Infirmary Mound Trail

Infirmary Mound Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Granville, Ohio that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Located minutes from Granville, Ohio in a rural setting off of SR 37 and 40 minutes from Columbus, Ohio, 15 minutes from Newark, Ohio this park has the right accessibility for most beginner to intermediate hikers. Wide trails in most places also make it very popular with horsemen. Park at the gravel paved horseman's parking lot towards the back of the park before the tree line. Behind the announcement board if you walk through the grass towards the tree you will find the trail head to your right a boulder with a plaque. Go straight or left (it loops back) then follow trail 15 through the prairie and either go straight or cut right (for a shorter walk). Take a map with you and explore all the trails. There is a variety from prairie, woods and it's not very hilly. Good for mountain biking, walking, trekking, cross country skiing, hiking, horseback riding. The versatility of this park makes it a favorite of mine.

The trails themselves aren't challenging, but I've found them to be great for photography. A quiet walk along the marsh behind the pond has yielded some awesome frog and snake photos, as well as tons of birds (redwing blackbirds love the marsh). I was able to catch some tadpole close ups and dragonflies along one of the smaller marshy ponds by the parking area. So is the trail itself an attraction? Just depends what you're looking for. Side note...yes, ticks are thick here. I walked out clean, but my friend found (literally) 14 on her when she got home.

Descent trail, new scenery for us. Would not want to do this trail on a hot day - lots of meadow walking. Trails marked okay, but sometimes hard to follow.

super boring and not well marked

Pretty boring trail. more of a horse trail (mowed grass path through a field) then anything else. it was fine, but nothing exciting.

good in the winter but avoid after rain because of mud from horses. Not moderate trail. It's easy.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Not a very interesting park. My dog was covered in ticks when we got home.

Monday, July 24, 2017

The trail system is wide, flat and easy to navigate with a copy of the park map. The extensive horse use detracts from an otherwise nice trail that is perfect for an easy walk with children or cross country skiing. There are only a few short sections of single track trail that can be avoided.

This trail is very easy; not even close to moderate.

Friday, May 26, 2017

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

well, I'm not a fan of sharing trails with horses.....and there were definitely horse hoofs throughout trails. not bad, but not a lot of interest. I picked 5 ticks off after 1/2 hour.

Sunday, April 16, 2017

A trail predominantly used by horses that is a little boring to hike. There are only a few hills and many long stretches of flat ground. The trail has markers but my wife and I often found it difficult to figure out which way to go. I would not recommend this trail for hikers but we were nearby visiting family so we gave it a try.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The trail scenery is great! It is primarily a horse trail. I went just after a hard rain to test out my gear. I agree it is a moderate level trail due to the fact that the trail is not marked very well and a new hiker could get turned around easily. There were no other hikers when I went.
Found the place where they have Civil War reenactments.

Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Beautiful time of year to hike the trails. Colorful crunching of leaves under your boots.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Great for the beginner and kids. Flat with a lot of wooded areas.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Nice trail. Has a fenced in dog park. People r friendly. Our dogs enjoyed the woods.

Sunday, July 02, 2017