Cantwell Cliffs Loop

Cantwell Cliffs Loop is a 1.8 mile loop trail located near Rockbridge, Ohio and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Interesting cliffs and caves with unimproved trails. A trip around the rim of Cantwell Cliffs is one of the more difficult tours in the Hocking Hills parks. There are some sharp climbs and descents, washed out bridges, fallen trees blocking trails, and well worn steps. These restrictions make this hike one of the least visited areas. It turns out that if you take on the challenge, you'll get to experience a "No Waiting" tour of natural features in each of the other parks in the area. As you can see from the TOPO map, I took a side trip along part of the extension that goes along the ravine to the North. This can add another mile to your hike. I was with friends who weren't up for the extension, so I let them rest and ran about a quarter mile north and back. The extension had a washed out bridge and a few fallen trees when I was there. Be prepared for adventure.

This trail was awesome. We were in Hocking Hills 8 months ago and didn't have time to make it here. I'm so glad we got the opportunity this time!

This and the Rock House have moved into favorite spots! Although Grandma Gatewood is still amazing with the views and terrain and toughness, as well as a good test of endurance, I found these trails to be more awe-inspiring.

Careful this time of year. It is extremely muddy and can be slippery and dangerous. I was happy that I have good log walking skills as they helped me over some very murky areas and deeper streams and I didn't have to rely on trust that my boots would keep my feet dry when completely submerged in water.

Beautiful winter hike. We can't wait to go back this summer. Lots of stairs help to amp up the workout.

Favorite hike in the hocking hills area

Absolutely loved it!!

Beautiful trails. Very high breathtaking cliffs.

Nice hike. Not to strenuous. Week days are best due to it being less crowded. Scenery is great.

Google map directions to site are accurate. Parking and restroom at trailhead. Take photo of trail map to use as you hike. Trails are obvious with various check points often with map stands. Loop and back is easy walk and pleasant. Then look for mid level trail to see cliff formations. If you take rim trail you will miss these worth seeing sites. Can be busy on weekends.

Gorgeous! This trail is amazing and has beautiful views that will take your breath away. Although the trails have some hazardous points, it is well worth it if you are up for the challenge.