladder and Christmas Rocks Trail is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hamburg, Ohio that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

cave

This was a great hike! make sure you park to the right by the covered bridge. This trail has a lot of single-person trails and steep grades, but are very well kept. The view at the top is very worth the hike. it took us 143 minutes and 5.0 miles start to finish for both yellow and blue trails. WE LOVED IT!!

awesome hike if you do both the orange and blue loops the trail is 4.5 miles. the trail is well kept and well marked. The entire time we were there we saw 12 people and 3 dogs, even though signs every where say no pets allowed. if you are looking for a challenge with few people to bother you it is worth the drive.

Very nice five-mile hike. Uphills, a view, some rock cliffs, and some nice Hemlock groves.

This is a perfect morning hike, quite pretty! There were lots of butterflies and we saw a deer. We passed very few people which was nice. The trail itself is comparable to the ones in Hocking Hills. I would recommend wearing lots of bug spray and watch for spider webs! Also there are no bathrooms or water fill areas so plan accordingly.

This is a very nice hike that provides a bit of elevation change, a nice little piece of pine forest, some interesting rock formations, and at least one nice summer view. Well worth the side trip if near the Hocking Hills region.

Cool trail in your backyard. Very well maintained trail. There is enough parking. Starts out with about a half mile gravel path, then goes to a flat dirt path, later there is some inclines and minor switch backs. It was a pleasant moderate hike. I did both loops in 2 hours including stops for pictures along the way. It was super hot which was nice, If you like that sort of thing. 2L of water was sufficient. A bit more bugs than some of the other trails I have been on, but nothing crazy. I liked the different aesthetics of the different sections of the trail, there is a small creek, a cool area with pine needles covering the ground, one overlook, and a cool little clearing under the tree canopy. Nice afternoon solo hike. Enjoy.

Some great views, trail well marked with low foot traffic

good workout, some switchbacks. couple steep inclines but consider it moderate hike.

I'd really rate it 4.5, but I can't. We did the orange loop and then the blue, coming back down the "backbone" part. I would say it was really a moderate hike, not difficult, but with a couple of steep hills. My 11 year old and 7 year old completed the entire thing with no problems and minimal whining. We saw box turtles, a northern ring snake, Indian Pipe flowers and some beautiful scenery.

The Christmas Rocks State Nature Preserve is near SR-33 and SR-22 near the Lancaster bypass. The trail begins at the Mink Hollow covered bridge over Arney Run then leads up a gravel road, past a gate, and along a double track trail to two loops. The first loop is Jacob's Ladder where there is a picturesque view to the west. The second loop is Christmas Rocks loop named for the Christmas ferns that line the trail. There are many "No Trespassing" signs but they only pertain to the properties to the left and right of the road. The nature preserve owns the road and trail loops. On the far end of the Christmas Rocks loop are wooden steps down a cliff. They are NOT part of the trail and just lead down to a hunting lodge. The trail is rated "Hard" only for the part of the trail that climbs the cliff face up to the view on Jacob's Ladder. Approached from the other orange trailhead where you'll see wooden steps the trail is no more than "Moderate" The best time to photograph the view is in the very early morning with the sunrise to your back illuminating the valley to the northwest.

Wow! What a pleasant surprise! I read a few reviews and decided to give this trail a try on a weekday afternoon. We only saw one other couple the entire time. Park by the covered bridge & follow the arrow to the trailhead. Don’t let the stroll up the gravel drive fool you. There is some fun and fairly challenging terrain awaiting you. I would suggest doing the blue loop first and then circling back to do the orange loop. Take your time on the blue loop to marvel in the biodiversity of the flora in this area. Beautiful, tall Tulip trees & a dense pine forest. If you come back on the far end (closest to the blue loop) of the orange trail, you’ll finish out the hike with a spectacular view that makes you forget you are in Ohio and a fun clamber down the steep section of the trail. A great way to spend an afternoon enjoying the best of what our state has to offer in terms of natural resources. Great job ODNR!

Really gets the heart pumping

Great trail to get the heart pumping. Lots of up and down and good length.

I really loved this hike, but mostly for personal reasons. I was in town for the weekend and needed to deeply ponder a life changing decision so I went on a hike, and, in that regard, it was as good as it gets. I was completely all alone (no bikers blazing by, no unleashed dogs) - just me, the trees and the breeze. It was awesome and just what I needed. I did both loops and toward the end hit the one magical view which was absolutely peaceful and serene. Well marked and maintained trail that I think I’d rate more as moderate though my calves did get a little burn along the way.

Beautiful and feels very remote.

Good views and hills. Hard to believe your only an hour from Columbus.

Love this place. Good amount of climbing once you get back to the orange and blue loops.

Nice hike with a couple of steep hills both up and down. One nice view with a few big rock formations. Walk along a river for a portion. Very quiet in the winter!

Well marked trail with some strenuous climbs

quiet, a little steep in places, just enough you know you are hiking. covered bridge next to parking lot.

Not many overlooks or long of a hike but great incline on both loops

Did both loops. great views.

Decent little hike, did both loops twice, did them once looking for a great sunrise view, turns out there is only one excellent view, I'd say the trail is moderate at best it's not that hard to do

nice scenery (For Ohio)

Sunday, September 17, 2017

Gets the heart rate up and offers a good workout with both loops. Great view, worth the climb!

Monday, September 11, 2017

Challenging but doable hike. Easy trail to a view at the top!

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Nice!!! Big trees and a lot of rock formations. Needs to be marked better

Sunday, August 13, 2017

First time hiking this trail, and we really enjoyed it. I recommend a route straight up Old Mill Hollow Road, and then taking the first (southernmost) turn onto the Jacob's Ladder Trail (orange blazes), returning to the mail trail (Old Mill Hollow) and immediately taking the southern trailhead for the Christmas Rocks trail. It'll return you to the central trail having done both the side loops, and this gets the (rather big and steep) hills over with quickly, letting the second half of the hike relax you into a mostly-downhill walk around the Christmas Rocks trail and back to the start. Trail is well marked and easy to follow, but in parts is pretty darn steep - if you're going soon after rains when the ground is damp, bring poles or you're likely to lose footing on some of the downslopes.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Very peaceful, amazing view. I got a great workout. I can't wait to go back.