Deer Park Reservoir via Mahoning Valley Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(31)
Alliance, Ohio

Deer Park Reservoir via Mahoning Valley Trail is a 8.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Alliance, Ohio that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.8 miles Elevation Gain: 209 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I highly recommend this trail to anyone in the area. Nice, easy walk through with no drastic changes in elevation.

Wasn't terrible, but I'm just not fond of walking on the road for long periods of time. Also, the trail takes you right by a sewage treatment plant, which is olfactory purgatory. Deer Park Reservoir is quite pretty though.

Trail is barely gravel’d, making for muddy and slick conditions for most of the year. Flat and easy trail but still scenic, following headwaters of Mahoning River. Parking and access are adequate.

Walked half the trail today. Some places the trail was covered in green moss so it looked like carpet. It was beautiful. I can see how it could be muddy after rain like some reviewers have mentioned. The bugs weren’t too bad at all. Turned around early because it started to rain. Pretty walk.

even though parts of the trail were flooded it made the hike more interesting.

I've been on this trail quite a few times. It's a great trail to be on! Although it was muddier than usual, still had a great time and got a good workout! Was a little buggy, but thats expected! There were some patches of large-rock gravel that I felt like I was going to wreck on, but I'm fine! I encountered a couple of people reducing the brush, and I accidentally scared one of them. All in conclusion, good trail!

Mon May 06 2019

Sat Sep 08 2018

I grew up fishing and picnicking at Deer Creek. The trail is nice, well maintained. There is a short on road section. I vary my trips by sometimes starting at Early Hill park. Follow your map!

Thu Aug 03 2017

I just can't give it 5 stars. For starters, the mosquitoes are INSANE on this trail. I look like I have a pox right now because of all the bites. Also, this trail goes up on the road for a stretch, though I know plans are in the works to get it off the road. And lastly, some jerks whose property backs up against the trail were literally shooting BB guns (at me?) while I walked the trail with my dog. Not cool. On the plus side, there are some scenic parts and nice views of the river/lake.

Thu Jul 27 2017

If you are going to do this trail I recommend bug spray as the mosquitoes are horrendous. Other than that it is a nice trail with plenty of wooded areas and a nice view of the lake.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Nice path to walk, the bridge with the water running underneath is nice. Just sucks it's not very long and dead ends into a road.

Wed Mar 29 2017

Nice little getaway from the city view. Lots of trees and good views.

Mon Dec 26 2016

Noisy. Dead ends behind sewage plant.

Sun Oct 02 2016

Great trail. Around a mile of the trail is along the road but the rest of it follows a small creek. Cons. You're always able to hear traffic, but all in all a very easy and relaxing hike.

Sat Sep 07 2013

I had a great time walking there. However, I could only go halfway because of construction on a bridge. Will definitely go back to bike there.

Tue Apr 23 2019