Deer Lick Cave Loop Trail

Deer Lick Cave Loop Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Brecksville, Ohio that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and fishing and is best used from June until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Always like it!

Good 4 mile trail. Some hills, 1 or 2 river crossings

Great hills to climb for a nice workout for a beginner.

This was an awesome hike. Very hilly terrain. Great scenery and good trail. The only reason I gave it 4 stars is because there were a few moments where the trail markers were unclear. Also, you do have to cross a few streets, but it is mostly deep woods.

The whole trail is almost 5 miles, lots of hills! Great workout, and once you get past the nature center and construction it becomes peaceful and not too many people. You cross a few roads on the trail and walk along the path nearing the road for a few minutes, but mostly hiking in the woods. Lots of markers to keep you on track, and not end up lost or onto another path, like I do sometimes, lol. Some steep cliffs so be careful. Oh and I saw a coyote!

Really enjoyed this trail. Creek crossings, cave, waterfalls, lots of wildlife...what more could you ask for?!?

Muddy, obstacles, and awesome!

Nice trail, not always marked well, but the path is well worn. Very muddy right now, “cave” is a lot smaller than I thought but still nice. Decent elevation, especially for Ohio.

little bit muddy!

First time at this trail and was happily surprised by how nice it was. Ended up being around 4 miles with nice elevation changes. Took our 9 month old border collie with us and she had no troubles. We went counter clockwise and enjoyed the small waterfall at the end of the hike - for where we parked at. Really enjoyed this hike & I’m looking forward to going back in the summer!

Trees down everywhere blocking many parts of the trail. Some apparently for months. Truly sad that park maintenance staff haven’t done their jobs. I probably could be a nice trail but not in its current state of disrepair.

I really enjoyed this hike. Lots of gentle hills and valleys, and enjoyed the rocks and “cave”. Really looking forward to returning in the spring when everything is green.

Beautiful trail with a lot of hills!

Parking is limited but the trail is really pretty

Followed the red trail to the green trail. Red trail wasn't marked that well and at times we had to guess that we were going the right way. Red trail shares time with the horse trail so that meant most of the walk was covered in horse poop, so that was annoying trying to go up the hills and around the poop all the time. We went backward on the green trail and went up the hills. The green trail seemed more populated with dog walkers everywhere. It was a beautiful day and the trails were pretty. I didn't see trash and the water was clear. Stopped at the Nature Center and it was a cute little stop.

Great trail to hike with the family.

Monderate for sure. Beautiful scenery was beautiful.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

A lot of steep hills both up and down. Recommend starting at the trail head so you don't see the best parts first.

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Nice little cave and ledge like features. But if you explore above the small waterfall near the cave the way the water has carved out its path in the rock is kinda cool if you ask me.

Friday, June 09, 2017

We've done this trail many times, winter through summer. There are some great hills and a valley that leads to the nature center. We end up on the bridal trail and near the end of the hike there is a very steep hill! Several creeks to cross and hills to climb. We love it! We veer off the trail some to catch the bridal trail because it presents more of a challenge. If you do the trail backwards, counter clockwise, there are more uphills than downhills.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

It's probably the time in here, but a very muddy trail. The Nature Center was a nice sidetrack.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Fun Little day hike. I did this loop and where the Buckeye trail branches off i followed it out to the towpath to the chippewa bridge to take some pictures. Then headed back and finished the loop. Added maybe 3 miles to the day but it was well worth it. The loop by itself would be maybe a bit lackluster as the feature was not what i was expecting. would do it again though with family or friends. Would be a good trail run as well.

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Great trail! Very well marked, scenic, great elevation to break up the flat parts.

Thursday, November 03, 2016

One of my favorite trails.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Beautiful trail. At times the red trail was poorly marked. The carpet of leaves could not give hints when the markings were poor. Not many other hikers for a Saturday afternoon. Challenging terrain at times which made it fun. Nature center was very nice. Nice to have restrooms as well.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Nice hills to break a sweat. Pretty busy on this beautiful fall day. If you seek total solitude try another trail

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Nice trail, but the overlap with the bridle trail is an annoyance. There was also one section unclearly marked when doing the trail clockwise--about halfway through (starting at nature center), I made my way down a section of trail that must have been closed down, but it still had a faded red trail marker on its path. Once down the steep closed off section, it was unclear whether to go left or right on the trail you meet (the answer is left). I guess what you're expected to do instead is follow the buckeye trail back up to the road and then back down... this was clearer going counter clockwise. I wouldn't go back here with my dog because there's too much bridle trail overlap. Salt Run a bit further south has similar difficulty and elevation, but is in my opinion nicer and has no horses/horse poo, so I'll stick to that one. Still a nice trail, with some very challenging sections mixed in with natural beauty.

Thursday, August 04, 2016

Loop trail is very peaceful and somewhat scenic, moderate hike. Great for dogs and children. Never heavy traffic in early morning. I visit almost weekly! Buckeye trail also runs through here.

Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Getting there from the nature center was definitely a hike but was pretty worth it. The cave was neat.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

very fun trail! lots of roots so mind your stepping when trail running