Hope Furnace Trail to Yosemite Falls and Copperhead Trail

moderate 6 reviews

Hope Furnace Trail to Yosemite Falls and Copperhead Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Zaleski, Ohio that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.6 miles Elevation Gain: 570 feet Route Type: Loop

Perfect little challenge if you are looking for a little push in your hike with many other trails that intersect to add miles to your hiking day.

Decent trail but not much in the way of scenery. It was a hot 90 degree day and I didn't see another soul on the trail. Not much mud despite all the recent rain and rain earlier in the day. There are small streams throughout which my allowed my pup to drink all he wanted and to cool off a little. The Yosemite Falls trail both had no falls (that I could see) and is completely incorrect on this map. If you go around counterclockwise as I did, there is a point where several trails converge at the top. I took the one with the sign that said "Yosemite Falls" and from that point the GPS never lined up with the map in AllTrails. It's probably a good 1.5 miles longer than indicated here and this portion has several downed trees that I had to go over, under or around. It also looks here like this part connects off the Yosemite trail but I didn't see anything like another trail connecting to the Falls trail. The trails have signs with arrows but not maps, which I found a little confusing when paired with the AllTrails map which has different names for parts. This led me to go the wrong direction for a few minutes before realizing my error. In all this "5.6 mile" trail was 8.4 miles according to my phone. Not a big deal but it was unexpected.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Map isn’t quite right. Actually ended up being between 6.7 and 7.1 miles (my fiancée logged the former using ResQwalk and I logged the latter using Charity Miles). GPS was off from the AllTrails map. The Yosemite Falls and Yosemite Trails don’t really intersect until the top most point of the map. And, sadly, we never saw falls at the top of the map (although some cool small falls in the first mile and a nice walk through the valley after that). The trail posts are far and few between with no blazes, but if you follow to the Yosemite Falls trail marker, there is a decent hilly loop back via Yosemite Trail. Mostly used by Mountain Bikers, it’s probably a great ride but a somewhat arduous and monotonous hike with no waterfall payoff. That said, the first 1-2 miles along the lake and into the hollow are beautiful, the trail was scarcely populated (which meant we could let the dogs run free for a bit) and it was a decent workout. If you are mountain biking, this could be fun and challenging. If you are looking to increase endurance, give this a try. But for views? We’d be more inclined to try the Iron Furnace out and back trail, which starts at the same spot, is 3 miles each way, and promises better views (but less isolation).

Mon Oct 01 2018