Fort Ancient Memorial Earthworks Trail is a 2.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Oregonia, Ohio that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There is more to this place then simply hiking... it is a historic site, and highly recommend taking some time to visit the museum so that you can appreciate the origins of this fascinating place. Keep in mind what part of the country you are in when evaluating this route - a four star in Ohio is much different than a four star in upstate New York. I rated this trail based upon the understanding that the majority of Ohio is relatively flat, this area is not, and the historical significance of this place is very unique.

Monday, September 04, 2017

We started with the fort trail. It was uphill and an enjoyable workout. Then we joined the gorge trail. Majority of this trail was so close to the gorge with barely any distance between staying on the trail and falling off. It had rained two days before and parts of this trail was muddy and slippery. We didn't have the app with us and this trail lasted forever. It was beginning to feel scary that we'd never find the parking lot. The trail was pretty, (though I've hiked on prettier trails) except we had no idea we were signing up to hike for nearly 7 miles total that day. It was too much for my 9 year old. I will hike there some time again.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Our family visited the museum and hiked/walked about 3 miles in total. I thought the trails were fairly well marked. Great trail for a first timer, and my 9 year old enjoyed it.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

narrow trails

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Hiked this trail yesterday. Very muddy but gorgeous. Wildflowers and trees in bloom.

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Great hike. Fairly strenuous, but the woods ands scenery are beautiful. The snake effigy is in private campground, though you can access it if you are careful.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Enjoyed this trail to and through Fort Ancient. Followed the bike path from Morgan's canoe livery to the Eagle trail connector. The connector takes you to the parks northern overlook or as I did you can take the Terrace trail to the right shortly before reaching the overlook. Along this trail the Miami river valley will be on your right and above to the left will be the earthworks. The Terrace trail will eventually connect with the Earthworks trail that follows the wall around the inside perimeter. Follow this trail around to the north overlook and return down the Eagle trail to connect back to yah bike path.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

This is an easy trail and there is a lot of history behind it, I loved visiting the museum they have near the trail head.

Friday, June 21, 2013

I didn't care for this park as the trails were pretty short and there wasn't much nice scenery. Being a dedicated hiker, though, I'm unhappy with any park that has trails that are any less than five miles. For the average hiker looking for a nice short hike though, this park is perfect. One thing I did enjoy was the historical Native American artifacts and areas. Overall, a nice and interesting park, but not the place to go if you're looking for a serious hike.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

The hike was beautiful, and well taken care of, the Fort Ancient mound museum is close by and is a great place to visit after the hike, it also has a great gift shop

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Beautiful location, amazing earthworks. Well worth a lengthy stay.

Monday, September 11, 2017