Caldwell Nature Preserve Trail

Caldwell Nature Preserve Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cincinnati, Ohio that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

bridge out

2.7 mile trail near Carthage, Ohio A really great, little known gem.  Trails wind along ridges formed by Mill Creek Watershed. Good elevation change as you pass over bridges through gorges.  Forest is full of mature Beech, Walnut, Oak.  This preserve is a glimpse at what the Mill Creek valley might have been before industrialization.

This trail is great if you have small children. I've been on this trail before but I stayed up high on the trials. Today we stayed low in the shallow creek bed. We took it all the way down and from the distance could see a small pool like area. Got down there and it was mill creek as far as the eye could see both ways!!! It's shallow enough at the point to walk across. Came to the waist of my 6yr old! Bring a change of clothes if you plan to take the creek bed down to the larger creek.

This was my first hike along the trail and I was not impressed. Starting off the trail was wide, well marked and well maintained. However, as we followed the trail we kept reaching unmarked forks in the trail. We had to keep guesing which fork would continue us on the loop. When we would guess wrong the trail would eventually reach a dead end, or continue down a clearly unofficial trail.

To make matters worse, there are sections of the trails that have been closed, but the trail markers that exist at those forks have not been updated. The trail markers still cheerfully direct you down paths that are obviously closed (tree trunks placed over the path and mostly overgrown).

I doubt we will come back to hike the trails again.

I love this Preserve! It is a hidden jewel! Spring is the best time same as fall. Not too many people know about this park so you get the park for yourself! Our dog loves it too!

We enjoy the hills and views. A couple areas are a bit challenging. i.e. Getting across fallen trees, or a slope that may be slippery. Fun

In the winter this trail doesn't get you far away from the train and street noise or the golf course to really feel like you are in nature. Might try it again once the leaves are on the trees.