Geology, Wildflower and Upland Trail Loop

Geology, Wildflower and Upland Trail Loop is a 1.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Union, Ohio that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

Several parking areas, $9/daily or $35/annual (rotating 12 month) pass for park use.

Well maintained trail. Have hiked year round. Very dog friendly. Check Cincinnati Nature Center website for activities. Lots of programs.

Great trails, well maintained and very helpful staff.and I was happy to pay the entrance fee. Main difference between here and many other parks with no fee is there was no litter anywhere. Will definitely go back.

Nice loop that takes you down to a creek with several small waterfalls. Water level in creek varies greatly with recent rainfall. More rainfall equals better waterfalls, but unbridged creek crossings can then be a problem. Only real downside is the high entrance fee. Overall, best hike at Cincinnati Nature Center.

only managed the redwing half of the perimeter. wonderful couple of hours.

Love it!

My wife and I have been members of Cincinnati Nature center for many years. It is without a doubt the best place for day hiking in the greater Cincinnati area. The scenery is great and varied, from meadows to streams to rugged hillsides and great forest. The trails are well maintained and marked clearly. The upside to a fee being charged or having a membership is you RARELY see a piece of trash or garbage ANYWHERE. I never get tired of hiking here. If you go very early in the morning on a weekend you will not see many people. As it gets closer to noon things really start to pick-up especially in the summer. If you live in the greater Cincinnati area and love to hike, bird or just be outdoors, I would highly encourage a membership. They have great education programs for children as well as adults. It's a great place to get your kids outside and teach them the beauty of the natural world. Can't say enough good things about CNC!!!

The Cincinnati Nature Center is one of my favorite places on earth. My Mom felt the same way, which is why the first bench on the lake boardwalk is dedicated to her...Ellen Kobman. She volunteered there for years and instilled in me and my twin sister her love for its beauty, serenity, awe-inspiring scenery, and abundance of wildlife. On a sunny day, you'll see more turtles and frogs in their many ponds than you'll seen anywhere else in the Tri-state area. Don't be surprised if you also see raccoons, fox, deer....more critters and variety of birds than you can count. I see something different every time I go, and I never leave without a smile on my face, a filled soul, and a happy heart. Go....you won't be disappointed. My Mom will make sure if that. :)

Completed the perimeter hike, minus the Lookout Trail loop. The trip is upload and little over 7.5 miles. The full loop would be 8.8 mils. With exception of couple of portions, this trail is more easy than moderate. Well marked and great trail system so close to the city. Many different ways to vary mileage and difficulty. As noted in other reviews, $9 admission per person, $2 per dog.

I believe that this is the same as the Cincinnati Nature Center. It costs $9 per person to enter. There is also an option to purchase a membership. For those who live in the area, this may prove to be worthwhile. Although, I wasn't expecting the entrance fee, the system of trails did not disappoint. I spent a few hours there, trail map in hand. It seems to be a popular area to hike. The outer loops, which were more difficult, had fewer people, especially in the early afternoon. There is a trail for all skill levels, and the trails make up a continuous network, which allow for a very long trek. The scenery is beautiful, the trails pretty well marked, and the employees and fellow hikers were friendly. Most enjoyable for me was the creek, with stepping stones placed strategically for easy crossing. I don't think I could ever get tired of this place!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Many trails to choose from within the nature preserve, out trails will be less crowded. The park can sometimes be very crowded. Great place for families. Keep in mind there is a fee for use.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

This was one of our favorite trails, however the $9.00 per person to enter the center did put a damper on our faimily's finanical officer's spirit since 3 of us participated today (I personally thought it was worth it though). There are many more trails to hike than what we found from online research. Take an updated trail map at the entrance gate, or at the main trail head sign. It was confusing for me in finding the correct trailhead for the actual trail I wanted to start on, but I lucked out and we took one that was a little longer (which is what I wanted). A few of the trails are behind the Education center hidden from the parking lot. The trail makers are the best I have ever seen and you can't get lost. Every intersection had one. I like the fact that each marker has a "P" and an arrow showing the fastest route back to the parking lot. The trail itself is about 4 feet wide with gravel throughout most of it. Some of typical trail areas that puddle and turn to soup after a good rain had some rock balast seen on railroads added to them which was a nice touch. Some areas had the gravel washed away showing some underlayment / barrier for erosion and weed control. That was a first for me. It was an extremely nice path. We took the "wood pecker trail" and a few shorter ones to get there. There was some benches along the way to allow us to take some selfies and catch our breath. The wooden bridges are super slick when wet. Be careful. I totally recommend this if $$$ is not an issue.
$40 for annual membership, $75 for family membership, $9 for adult daily.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

I love this place. It has lots of great trails. They have trails that are leisurely and trails that will give you a work out. The trails are very pretty and well maintained.

Friday, July 01, 2016

I think this place is great for hiking! It offers many trails and if you are looking for a good workout and scenic experience, then take the outer loop of all the trails and you will get a good 8.8 miles of hiking! There is good elevation change and it is heavily forested, with some prairie areas. Among the long loop trail are about 10 different trails of different difficulties and lengths to offer a range of choices. There are many places to take breaks, like benches and overviews to enjoy nature along the way.

Monday, May 23, 2016

CNC is my favorite place to go hiking in east Cincinnati or really Cincinnati. It's conveniently located for me, as well as having a variety of trails. The trails are nice to get myself seasoned for my more bigger hikes in the year. I don't mind the admission , instead of paying admission for one day I opted for a membership. The membership has many benefits as well as many great educational opportunities. I like it as well because not just anyone is allowed to hike on the trails...

It's a great place to hike, I know many people said its not "wilderness-ey" enough but we're in Cincinnati... Soooooo

Saturday, May 21, 2016

$9.00 admission for adults. We just wanted a quick morning hike. Won't be back.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Beautiful trails...didn't realize how extensive it was. Will be visiting often.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Have always loved hiking here. Trails are well maintained and vary in length and difficulty. Represents just how beautiful Ohio can be!

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Best place for trail running, hiking, walking, sight seeing in Cincinnati.

Friday, December 25, 2015

Well marked and well maintained.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

My 16 year old daughter and I love this place. She was so excited to see the turtle's, frogs, fish, deer, turkey and the various bird's along the trails. only bad is it's $8 per person or family pass for $75 for a year. it's well worth the money for family time and the exercise. This place has many trails so you can mix it up from easy to hard Once you go you will be hooked my friend, hope this helps