Great Miami River Trail: Middletown to Piqua

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(34)
Dayton, Ohio

Great Miami River Trail: Middletown to Piqua is a 68.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Dayton, Ohio that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 68.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,164 feet Route Type: Point to Point

paved

I run 6 miles 5 days a week. I really enjoy the scenery and the change of pace from my previous loop that I was running. It is quiet (except when they're mowing the grass). Plus there's hno one on the trail when I go running. I usually wear earbuds so even the mowers don't distract me. The only issue I have and it's nothing that can be done to resolve it, is all the geese. If I had to complain about anything that would be it. Other than that, the trail is great and the scenery is nice.

Not good just a plain bike trail next to the river, not scenic at all and we heard gunshots the whole time bc it’s next to the armory

flooded

Mon Apr 22 2019

First 6 miles of southern bike path: 3 miles in the bike path is washed out even with the river low. You can walk through the grass to get around it, but be prepared to get muddy.

Mon Mar 18 2019

I hiked the whole trail, not too many complaints. Some parts get really muddy and slippery after rain.

Sun Oct 21 2018

Great trail!

Tue Sep 11 2018

We frequent this trail, the southern portion is fairly crowded but northern part especially from Morrow to Yellow Springs is relaxed and serene.

Sun Jul 08 2018

This trail was beautiful to jog through, but, with it being a bike trail also, I found it to be pretty dangerous when the bikers didn't make themselves known as they approached from behind and I believe it would be more efficient if they had separate trails for jogging and bikes. There's also need for more signs for indication, because there's mini trails that lead out from the main trail to who knows where and hormonal teenagers or adults even will take advantage of that when this trail is family oriented. I spotted two today making out by the river and while the scenery is nice, it's not the place for that and it suggest that security needs to be upped. Until they try to improve this trail I'll be jogging on down another.

Mon Jun 26 2017

Dayton - "City of Trails". Should be "City of Closed Trails". Nothing but poorly marked detours. One detour in Dayton ran me right through a bridge construction site. I nearly wrecked my road bike because of deep sand. Another detour took me down the most horrible road I ever road on! It went right past a recycling center, nothing but broken glass on the road. I got a flat tire as a result. Was only able to ride 5 miles of trail each way from the Air Force Museum. I traveled 150 miles to ride 22. Pathetic! At least the Air Force Museum was awesome....because it is run by the Air Force and not Dayton.

Fri Sep 30 2016

I also enjoyed this ride. The day was beautiful about three days ago.

Fri Sep 30 2016

Sorry that Paul did not enjoy this trail. We did . I thought it was cool to follow the river. The day was beautiful and so was some of the scenery.

Fri Sep 02 2016

Why are paved bike paths included in trails. I am a trail runner who wants to run on unpaved trails. I wish we had more of these. The bike paths we have in this area are very boring. Yes they are long, but they are also very straight because they were converted from railroads. We do have a great connector near me in Miamisburg - Medlar and that is very nice. Now I wish we could put a nice dirt trail to run on. Running on dirt is great for knees, hips, etc

Mon Aug 29 2016

A paved riverside path, running through downtown Dayton, connecting to many other trails.